Pirate 4x4 banner

Giant homebuilt R/C Buggy

15K views 55 replies 18 participants last post by  vanr 
#1 ·
I have been working on a stupid-scale R/C dune buggy.
-70cc, 3 speed auto, Honda clone
-3/4 ERW frame.

Here is a little slideshow of the project in progress.

I can't post links, but this should paste into your browser;

Cheers!

youtu.be/MiKhhqmCz0s

#2 ·

that's pretty impressive.
what CV joints are those, baja parts?

What size is your steering servo? I know that the scale is going to make most things look small and I see that you're running it off 12v, but it's gonna take massive torque to run your linkage as is.

#3 ·
Thanks.

The CV's are 1/2" drive impact universal joints.

The 12V battery only supplies power to the servo's which are window motors. If they are not enough I'll use wiper motors. I'll also be using a motorcycle battery.

The engine is a 90cc, 3 speed auto, Honda clone.

I'm sure there will be issues along the way but that's half the fun.

Cheers,

KB

#5 · (Edited)
The component with the wires coming out of it is an H-Bridge. It converts the low voltage servo signal into 12v for DC motor. The servo attached by the linkage has been gutted and is only used for its potentiometer to provide position feed back.

I have no electronic skills which I was so happy to find this plug and play product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6yNfTb9LEo

#15 ·
Really Nice work!

Do you think the steering servo setup will be fast enough? I know my old 1/8th scale gas buggy suffered from that and it made it hard to drive.

Now scale it up for one your kids can drive!

#22 ·
Thanks 87.

It is a piece of "Tyvar" highly wear resistant. I machined it with a bit of an arch. You can see where it machined nicely but where I hit it with the disc sander, it just made a mess.

Cheers 3n. Sometimes someone will look at something I have made and say;

"You have too much time on your hands."

"No, I just don't watch TV."

"Oh."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.