Pirate 4x4 banner

Pics of the Paving

28K views 215 replies 65 participants last post by  UGET IT 
#1 ·
Lots of talk about the recent paving of the con. Lets see some pics:flipoff2:

#3 ·
I heard about it, and thought it couldn't be that bad, but wow......Pretty soon i'll be able to take my wife's subaru thru the con. :laughing:

I thought the idea was to keep the number of people down on the trail, not increase the amount of people that can make it in. :confused:

#127 ·
Wow, looks like you could drive a snow cat thru there....Looks like someone got what he wanted, way to go... A little self serving don't ya think?

#5 ·
At the start of the trail there are hundreds of buckets filled with small rocks. You can see all over the trail where it is being paved and there are markers for where more paving is going to be done.

There is no more gate keeper, a stock jeep can walk the trail with no problems. It's no longer the trail it once was. The ranger told me the box is next.

#7 ·
We filled the buckets for Jeepers Jamboree /Marlin Crawler Run to help put a base down at Walker Hill and Winter Camp for a corduroy. As you can see we filled more than were used.

I'm more curious about the Ranger - what did he or she look like and did they say when "the box" was next?

#9 ·
It was 2 weeks ago and there were 4 rangers and 2 sheriffs. I couldn't tell you his name. I had just run the box and he said "Soon you it will be blown up". He was pretty cool about it. Not like he wanted it to happen, but more like run it again it soon won't be the same.

He was a white guy. Thats all I remember.

#15 ·
Big Boulders in LS = epoxy and winter = cold cracked = smaller boulders

Just my guess if they dont blast them into gravel first:(

#18 ·
I was up on the con last weekend and I must say that it wasnt bad at all. The only "Filling" I saw was for water run off.

The beginning of Gatekeeper was a little flat but after that it was still bumpy and had boulders in the middle. I noticed that right after Ellis that a Boulder was gone and some have been moved off to the side. I would assume because all the DOT workers need easy access when hauling rock in.

IMHO its not bad. It is needed. And for those making assumptions that have not seen it, take a drive up Ice House and get to Soup bowl.

#22 ·
I've been up there every year for the last 10yrs and the last trip (2 weeks ago) was very disappointing. The trail is being paved and no it's not needed. If your rig is not able to run the trail than you need to find another trail to run.

Just like the Hammers. I love going up after KOH all the stacking is gone and the trails are in their best shape. But you have people complain because they are not able to run the trails without stacking.

#20 · (Edited)
i don't understand how they think they are going to save it by making it more accessible to the general public. this is ridiculous! now the people who help clean up and keep it open, are going to get blamed for the idiots that go trash the place because they can get there and don't care.:mad3:

#23 ·
i don't understand how they think they are going to save it by making it more accessible to the general public.
It has nothing to do with access and everything to do with mitigating erosion and eliminating the silt from the watershed. From what I've seen, the DOT crews are working on areas where there is standing water on the trail or where water crosses the trail. It's stagering how many places water crosses the trail and how much work is being done.

#21 ·
I took my dad on the trail for the very first time at the marlin roundup a few weeks ago. it was extremely disappointing to see how much it had changed in a matter of a few months. its almost starting to seem like the trail is on its way to being lost cause at this point.

#24 ·
oh yea, i forgot to mention, i had a group of friends that was up there mid augest. they ran into some rangers at the box and got to talking. not sure if its happened yet or not, but whoever the group is thats incharge of all this is supposed to be boring holes in the boulders at the box so that over time with rain/freeze/snow, the boulders start breaking up.:shaking:

#26 ·
add epoxy to those holes and you have what is called cold cracking....

#34 · (Edited)
just out of curiosity, could you get in trouble for moving rocks and boulders back out onto the trail in areas where they use to be after they pave it? it would be on top of the pavment, so the water shed would not be affected. not saying i'm going to, just asking if its an option or probability.

#35 · (Edited)
Glo, that is exactly their plan, let enough uninformed users in to get the place trashed and then they will have the ammo and data to close it. The silt caused from their work is gonna = what 3 or 4 yeras of typical use would create. That paving of the old gate keeper section is beyond maintenance or silt control. That is plainly retarded and only derived from the need to make the area more accessible to lesser vehicles. I agree that section was getting tough again but now it is ridiculous and in fact looks as though it may actually hold water more so than in it's previous state.

Heck, I wish some of the county roads to residences down here were that flat. If the road to Pilsbury was that nice we could cut 1/2 hour off the travel time.

I used to feel like the guys with huge tires on the many horse power buggies were tearin the trail up but now it looks like we may need their services.

#38 ·
Simple Question

A simple answer, please. :)

The locations shown in the pics herein, are they on the CDMG map, the trail survey done by the State Department of Mines and Geology, are they shown to be in need of armoring to prevent runoff or remediation to meet the CAO ??

Other than covering up some dust, dust that was measured by the water board to SHUT DOWN the trail, what is the BFD ?

#43 ·
?

They are on the CGS maps as proposed treatments.
If this is so, and I have no reason to believe otherwise, why all the uproar here ?

When I dropped my axe and went hunting elsewhere about June 2009, this is exactly what was proposed and exactly what we all hailed as a reasoned remediation for the trail. Is it lack of communication or lack of reason that prompts this thread ??

Maybe that is an ugly question, but I'lll throw it out here regardless. It needs answering. I deleted a whole bunch more. :mad3: Shutting down now to cool off. :flipoff2:

Not directed at you Bebe, or ? anyone else, just Keystone Light and Jack Daniels.

#45 ·
If this is so, and I have no reason to believe otherwise, why all the uproar here ?

When I dropped my axe and went hunting elsewhere about June 2009, this is exactly what was proposed and exactly what we all hailed as a reasoned remediation for the trail. Is it lack of communication or lack of reason that prompts this thread ??

Maybe that is an ugly question, but I'lll throw it out here regardless. It needs answering. I deleted a whole bunch more. :mad3: Shutting down now to cool off. :flipoff2:

Not directed at you Bebe, or ? anyone else, just Keystone Light and Jack Daniels.
The work on the ground is far more aggressive than need be, trust me on this. CGS was just a guideline. If you have not seen the 'rock checks', or the 8 foot diameter by 3 ft deep sediment basins (now called energy dissipators) and 2 feet deep rip rap (which they consider tread hardening), then please hang with your adult beverage and let us girls handle it K?:laughing:

Gimme a call - I have to tell you a secret :p

#49 ·
to me it looks like it does in those really old pictures of the rubicon, especially the old pic of the Studebaker going through "the box" when its all flat.

im not sure what to think, on one hand they are restoring the trail to what it used to be(60 years ago or so), on the other they are making it less fun with todays vehicle technology and took away the ability to drive where ever in the forrest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.