Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum - View Single Post - Pour in transom replacement?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 01:58 PM   #50 (permalink)
[email protected]

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon2006 View Post
I am wondering what the difference is of going from the outside vs the inside.

I had only seen it done from the inside before this.
If you don't have access to the inside, you can take the outside off but it's generally discouraged. The inner panel is a thinner piece of glass than the outer panel and it's usually put on after the plywood is set in the hull. The outer "panel" is actually the hull, so when you cut it you need to do more work to fix it to make it as strong as it needs to be, plus now you have to make it look good. Nobody will see inside joints so you can concentrate on strength alone.

The glass I'm putting on the core side of the panels isn't really necessary but I figured why not as long as I'm here.
Once the core is poured and cured I'll wrap the I/O hole with biaxial/mat, then I'll tape all the connections between the inner panel and the hull with 3" tape, then cover the entire inner panel with one great big piece of biaxial, 4" past it to the hull at all the joints. Also going to cover the outer skin near the I/O hole in biaxial/mat and then mat then gelcoat.

This will make the inner skin twice as thick, the outer skin twice as thick, and the core twice as thick and from a material 3x stronger than new. I'm shooting for a total 2-1/16" thick transom with no external spacers vs. the original 1-1/8" with plywood spacers.

I am design protecting myself in case the original motor ever goes out, I can build up a 400hp LQ4 without worrying about the transom. Would make for a fun sleeper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote