Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum - View Single Post - Fresh start: what engine for swap in tow centric build?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2019, 10:16 AM   #28 (permalink)
Lil'John
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
I'm not a chevy guy but the 8.1 seems like the motor for this project. You can buy them turn key with the harness and all fairly cheap with a warranty.

If it was me and I like complicating things.... towing a max of 7,000 I'd look at the 2.7 ecoboost just because it would be so much fun to rip around in. The 2.7 is considerably faster then the 3.5
I like complicated crap too. I'm hoping to go a little simpler on this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
I would agree if his load was bigger. Don't you think an 8.1 is a bit overkill with a 7k lb load? The lack of RPM, the weight, the oil consumption issues and fuel consumption seem to make it a bit of a compromise when you think about how much OP really needs that low end grunt. I bet the Hemi feels quicker and town just as well given his intended load.

I really like the ford V10, but I think the Wookie is overkill.
A 4.3L vortec was sufficient to pull this load too. So was a newer 5.3L.

I 100% agree though that a big block or even a 'real' diesel is overkill for my considered ~7k lb load. I want to go with a big block or 'real' diesel just to be different.

The MPG isn't something I really care too much about. I doubt this rig will see more than 3k a year.

The weight of an 8.1 is roughly the same as the stock Toyota 2F engine.

Talk to me about the Ford v10 and what might make it better than an 8.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseAutoElectric View Post
Personally I like the LBZ 6.6L Duramax engine for any towing application bit if you are set on a 454 (496) or 8.1 I would take into consideration the EMP proof aspect that the earlier mark 4 454 aka 496 can have.
<snip>
A T400 is a really good transmission unless you want a NV4500 or the std SM465.
I'm not 100% set against a Duramax. It is the mystery weight that concerns me. Too close to 1k lbs and it is a no-go.

The transmission also isn't set. My previous experience says keep the transmission that came from behind the engine for less problems. But I really hate autos

-1972 FJ55(aka Trail50): Turbo 5.3L-4L80-Blackbox-split case, D60s, ARB'd *stalled*
-1968 Mustang Fastback: not a restore but a refresh
Lil'John is offline   Reply With Quote