Pirate 4x4 banner

Transmission temps

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  [486] 
#1 ·
What’s the average trans temp while towing in town.
I’ve got a 2005 2500 Dodge with the 4 speed. Towing 6000 pounds or so I’ve seen temps up to 225.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
My rule of thumb is ambient outside temp. +100 degrees more than max temp of transmission. I was taught that if your cooler can’t keep up with that formula you need more cooling capacity.

All that said it really depends on the fluid your running. I run Amsoil’s version of TES-295 in my Allisons and it has a pretty high max temp before it starts to break down. Seeing 225* on occasion wouldn’t concern me if I’m pulling hills and then it comes back down, but I wouldn’t want that to be my running temp in stop and go traffic.

Just my opinion here, I’m sure others will chime in.

#3 ·
225 in town with the converter unlocked is about right. I would not be concerned. If you start creeping on 240 I would be worried. I like to run hytran on stuff with loose converters. Keeps temps down and lowers the stall a couple hundred rpms.

#9 · (Edited)
I’m getting the temp from a Edge Tuner and monitor. So I’m not really sure where it’s getting the temp from. I’ll have to look. The thing has a torque convertor cooler that’s liquid cooled. So if I’m right it should be at least the temp of the oil. I never seen either one below 180, during the cold months I let it warm up to 180 before we go anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
is the fluid brown and burnt smelling?
Yes? change it
No? it's fine

If you're changing it more than every 20k miles, you might want a better cooler.

deep pan doesn't really gain you anything, the thermal mass of a gallon of extra fluid is nothing compared to the mass of the trans case and everything

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.