Pirate 4x4 banner

Driveline rotational torque

761 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  BlueAngel 
#1 ·
How important is it to control the driveline rotational torque on a buggy: big block, auto, use to have the 203-205, now mounting an atlas. There's poly mounts on the motor (2), trans back (2), and planning on putting an atlas support ring on the back. I liked how the 205 could be mounted on the side too, is this something that I need to look at for the atlas too? Perhaps making an extra side mount by using the bolts off of the front output, any ideas or help on this topic?

Thanks.

#4 · (Edited)
I dont think the support ring clamping to the tail housing is designed to help with rotational forces. Its purpose is to support the weight of the case, but Im sure you know that. I had one on my 4 speed atlas, cause it was so long, I was concerned about all of that weight being supported by the adapter. The drawback to the ASR is that if you belly out and bend either of your cross members supporting the front or back of the atlas, something will have to give. Either the adapter or tranny case. My opinion is they arent needed on the 2 speed atlas. But if you do use it, overbuild your cross members and mounts. One option would be mounting them from above if there is room. Depending on what transmission you are running, you may be able to flip the adapter over.

As far as aditional torque control, I have seen some nice mounts on here that have been built off of the front output housing, or the pan bolts on the bottom.

#5 ·
Unless you're doing some kinda midplate or head mount...two good motor mounts and a good trans mount in the middle will be fine; use the atlas support to save the trans tailhousing, not to help with torque.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.