Pirate 4x4 banner

Does anyone use the 5.2 fuel injected motors for swaps?

819 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Wicked YJ 
#1 ·
Well, I pulled the trigger on a 1996, 5.2 out of a Grand Cherokee with 90,000 miles and in perfect shape with computer and all brackets and accessories for 100 bucks. Is this a boat anchor??? The reason I ask is because I don't seem to see any swaps on the forum? Is there something I don't know about? I would like to use it in my Jeepster build. Nothing too crazy, just tons and want a good hunting rig. I bought it because it was cheap. Figured I could throw a 4 speed auto and be up and running. Is there wiring gremlins? Any links or suggestions or opinions will be much appreciated. If its junk then I can at least get my money back. Would like pros and cons. I hope I'm not too dumb and just not looking in the right areas. I googled and searched but nothing.

Thanks!

John

#3 ·
Ok, im not finding any info on anyone who may have done the 5.2 swap in a Jeepster. Has anyone done it? I see it's been done quite a few times in TJ's. Is there any pros or cons to this swap? Anything I should look out for? I just don't want to make a bad decision right out of the gate. Thanks

#4 ·
Not a boat anchor. Made decent power and economy. Fairly reliable. Had 155k on my dodge when I sold it. Water pump was the only "major" part replaced.
What is your plan for a transmission? Most 318s had autos. Domestic autos in the 90s weren't known for reliability, and Chrysler was no exception. A NV4500, would be ideal behind that 318.
Sounds like you got a screamin deal on it. Stay up on the oil changes, ect. Should be an awesome rig.

#5 ·
Ya I couldn't beat the price. Lol well I like the idea of using a NV4500. I've been researching a lot since I bought it and the autos seem like junk. I'm not going to get all nasty in the rocks with it. Just want a good reliable hunting rig that I can take on a 4 to 5 hr drive to get to the good hunt ing areas. I do have a Dana 60 front and shaved 14 bolt. All will ride on leaf springs since I can't afford to link her yet. Any other options in tranny's that will bolt right up to the 5.2? Just looking at all my options. Thanks

#6 ·
I put an AX-15 out of a 4.0 wrangler behind my 5.2, used a dakota V-6 bellhousing and ram 1500 clutch to tie them together. I suppose finding a 5 speed V-6 dakota and getting bellhousing and tranny would work too, I just happened to find a jeep tranny and transfercase together for mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.