Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum - View Single Post - Fresh start: what engine for swap in tow centric build?
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 07:33 AM   #50 (permalink)
Lil'John
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
You can have all the horsetorques and braking, youre white knuckle factor is still the ~106" wheelbase.
As noted, my current 'tow' rig for the same load is 108" wheelbase. No white knuckle factor except in the rare case I don't get enough tongue weight

The target rig will probably end up gaining an inch or two more wheelbase to 110" (again, my own measurement said 108")

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundhouse View Post
I was gonna suggest a 429 Ford just to be different

There’s also some Isuzu diesels from the landscaping trucks

They are a whole different world from the four cylinder Cummins

Isuzu is quiet and pretty smooth

You got room for a 300 ford straight six ?

And no one has suggested a 351 Ford ?

All or most of the late 90s 15 passenger vans had a roller cam fuel injected 351
I have heard of the Isuzu 4bt... I forget the additional letters afterwards. I'm unsure the level of smoothness.

I think a ford 300 would fit. The stock 2F is a straight six(4.2L)

Wouldn't the 351 Ford be similar to the 400?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post
This is a decent suggestion but once again... why not LS.
No LS because OP has two of same rig with LS engines in it and wants to do something different in third rig. Otherwise, no reason not to go with LS

-1972 FJ55(aka Trail50): Turbo 5.3L-4L80-Blackbox-split case, D60s, ARB'd *stalled*
-1968 Mustang Fastback: not a restore but a refresh
Lil'John is offline   Reply With Quote