Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum - View Single Post - 2 stroke Detroit diesels
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #67 (permalink)
Dr.Danger
Safety third!

Member # 168243
Quote:
Originally Posted by isbj60 View Post
She's gone from blow to suck!

My favorite way to describe the cycles of a 4 cycle engine isn't intake-compression-power-exhaust; it's suck-squeeze-bang-blow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thordehr View Post
I've always wondered bout shutoff plates, butterflies failing or sucking air through broken gaskets and being unable to shutoff a runaway...

Would this be a good solution...

Plumb a fire suppression system, maybe even a handheld halon(or CO2) extinguisher with a hose extension to intake tract (like you would a before throttle blade intake nitrous nozzle). Have a runaway, trigger the extinguisher, it kills the combustion event, you don't risk sucking anything into the intake, you don't have the situation where you activate the plate or valve and it doesn't quite cut off enough air. Plus you're not sucking all the intake seals to death.

Whaddayathink?
Interesting idea. I'd think CO2 might work as long as the temp of the gas going in isn't cold enough to flat out crack or shatter things. I'd be interested to run some tests. Any other gas that can deploy from a compressed state quickly enough without drastically lowering the temp of the engine could work I would think, but the only gas I know of that doesn't drop in temp, is acetylene. That one likes to increase in temperature and probably wouldn't help much in a runaway, depending on your definition of "help".

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote