Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum - View Single Post - Fancy Hobo Rape Shack
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2020, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
ckupq

Member # 121718
Fancy Hobo Rape Shack

https://www.thedrive.com/news/32036/...996-ford-f-350
Quote:
Despite what the internet might have you believe, some overlanders would rather pass on pricey, ready-built kits in favor of something DIY-centric. This means forgoing rooftop tents and already-assembled bed racks for a more bespoke project—in the case of Alaska man Tim Johnston, that means a small-scale log cabin in the back of his 1996 Ford F-350. And while some hardcore enthusiasts spend $50,000 or more while modifying their rigs, Johnston's cost him just $26,000 with the truck included.
espite what the internet might have you believe, some overlanders would rather pass on pricey, ready-built kits in favor of something DIY-centric. This means forgoing rooftop tents and already-assembled bed racks for a more bespoke project—in the case of Alaska man Tim Johnston, that means a small-scale log cabin in the back of his 1996 Ford F-350. And while some hardcore enthusiasts spend $50,000 or more while modifying their rigs, Johnston's cost him just $26,000 with the truck included.
Now, he and the truck venture out on days-long trips across Alaska's frigid terrain. Luckily, there's a reliable 7.3-liter Power Stroke diesel under the hood that can take Johnston to and from campsites without issue...so long as it starts up in the morning. We imagine a block heater was number one on the modification list given the compression ignition lump's slow-cranking nature in the cold.

"My truck house is perfect, it has everything I need to stay out for as long as I need," Johnston added.

"I wasn’t in a rush with this project, I thought if I was going to do it again, I wanted to do it properly and make it exactly how I had pictured it in my head."

One thing's for sure: We couldn't have done it better ourselves. Just look at that front porch!
ckupq is offline   Reply With Quote