Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum - View Single Post - 3 way switches are bitches
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2019, 10:50 AM   #37 (permalink)
Pokeman

Member # 157355
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
I roughed in a job. Guy that followed me on trim calls “hey I can’t get three ways and four ways to work. Why is one wire wrapped around the other?”

Me “tell me you didn’t Untwist them?”

5 hours later ringing stuff out they worked!
I'm a shade tree electrical guy. I can safely wire a home service to end. But I never did it for a living. Only to help myself and a few friends out.

What do the twisted wires mean? In case I ever finish a job for a real electrician... I wouldn't know what to do with the twisted wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackerbcker(fvckVS) View Post
I'd hate to see you get into a box with a 4 way switch, being fed (ie powered) and switched (ie switch loop) going to it. Or a switch powered at the light(somewhat common in older homes), or switched outlets...or electrical

#doneSDCJing
The power for one of my 5 ways comes from a single bathroom light on its own switch. I lived for WEEKS with the bathroom light and the 5 way switch only working if the bathroom light was on and one of the 5 way switches was on. It would work or not work in odd switching combinations.

ended up pulling all the switches and connectivity testing each wire until I found out what was going on

It was a mess