Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum - View Single Post - Some kind of wannabe sxs build (side by sidekick?)
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 09:10 AM   #83 (permalink)
jr4x

Member # 94747
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
I don't want to be popping the Honda civic cv shafts every time out.

With the 32's I guess you might have a legitimate concern. I haven't lost one yet knock on wood.

Quick back story. In 2014 when I built the green 2wd one, I had the front end from a rolled 95 4 door which are 22 spline in the diff. So I bought my TT locker for that. My CV boots were torn and joints sloppy so I bought two new shafts from rock auto and sent the others back as cores. I put drive flanges like off your vitara on it and beat the piss out of it till I gave up on the 8V engine.

Then in 2016 when I built the 4 door to replace it, I swapped those same shafts and locked front diff into it. I'm really hard on this thing and the entire time I've been bashing on it I've worried about 3 things. The aluminum diff breaking, CV shafts breaking, or both. I've crawled it in rocks and had it on the rev limiter in sand and mud with those aggressive tires. I do have to keep a constant eye on the bolts that hold the front diff to the drop brackets. But it's still the 22 spline stuff from the older car. They might do better than you think.

Lastly, isn't the gen 1 diff narrower than the gen 2?
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote