Pirate 4x4 banner

T/C Contender smoothbore .410

7K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  [486] 
#1 ·
I was discussing with a friend today about options for a smoothbore .410 barrel for my Contender carbine and we arrived at the conclusion that making one would be easier than finding one(I've looked). Discussing options I thought I'd throw out there since you bunch of heathens are always figuring out how to do what shouldn't be done.

#1) Buy a 21" factory rifle barrel and ream it out to .410. But how do you ream 21"????

#2) Buy a used .410 single shot barrel and weld a T/C lug to it.

#3) Bite the bullet and hunt patiently for a factory smooth bore to come available and come up with the $5-600 they go for(OUCH)

Any ideals from the expert machinists here how to ream a barrel the whole way through fairly accurately? Anyone here have capability to do something like that?

#4 ·
#4) Buy a 410 AR upper and have 15 rounds of 410, forget that single shot nonesense.

Honestly I would do #2. Even if you found a pump gun barrel you could always use it for a sleeve in an adapter to get to TC dimensions.

#5 · (Edited)
Any ideals from the expert machinists here how to ream a barrel the whole way through fairly accurately? Anyone here have capability to do something like that?
expert? hah
I'd use a simple piloted d-bit reamer to finish it a couple thousandths under, then press a carbide ball bearing through it to burnish it smooth, it'll plastic foul like crazy if you just leave it as-reamed

ETA: much easier to weld a tc lug onto an existing 410 barrel (or possibly a piece of properly sized DOM. Barrels are soft steel)

#8 · (Edited)
My friend who is a much more accomplished machinist than I (and owns the lathe) was worried about the length of the reamer/extensions etc causing too much wobble. He mentioned a pull thru reamer but was clueless where one that length could be found. The barrel will be polished thoroughly to avoid plastic fouling! It looks like building a barrel is in the lead for easiest to do! Plus I already have a spare barrel that could contribute to the cause!

#10 ·
Ugh..brain failing me, but I'd reach out to a co that specializes in shotgun barrels and ask them.

I cant recall the name. I sent a barrel off to be shortened, re-threaded, and the forcing cone opened up on a barrel and the cost was very reasonable.

They would probably have some good ideas at least.

#11 ·
It’s been a few years since I sold my TC stuff, but there used to be a couple of TC groups on Facebook where people sold barrels at reasonable prices. House of arms also ran specials from time to time. Personally, I had decent luck on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.