Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum - View Single Post - 1978 CJ5 stretch to CJ6 build
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2019, 04:51 PM   #128 (permalink)
Tipped
Wheeler

Member # 304297
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneyj View Post
Looks good.

What prep did you use before the Rust Bullet?
Just 150 grit sandpaper and acetone wipe down. Has been working for me. No special prep for rust bullet, but I get bad solvent pop if don’t wait plenty long enough between coats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Fab. View Post
Have you thought about using chain for your steps instead of tube? On my jeep buggy I had to install a step on the pass side so my wife could get in easier. I just bolted a length of chain in. It hangs down like a step all the time, but will deflect out of the way when hitting an obstacle. Cheap to replace too if it ever gets worn out or breaks. I think the only real downside is the fact that it swings when you put your weight on it, but your tube steps seem like they would swing also.

Just a thought.

At some point I'd really like to build a CJ6 or stretched 5.

Kevin
Chain would work fine in most situations. The steps have mechanical stops welded in place to ensure they don’t swing to far underneath. When I have doors on I just leave the steps down and drive around. It’s only a problem when I’m off-roading and want doors on and steps up. I’m gonna bend up a grabber tool I can reach out the window and pull the steps up and flip them down. Simple and effective.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tipped is offline   Reply With Quote