Pirate 4x4 banner

Intermittent Vibration 5,000-6,500 RPM's Towing

958 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  FleshEater 
#1 · (Edited)
2009 Chevy Silverado, 5.3L, 94,000 on the clock. When I'm towing and the truck down shifts, I get an intermittent vibration. It almost vibrates on like a 4 count: BRRR...pause...BRRR...pause, etc. It's not an overly violent vibration, but almost like going over a rumble strip.

I was racking my brain over this, and I'm thinking it's the transmission mount. I checked the joints on the rear driveshaft and noticed I could lift the transfer case slightly while checking them. It's the only think I can thing of. Anything turning, I think would vibrate constantly.

Anyone else have an issue like this, or experience it in a Chebby?

Thanks!

#4 · (Edited)
It’s a continuous vibration. The on and off is harmonics on a sine wave. Remember science class in high school?

Now, why, is a different story. Those trucks love killing motor mounts, so check those. The rubber deteriorates pretty rapidly, especially the dr side. Also, if it has a carrier bearing on the driveshaft, check that too. After that, go to engine imbalance like normal tune up stuff (you have 100k on it) or even intake gaskets that can let air in and cause a vibration, are a good start.

Any other drivability issues?

#5 · (Edited)
Science class in high school? Yeah, right.

I'll check those motor mounts as well. I don't think it has a carrier bearing...I'll check to see about that as well.

Drives great. This doubles as my DD. Has newer plugs, oil changes every 3,000 miles since I bought it with 45,000 on it, can't think of much other maintenance. This is definitely only specific to higher RPM's, so I'm trying to narrow it down that way. It's also really hard to check for a fix, since I only ever get it on highway as 99% of the time my truck never sees those RPM's unless towing or passing up a hill.

#11 ·
I replaced both motor mounts and the transmission mount. Vibration is gone. Original estimation was wrong, the vibration started around 4,250RPMS to 5,500 RPM's. Forgot 6,000+ is in the red. Those motor mounts are a pain to replace on a 4wd, and what the fawk is up with the heat shields on those things? I tossed them. Even if it ruins the mounts faster it's a helluva lot easier replacing them without those meat grinders shoved in there.

Really kicking around the idea of replacing U-joints, just in case. Going to try and make it down to Virginia to grab an old, rust free Cherokee and tow it home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.