Pirate 4x4 banner

Water pump gaskets

5K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  4x4prepper 
#1 ·
What do you use? If it comes with a paper gasket do you use it? Do you add RTV to it? Do you just use RTV all together?

Did a timing belt/water pump on my parents e30 and the damn thing is leaking. Surface was 100% clean and I scrubbed it with some wheel wool. I'm kicking myself for not adding some RTV to the flimsy, thin paper gasket :mad3:

#5 ·
Update: I was told the best shit to use for thin flimsy gaskets is the brush on aviation shit.

Car leaks 2 weeks later.

Wtf, the water pump has gotta be fucked up. I triple checked everything before assembling

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

#9 · (Edited)
A good question.

If the parts are new, clean and no pitting just a little blue Hylomar. Another replacement is 3-Bond. Sometimes called "Yamabond"
Its used when the surfaces are precision machined and you don't use a gasket. I would have used it in the application you described, and it would not leak)

If the surface is pitted, sees high temps or pressures I "upgrade" to High Temperature Anaerobic Flange Sealant. (Permatex)

Why not to use silicone?
1. It actually does not stick as well as you think it does.
2. Once cured, its "done". Any movement will cause it to "fail"
3. It can "Spit" the gasket under clamping force. (Its "Slippery, and can shear off the sealing surfaces)
4. You don't see silicone used to seal gasket surfaces on aircraft on in anything that "counts"

Do I have a tube of silicone in my trail box? Hell yes.. works great on sidewalls.. :flipoff2:

#10 ·
I do both sides of pretty much any gasket with Permatex non-hardening gasket sealant. I hate leaks & rarely get any gasket surfaces leaking if I do it this way. It is a royal pain to clean up though when you pull things apart....and its pretty much permanently on anything it gets smeared on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.