Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum - View Single Post - Fresh start: what engine for swap in tow centric build?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2019, 01:59 PM   #35 (permalink)
Lil'John
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo185 View Post
From his post I he is wanting something other than an LS and to me a hemi is same as an LS swap wise uncommon but still a small block. Guess it depends on what he wants LS, 8.1L, hemi all will work fine and all have plus and minus. The 8.1L would be the easier more affordable swap over any mentioned. Initial cost should be cheaper than a 6.4L. Plus transmission options would be cheaper I assume if going auto.
By no LSx swap, I mean literally no interest in small block LSx swap. Small blocks are not high on the list... not saying they are completely off the table but as noted, there is something about a big block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrod-13 View Post
A 400 with a set of aluminum heads would do quite nicely... The weight wouldn't be bad, and its pretty hard to argue with a 4" stroke for pulling. Plus they are a smaller footprint than a big block.

A friend of mine did one for his F-250 years ago, standard cam/intake/headers, factory iron heads, with tim meyer zero deck pistons, it's an AWESOME truck motor, big torque at 1200 rpm for pulling trailers, and will still pull hard to 6k RPM when running heavy sweep on rally stages.

Add in the ability to run cheap ZF 5 speeds behind them, and you have a sweet setup...
Are you talking about a small block chevy 400? Or is there another 400 I'm missing?

-1972 FJ55(aka Trail50): Turbo 5.3L-4L80-Blackbox-split case, D60s, ARB'd *stalled*
-1968 Mustang Fastback: not a restore but a refresh
Lil'John is offline   Reply With Quote