Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum - View Single Post - 2001 Silverado Solid Axle Swap 14FF/D60
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 09:59 AM   #1337 (permalink)
DMANbluesfreak
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Saturday morning we played around in the rock garden for a bit. As I went to climb one of the rock walls in the quarry, I ended up busting a centering stud on my double cardan joint on my front shaft. Video of the climb will come later. You can’t even hear it break, but I tried the climb again and as I was backing down I could hear the h-block flopping around. I ditched the h-yoke by cut the centering stud parts off the other two parts to turn it into a single cardan joint and wheeled a few trails on Sunday with no issues. Thank goodness my front driveshaft has tons of slip, or else this wouldn’t have worked since it shortened things about 3”.

I’m done with double cardans for the indefinite future . I rode passenger and took videos of others’ rigs the rest of the day, but when someone confirmed at dinner something I’d thought of earlier in the day, I broke out the grinder and tore my double cardan joint apart.

My plan moving forward is to keep my old GM 3R double cardan shaft as a spare in the truck in case I ever need to drive somewhere in front wheel drive on the street. The vibration/pulsation from the single cardan front shaft under power is unbearable on the street due to mismatched joint angles. The yokes of the modified double cardan were pretty flimsy, so I am going to order some high angle 1410 stuff and make that work with my current shaft. Eventually I’ll convert the pinion side to 1410 from 1350, but in due time.

Anyway… Sunday, we did some of the tougher climbs that I’ve done before to get more of the group up them. No issues with the modified driveshaft to speak up, but it was raining and sloppy. Definitely added some difficulty, but the truck went up everything I pointed it at, except one I’ve always struggled with when it’s been raining.

This is the one I was denied on… you can see how soupy it was at the top by seeing the clay packed in my front tires.

No issues driving home either, which is always a plus.

More pictures to come as the resident photographer (Matt Hayes - mattspitchers on IG) keeps processing the photos he took.

I'll also post pics of the others' rigs when I get a chance - just wanted to get something posted quickly.

Shortened 17" w/Bed, AAM 14B FF / Grizzly, Dana 60 HP / Chromos, Anti-Wrap Bar
4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 06-12-2019 at 10:00 AM.
DMANbluesfreak is offline   Reply With Quote