Pirate 4x4 banner

Stainless Steel Dave: Picture Project.

50K views 191 replies 69 participants last post by  rochead 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm sure many of you here are familiar with and have met "Stainless Steel Dave". I'm working on a project for Dave, restoring and digitizing many of his pictures. Some of the pics going back to the late seventies and early eighties.

I will be working on this for the next couple of weeks and will be adding pictures to the gallery as I go. Great picture history showing the beauty of the trail and Sierra Nevada's.

Dave: Below is a pic I pulled out of one of the more faded albums.

Before:

After:

And here is the Phone Booth shot at Big Sluice:)

Person Unkown:

Dave on the phone:

Dave: Back in the day, seems nothing much has change:)

Sluice Box: Circa 1984.

Gallery with unprocessed pics will be updated as I go, Take a look linky below:
http://gallery.me.com/greentwins1#100300

See less See more
#4 ·
thank you tim. you did a great job fixing some of the faded pics i had-you are talented my friend!hopefully you can sort thru the book you have and share with everybody the pics of the rubicon from the 50's and 60's not all of them-that would be too much work! just the ones that you think would be interesting as far as trail history/fun pics of the early jeeper jamborees from the beginning. many of the personal pics i gave you are from the mid 70's to the late 80's. the largest tire we could buy back then were 33's or 35's!!. things have changed quite a bit in 32 years!

#6 · (Edited)
"Jeepers Jamboree The first 30 years..."

"Jeepers Jamboree The first 30 years..." What an amazing book. Thanks again Dave for giving us the opportunity to share this.

I plan on scanning as much of it as I can but at 436 pages it may be easier to just pick the best of the best as you suggested:)

Here is the map and one of the first articles...cool stuff for sure:smokin:

As a side note I noticed the book has Copyrights from 1983 if this is going to be an issue just let me know and I will pull it:(

#17 ·
"Jeepers Jamboree The first 30 years..." What an amazing book. Thanks again Dave for giving us the opportunity to share this.

I plan on scanning as much of it as I can but at 436 pages it may be easier to just pick the best of the best as you suggested:)

Here is the map and one of the first articles...cool stuff for sure:smokin:

As a side note I noticed the book has Copyrights from 1983 if this is going to be an issue just let me know and I will pull it:(
Ok so I have to ask..if you look at the map,,near Uncle Tom's cabin it reads "ladies side" and "men's side" wentworth road splits the two...I would imagine there were showers or a lake can someone explain this,,,I know I must be asking a stupid question.:shaking::rolleyes:

#10 ·
thank you again tim for all of your effort/skills/experiance/ hard work/so you can share some of the history of the con with all of the members on pirate. you rock!!!!. and a huge thanks to all of the people who volunteered to help out this year on all of our trails in the u.s.a.-thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#19 · (Edited)
I think I know which one you mean. I am working on more of the "Dave" Pics right now. I'll put up some more book stuff before nights end.

In the mean time. I had to put this pic up. For some reason it grabbed my attention. Great shot!!!

#34 ·
Memorial Day 1977

This is pretty cool. One of Dave's albums contains a complete trip from Wentworth to Tahoe during the Memorial day weekend of 1977.

Jimmy Carter was president and such hits playing on the radio as, "Don't leave me this way" Thelma Houston, "You and me" Alice cooper, and the everlasting sounds of Abba abound the billboard charts:)
"Rocky" was the hot movie along with it's famous soundtrack.

Anyway the pictures are wonderful to look at and get an idea of how the trail has changed and in many ways not changed over the past thirty two years.

Link to gallery; Memorial Day 1977
http://gallery.me.com/greentwins1#100323

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.