Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum - View Single Post - Big Willy '48 CJ-2a
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 03:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
middayskulker

Member # 120092
Cool Big Willy '48 CJ-2a

I've been wanting to share my build on here for a while now but never felt the time was right.

Ok, so a few years back I bought this jeep off of my brother, who got it out of a treeline from his friend, he was going to build it but found an already built up CJ-5 that needed some love. I thought hey this jeep stuff seems pretty cool maybe I should get into it too.

When i got it it had all stock running gear minus a motor, it had had some sort of ford motor put in at some point. Had a crazy galvanized steel firewall and bald tires.

I decided that stock stuff was no good once I found this site. I chanced upon a '79 Jeep Comanche that was looking for a new home. AMC 360, T18, D20, D44 F/R perfect for my need.

We separated the Comanche body from its frame in the most humane way possible of course.

Then took the rolling chassis and the jeep tub back to my brothers garage. At this point things started to get a little out of hand.

I'm kinda tall so the stock seating area would not do. Plus the floors were rotten anyway. Cut out the floor and firewall and did a 14" stretch at the door.

We also noticed that the Comanche frame was close to matching the Willys tub... or close enough anyway. Cut 30ish inches from the middle and around 40 inches off the ass. Fish plated and boxed the back half of the frame for strength.

Went spring over with YJ leafs on new hangers.

And then eventually it looked like a Jeep again.

Finished the wiring, breaks, found some shocks, drive shafts, and a roll bar and took it for a test drive on the dunes.

Wheeled it a few times had some fun... Then overheated the motor after a weekend of problems with it. One last shot of it in all its glory.

Last edited by middayskulker; 09-30-2012 at 06:51 AM.
middayskulker is offline   Reply With Quote