Pirate 4x4 banner

78-79 Dana 60 or Super Duty Dana 60

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  rockyota83 
#1 · (Edited)
Which would you prefer and why?

I have a 79 sitting at the house. I've had it for awhile. Buddy has a super 60 from a 05 and wants to trade plus cash on his end because my 79 Dana 60 will be easier to run his leaf springs on.

I have an LJ I'll be putting a 60 under either on coils or coilovers. So I could do either using an artec kit for the super 60 to mount coils if I went that way.

I'm open to reasons on both

#2 ·
the 79 is light, has more clear axle tube to work with, and the kp outers are bolt on steering upgrades.

Down side is ford kp knuckles suck.

.the super60 is way bigger, stupid bolt pattern, steering changes are expensive.

But youre getting a very strong axle and $$$

#3 · (Edited)
What rear axle are you running? 05+ SD60 forces you to run 8x170. Yes you can redrill to 8x6.5, but its a moot point in the long run.

Tire size, driving style, etc also come into play. If youre going to run 37s. Id pimp out and drop coin on the 79 KP60. If you're going for brute size and 39s+, the SD60 would be hard to overlook.

My opinion is biased, i have two KP60s rat holed. I can buy an 05+ 60 any day for $500. Personally, a trade isnt worth it because the availability of SD60s will only increase.

#4 ·
The rear axle doesn't matter. I have a Dana 70 rear to use with the 79. But it's not hard to pick up a 10.5 for pennies on the dollar at the local yard.

The lug pattern doesn't bother me. Cutting casting off to get more tube doesn't bother me. My TJ I am building has a 95 Balljoint 60 in it, I had to cut casting off to show more tube for link brackets.

I understand the strength differences and the KP needing stronger knuckles.

Which one packages better under a TJ with physical steering attached? (My TJ I'm running full hydro, but on the LJ build later on would like to keep it more street legal)

How is the caster on the Super 60? I know on the 79, the pinion has to point lower to get decent caster.

I know the super 60 is 2inches wider at 71wms. Any ill effects on that?

I'm ok with needing to upgrade parts if needed. I know the SD comes factory with 35spline. My goal is to run a 40in tire on an LJ as a weekend toy.

Trying to figure out if trading a 79 dana 60 and dana 70 for a SD 60 and cash is worth it or not. 79's are hard to come by but I've read the diff being 3inches more center makes for issues in packaging. I could slide the 79 under a Jeep at the house to figure this all out.

#6 ·
I’d rat hole the 79 axle and buy a superduty axle. I agree with newbs post above.

I called a local wrecker and a superduty front was $540 it the door. I think most guys are on to these axles. I saw a 79 Dana 60 not sell at a swap meet for $800. Not a crazy good deal but cheap enough it should ha e sold. Most guys are doing super duty stuff now king pin shit will have to come down in price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.