Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum - View Single Post - Fresh start: what engine for swap in tow centric build?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2019, 12:06 PM   #32 (permalink)
Bo185
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 48545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
I would agree if his load was bigger. Don't you think an 8.1 is a bit overkill with a 7k lb load?
Yes its overkill. But doesn't want LS and 8.1L will be different and give him what he wants. The 8.1L gives him easy of swap as he has LS in his rigs so same "family" gm. And has spares of certain things.

Quote:
The lack of RPM, the weight,
Diesel's lack RPM yet they work fine, as its about torque down low towing. You don't need to spin a motor to the moon to get power for a tow rig.

Quote:
the oil consumption issues and fuel consumption seem to make it a bit of a compromise when you think about how much OP really needs that low end grunt.
MPG will be same as his 4.3L now maybe even more 10-12 should be easy. Oil consumption can be taken care of pretty easily. As far as weight its not really that much heavier than a iron block 6.0L. Dressed is around 600lbs little less. Couple hundred more, 800ish dressed for the 8.1L so not mind boggling more.

Quote:
I bet the Hemi feels quicker and town just as well given his intended load.

I really like the ford V10, but I think the Wookie is overkill.
Power is power more RPM doesn't mean quicker its just spinning faster. But off the line 8.1L would shine, then say a LS or 6.4L would catch up stock for stock. But tuned and cam'ed the 8.1L are pretty nasty on par with early D-max's.

From his post I he is wanting something other than an LS and to me a hemi is same as an LS swap wise uncommon but still a small block. Guess it depends on what he wants LS, 8.1L, hemi all will work fine and all have plus and minus. The 8.1L would be the easier more affordable swap over any mentioned. Initial cost should be cheaper than a 6.4L. Plus transmission options would be cheaper I assume if going auto.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bo185 is offline   Reply With Quote