Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum - View Single Post - 2001 Silverado Solid Axle Swap 14FF/D60
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 07:58 AM   #1288 (permalink)
DMANbluesfreak
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
The cage is now COMPLETE!

Cage is now fully welded, painted, and all frame supports are installed. Below are some pics of the various frame supports. The really crazy looking ones are for the rear most mounts since they have to span the gap below the sheet metal "channel" where the rear body mounts are.

I designed the bushing mounts to be centered on the frame to minimize cage movement when the rock sliders flex the frame (by rotating it), which will postpone the pinch plates tearing through the floor from repeated stress. The rear most ones (crazy looking ones) only mount on top of the frame but there are two cross members on either side of the body mount, so I hope this area rotates the least.

I also had to offset the b-pillar mounts due to the rock slider supports being in the way. I used 1-3/4"x.250" wall tubing for all the mounts so I'm not too terribly worried that they're at a 30 angle. Probably overkill, but whatever - the additional ~10lbs is down low.

Here's what the bushing supports look like. Frame plate behind the tabs should spread the load out and eliminate the vertical frame welds that many people dislike - again maybe was overkill.

Terrible picture of the B-pillar support installed. The jizz-looking stuff is white lithium. Or maybe I got excited - who knows

And finally, the A-pillar support. Much simpler, straighter, stronger. This was the last tube that needed to be notched and welded, so I commemorated it with a picture

My short list of things left to do before departing for Moab is:
  • Fix parking brake cable routing (new brackets)
  • Run amp + inverter power cable through firewall before carpet goes back in
  • Install rear wall carpet + cab vent covers (for sound)
  • Trim and install floor carpet
  • Routine maintenance (Oil change, new fuel filter, t-case fluid change, trans fluid check, check brakes)
  • Make in-cab MTB mount (probably jerry rigged for now) so I can mountain bike in Moab

I also was staring at the rock slider mounts and while they've held up to tons of punishment for 8 or 9 years... I do want to redo them. They were my very first fabrication project though, so they could certainly have been worse . I plan on trimming the rockers up and plating them, then redoing the rock sliders with some shallow boatsides to continue the flat underbelly skids outward more. This will be a project for later this year and probably bleed into next year.

Shortened 17" w/Bed, AAM 14B FF / Grizzly, Dana 60 HP / Chromos, Anti-Wrap Bar
4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 04-11-2019 at 08:00 AM.
DMANbluesfreak is offline   Reply With Quote