Pirate 4x4 banner

Paint that doesnt suck

4K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  jemarshall 
#1 ·
What have you guys used for frame paint and the like? I've had no luck with rattle can stuff, comes off when oil, brake fluid or anything gets on it. I want a finish like oem that can take a bit of abuse.

I've heard mixed reviews about POR 15 and think maybe there is a two part paint that may be better?

#2 ·
Go to a Great Dane trailer dealer and pick up a can of their spray paint. Think I paid 9 bucks for a can of it and it has more than your average spray can and goes on THICK and smooth. We used to paint our dump truck wheels with it and it would last a couple years of hauling dirt and rock.

#6 ·
doing maintenance and modifications, things happen and repainting the frame shouldnt be a routine part of that maintenance. I had brake cleaner take off well cured hi quality caliper paint off some calipers, you'd think brake part paint would resist brake cleaner...

#10 ·
I've very good results with Seymour MRO rattle cans if that helps. I know you said you didn't want a rattle can, but I sprayed my s10 years ago and not only did it go on fairly thick, it dried nice and was quite durable getting beat up on the trails. easy to touch up as well.

#12 ·
Another vote on POR-15

I have it on my daily driver '97 Ram 2500. I used it on my D60 ball joint-out parts (knuckle, spindle, hub) when I did the ford knuckle swap (2 winters on them) and on my D80 rear to replace my dying D70 (1 winter so far). They both still looks great. Zero rust, bubbling, or chipping after salty winters and thousands of miles. A quick rub down with shop towel will bring the gloss back. Brake fluid don't bother it at all. It's not that easy to wire wheel off. It killed my wire wheel quickly.

IMHO POR-15 is perfect for undercarriage because of the harsh condition they see and tough to road debris like gravel roads and no sunlight go under there. A quart of it is expensive but it'll coat at least 2 axles easily. I did maybe 3-4 coats on the said parts.

Otherwise, quality paint will only work as good as it get with good prep work.

#13 ·
I don't know what color / quality you are going for but I just went to my local auto paint supply store and asked for their toughest house brand with pre-mixed clear coat. It was very affordable and I was very happy with the results. No chemical phases it and you really have to work to get it off for repairs. My color was Cobalt Blue Metallic and I had a guy that I knew did quality work paint it for me. (I hate painting!) He was pretty meticulous in prep and it turned out nearly show quality. I had the color matched to Rustoleum Cobalt Blue Metallic and you can't even tell where touch ups are other than that the Rustoleum is not even 1/4 as durable.

#14 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.