Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum - View Single Post - 2001 Silverado Solid Axle Swap 14FF/D60
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2019, 04:48 PM   #1294 (permalink)
DMANbluesfreak
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
So on Sunday I spent the day packing the truck and doing maintenance (oil change, topping off fluids, putting the 40s on), but it was miserable because of the 6" of slushy nasty snow we got. I was soaking wet and freezing all day, had dinner with the fiancee, and took a hot shower before bed.

I left for Denver at around 5am. Mostly, it was an uneventful 1005 mile / 15h trip. When I arrived in Omaha, it had warmed up enough to roll the windows down. As I stopped in town for lunch, bathroom break, and gas, I smelled brakes. I hoped it was the semi next to me, but as I pulled into a parking lot, I could tell it was me. The driver's rear caliper was seized and the brake was just cooking.

I was lucky enough to find a caliper at the first store I called, so I headed there and they let me swap it in the parking lot, Roadkill style. I even bled the damn thing myself, first letting it gravity bleed and then using a long stick to press the pedal while I modulated the bleeder screw. All in all it took about an hour, and while I was annoyed it was seized, I was pretty pleased with myself.

The rest of the trip was uneventful, riddled with fuel stops (11mpg overall, going 80mph). I never get tired of looking at the gas nozzle shoved into the taillight housing.

Driving up into the mountains on I-70 was stunningly beautiful, as usual.

A few hours later, I could see the La Sals in the distance:

Between Denver and Moab is one of the most beautiful drives Iíve ever made - save for the 2 hours surrounding Grand Junction.

If you are coming from the east, itís TOTALLY worth the extra 10 minutes it takes to go on 128, twisting along the CO River.

Shortened 17" w/Bed, AAM 14B FF / Grizzly, Dana 60 HP / Chromos, Anti-Wrap Bar
4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
DMANbluesfreak is offline   Reply With Quote