Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum - View Single Post - retirement
Thread: retirement
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #61 (permalink)
waterhorse

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidVanVorous View Post
I basically retired back in Mar this year...
Only 1 observation, while the idea of doing the "every 10 yr" sabbatical sounds neat, there's only 1 issue, finding work when older (over 55), BTDT. Im 67 BTW...

Don't believe for a minute that finding work is easy as an older employee. To stay out from underfoot I've been doing a bit of searching and had numerous face to face interviews over the past couple months. More often than not its a "look" on the face of supervisors concerned I might replace them or HR reviewing a job I'm obviously overqualified for...

Just sayin'
Not sure about that. Young employees are so fleeting, older guys look pretty good. For example, who would think of taking off a year thirty years ago. Nobody in my circle.

I retired a couple years ago in my fifties. Fortunately I have an instructors license to teach helicopter pilots. I don't really want to do it much (just keep my feet wet) and I don't really need the money, so I priced myself real high. You wouldn't believe it, but now I have a rep as like the best instructor. This year I have tons of guys hiring me. I guess they think because I charge so much, I'm better. I'm a good pilot, but I don't really think I'm special. It blows me away how people are throwing money at me. I get offers all the time to go to their location all expenses and my rediculas rate.

You maybe right, I might not be able to get a real job flying anymore because of age.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote