Pirate 4x4 banner

Best Brakes for Kingpin D60 Front Axle?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  JESSE_at_TLT 
#1 · (Edited)
We're collecting parts to build a HP D60 that is going under the front end of an HD2500 project. The truck is being built by Baker Motorsports in the style of a straight-axle desert racer from the 80's. Parallel 3-link w/panhard bar, coi-overs & bypass shocks, full Chrom-Moly rollcage, etc.

We would like to adapt some larger aftermarket rotors (13-14") and calipers to the Chevy (Dedenbear) knuckles. Any helpful input is appreciated. As a second-choice, I would consider just adapting the brakes from the IFS setup. Anyone?

#6 ·
Take a look at the new (2005) F350 and F450 brakes and rotors. The F350s are BIG and the F450 are BIGGER. You will probbaly need bigger than 17s for the F450 parts. Or you can always adapt a Wilwood caliper. They have some big calipers, such as the Grand National line. Then you can get a large rotor from them or for better selection (or reasonably priced custom rotors and hats) you can get it from www.colemanracing.com

#11 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I've been talking to Trevor at WFO Concepts about their steering arms. He told me that they were compaitble with Hummer wheels on Kingpin 60's, but it's good to hear a few people confirm that. I started another thread about the Steering Geometry and wheelbackspacing, because I wanted to focus this thread on braking performance.

#12 ·
Ford used 13 inch rotors on 60's and dana 50 IFS. The giant ford caliper that went with them is good too. You could just swap to ford Knuckles and all that , or you could use the ford brake rotors and mount up an aftermarket caliper for more bling, and to let you still use the dedenbear knuckles.

#13 ·
I want to stay away from the BJ knuckles, but I do have an extra pair of those new 13" Ford rotors that we could use and I would rather use rotors that slip over the hub/studs. The stock kingpin Chevy rotors were all mounted to the backside of the hub/studs, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.