FS: 1959 WM500 Power Giant Dually 4x4 2 ton flatbed! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Classifieds > Vehicles and Trailers For Sale
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 03:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 93030
FS: 1959 WM500 Power Giant Dually 4x4 2 ton flatbed!

1959 Dodge Power Giant W500 4x4

OK, so this is a VERY rare 1959 Power Giant. It is a Dually, factory 4x4 and a stick.
To be honest, I don't know a ton about it, but I'll tell you everything I know.
This truck is actually owned by my Uncle, who has lost interest in his Power Wagon collection.
It was a bit of an addiction for a while, but they don't get driven much, so they are for sale..
You can deal with me directly on this purchase, as I have been the caretaker and mechanic for his collection for years. If you want to know anything, get pictures, arrange a test drive, etc, you can deal directly with me.
That makes this whole thing easier, though at the end, he'll be the one signing the bill of sale.
So this is a 1959, which was used originally in Washington State as a brush fire truck. When new, this thing had a big pumper body on it, and had a cutout in the passenger fender for a spark arrestor (don't want to start MORE brush fires while it is idling!). So the truck has VERY low miles, the original tires, and is very original with a few exceptions....

First, the motor has been replaced. Long, long ago. Apparently sitting there idling it and putting out fires, they burned out the original motor. So there is a V8 of some sort (I want to say it is a 413?? But I don't know that much about mopar V8's. If you want closeups of the motor, lemme know, and we can work out what's in it </p>
Second, the pumper body was removed by the second owner. My Uncle bought the truck from Colorado from a very nice gentleman who put the flatbed on it.

Third, there is a hole in the passenger side fender where the exhaust used to come out. There is a Brand new OEM fender that comes with the truck with no hole to fix that, though.</p>

So now on to a general description of the truck. This thing is beyond heavy duty. The axles are massive. Not some D80 weakness, and not rockwells. They are rated as 2 tons, I believe.
All the running gear is excellent. It shifts into 4x4, and the transfer case is smooth. Truck starts right up and runs and drives fine. It is a little loud at the moment, because it doesn't have a muffler on it, but if you want to commute in it, I'll put one on for ya.
The drivers side roll down window is cracked (but complete), and the bench seat is torn where the driver sits. But overall, the truck is VERY solid.

Best of all, she's HUGE. See the comparison pictures I took below. The plan for this was to stick a rollback on it, and maybe some swampers, and use this to trailer the Red PW to shows. But, like many other projects, we never quite got to it.

Here's a shot of her in the sun. Notice the giant steel front bumper, and the intact brightwork.I also dig the big west coast mirrors.

Here's a shot of the side. Notice the badging from its former life in WA which has been painted over. The big rig style saddle tank is functional. That truck behind it is a Full Mack Thermodyne Road Tractor... So this this is colossal.

Here she is with the Mack again. I should have parked a normal car next to it for scale.

Here's a shot of her with the rest of the power wagon collection. The grey one is a 300. One ton with duals For scale. That one has been sold. The Red one is a military style (classic) Power Wagon. Also note the GS1150 BMW motorcycle in there for scale.

Here she is with the Mack again. You can also see a 1958 MGA (far right) and a D2 Cat crawler in this picture, too.

This is a shot of the engine. Some kind of Dodge V8. You can see the hole in the Pass fender on the left of this picture. She runs fine, but I haven't taken it out and messed with it. And it isn't like this is a commuter.

I need to add some more pictures, of course, but I figured someone would want this for a unique way to haul their vintage off road racer, crawler, or even hotrod to a show.

Price on this stuff is always totally impossible to figure out. Because of the rarity, and the fact that she isn't a messed up basket case, I'd like to get 7000.00 out of it. The truck is located in the Bay Area of CA, and is available to look at. If you are serious, and would like to talk on the phone (I can do a walkaround while you are on the phone, and talk through anything and take pictures), let me know.

Email me at: DanielBruceReid@hotmail.com, or IM me here.

Last edited by dbreid; 09-06-2010 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Fixing HTML
dbreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 93030
Here's a couple more shots.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 1499
I don't know about the PW's, but that shop is. Are those roll-up doors to seperate the trucks from the rest of the shop? (a shop within a shop)
Old 09-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 93030
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineTx View Post
I don't know about the PW's, but that shop is. Are those roll-up doors to seperate the trucks from the rest of the shop? (a shop within a shop)
Yes. They separate the fleet from the main part of the warehouse/shop. As you can see, this truck has led a pampered life for the last several years. This has been in the collection for about 4 years (I think... I am a little blurry on the memory these days) and has been inside the whole time.

I actually posted this on the vintage power wagon forums and stuff (And honestly, I expect a collector to wind up with it, given its rarity, and the desirability of the year), but as an offroader myself, I'd secretly love to see this thing on 53's with a Cummins in it, with a superbad buggy on the back.

-Dan
Old 09-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 93030
More pictures.

I put a bunch more pictures here:

http://www.reid.org/~dreid/WM500/WM500.htm

But there's a shot of the front axle for reference:

That thing is a BEHEMOTH. Here's the rear end of this thing:

Any idea what axles those are?

-Dan
Old 09-05-2010, 06:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 128508
toys

nice toy collection, cool B61 mack
Dirt Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 12647
Send a message via MSN to TruckTrader
God I love that red powerwagon! Bump for a cool Dodge

Formula Toyota #034
TruckTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 93030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Man View Post
nice toy collection, cool B61 mack
Thanks! The Mack is for sale as well if you are interested. She runs great, but as we sold the vintage Stainless trailer she used to tow, we don't really use her for anything these days. If you are interested, PM/email me and I can get you pictures/details.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 23545
We just sold one of those that used to be a fire truck. Only had 14,000 original miles on it. Super cool trucks. The one we sold is now a offroad tow truck somewhere in montana! Good luck with the sale and second on the bad ass shop and toys!
crewchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 93030
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewchief View Post
We just sold one of those that used to be a fire truck. Only had 14,000 original miles on it. Super cool trucks. The one we sold is now a offroad tow truck somewhere in montana! Good luck with the sale and second on the bad ass shop and toys!
This would make an excellent tow truck.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 103610
Send a message via AIM to jeep937
Love these old Dodges. Bump.
jeep937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 171638
Dan,
Those ARE Rockwell axles.......FDS750 front, H141 rear. Rockwell transfer case too!
712edf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 66838
Cool stuff, thanks for sharing and good luck with the sale