Pirate 4x4 banner

Some kind of wannabe sxs build (side by sidekick?)

39K views 321 replies 21 participants last post by  YotaAtieToo 
#1 ·
A while back I picked up an 8v/3spd auto/4x4/2 door sidekick. It was rough, but a buddy wanted some of the parts and I wanted the 3spd auto for a kid buggy. Got it kinda running and then lost interest.

Fast forward a few years and pretty much everything myself and my buddy owned were lost in the camp fire. Except this stupid pos sidekick :rolleyes: I ended up renting a place on 3 wooded acres that backs up to logging land, so I was figuring I may as well bring it up to beat around here.

While trying to get it running right, I had swapped ecu's to see if it would help. Well I guess I forgot to put 1 of them back in, because they all burned. So I hit up a few people I know with zuk stuff and ended up with a good ecu and an entire 4 door 99 with a 2.0 and blown 5 spd :laughing:

Thank a lot 2big bronco :flipoff2:

I also noticed this on the 2 door when I loaded it up to bring it here

So now I have a 2 door with a motor that runs like shit and a broken frame, and a 4 door with a blown clutch and reverse gear.

Fix the frame and drop the 2.0 into the 2 door, swap the auto into the 4 door or drop the 2 door body and trans on a shortened 4 door frame?

See less See more
#318 ·
I've never been to Fordyce so can't compare war stories. But I take mine to Moab all the time and bind the shit out of it. You've gotta have a geometry clash up front to break CV's at will like that. I've got 4.24:1 gears in the t-case and am still running the Autozone reman shafts I put in it in 2014. I've had the diff come loose before but now that I watch it close it stays put.

I think it looks better on the 28's.

#319 ·
So zuk parts had a pair of bushings made for the 2nd gen spindles. Just checked tracking and they're in LA.

Plan is to cut the front a arm mounts and move them in. Will need to address steering also. Ideally, I'd like to to go to 3/4 hiems and put them on top of the knuckle. Not sure if I'll do that at the same time or not.

Another question, what's better, old factory CV's with torn boots or brand new Chineseium parts store CV's?

#320 ·
Another question, what's better, old factory CV's with torn boots or brand new Chineseium parts store CV's?
When I built my first one I was converting 2wd into a 4wd. I didn't have shafts so I just bought the cheap chinesium ones. I've had to replace boots because I had them maxed out with drive flanges up front. But they've been fine so far. I'd think toyota size chinesium shafts should be plenty sufficient.

#321 ·
What exactly do you mean by move them in? As in narrow the track width? Is there not some random tacoma/4runner/whatever shaft that's a smidgen longer? What about t100 and bump them out?

Also what will that do to your camber?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.