Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum - View Single Post - Worried About the Rubicon Trail?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 11:11 PM   #112 (permalink)
resqme
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Quote:
Originally Posted by dane View Post
The economics of the trail brings up a few questions that I have. If you have the answer that is great, if you do not, I completely understand.

First, green sticker (ohv) funds that are given to the county; are these funds based on the amount of trails in the county and money given per trail. What I mean is that because the Rubicon allows green stickers does the county get more money from the OHV fund as a lump sum and can they use the money for any OHV area in the county or is it specifically earmarked per trail/OHV area.
Funds used on Rubicon are from an OHMVR grant. There is an elaborate points system that "decides" which grants have enough merit to be awarded and which do not. If the Rubicon did not allow green stickered vehicles, the County wouldn't be eleigible for the grant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane View Post
Secondly, the economic impact on the local businesses. Fresh Pond, CBMR, and Uncle Toms Cabin are the most related businesses that I can come up with. Are they aware of the incredible loss that they will take if the trail is closed, even seasonally? Im sure that the county has taken this into account, but they may not even be aware of the money that the users of the trail spend every year in local communities.

Dane
If you're referring to the El Dorado County Board of Supervisors, believe me, they're aware. If they weren't a few years ago, they are now, every one of them. It's hard to put a finger on how much the Rubicon affects the local economy, but we believbe it's in the neighborhood of 7-10 million annually, and we've pointed that out pretty regularly. Forest recreation is the third largest driver of the economy in this County, behind skiing and tourist agriculture (wineries and Apple Hill stuff). They take it very seriously

N6YBH
-

Thanks to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for sponsoring the 2017 Cantina For The Con!

"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote