Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum - View Single Post - R-22
Thread: R-22
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 10:57 AM   #33 (permalink)
thumping

Member # 85483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gittinwidit View Post
Thread Bump... We're coming down to the line! Just got the official word this morning that it's still on for any of us with an older system such as myself. AC systems are suggested to last 15 years before replacement. I know of several that's in their 30 year run. Even having parts custom made so that they can still operate. Mine's currently 15 years and running strong. My last one went 22 years.

"As per the US Environmental Protection Agency, R22 refrigerant will become illegal in the United States on January 1, 2020. After that R22 refrigerant phase out date, R22 refrigerant can no longer be manufactured or imported into the US".

"Jan 1'st 2020. At this point, R22 will no longer be manufactured and cannot be used as a refrigerant in new air conditioning systems. R22 is being replaced by R-410A, a safer material which is the current, compliant standard refrigerant in air conditioning equipment".

"When did AC units stop using r22?
January 1, 2015: By this date there would be ban on the sale and use of R22. There is exception for certain cases, including the serving needs of the existing refrigeration and air conditioning equipment. January 1, 2020: By this date there would complete ban on the production and import of R22 refrigerant."
Sounds like a market for our brethren to the south to supply...