Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum - View Single Post - H3 SAS (first detailed thread?)
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 05:55 PM   #450 (permalink)
06 H3
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
Tuesday Day 3: We go into full repair mode, we need his rig on backdoor by tomorrow at 8AM. We need a front locker, bumper fixed and rear R&P.

We hit the road to Corona and bought all the parts at Yotamasters. They were super cool and helpful. We stop at Home Depot to get stuff for a makeshift tent in case the wind is bad and we stopped at carquest since my PS pump started to feel weak.

We got back at 6pm due to traffic and not leaving until 10 or so.

So we get pizza delivered to the lakebed at our campsite by 5 dollar pizza which was super cool and got to work by 7pm.

Started with bumper repairs, we FULLY welded everything since the previous owner didn't and we added tube gussets to strengthen it a good amount.

My premier power welder came in handy this trip! (click the image for the video)

We got that fixed and then tore apart the rear end. Luckily our other buddy was on his way out and brought us all the diff tools we needed.

Nothing like doing a legit gear install in the desert on a lifetime plastic table at 3:30AM!

Doing out best with what we have and the time we have.

Here's me freezing my ass off!

We got done by 4:45AM and he had a good safe bumper and a rear end back together. The locker will get done another time... Time for bed and to be ready rolling out to backdoor for recovery around 7:15AM

I also forgot to mention I installed some lap belts on the lakebed! I wanted to for years. I was sick and tired of the factory belts locking up on me on the trail. I mounted them off the factory seat bolt holes. I will use them off road and the factory belts on road.

Day 4: was uneventful, we had 4 rollover recoveries in the EMC race and I had to go recover a broken car at the top of Resolution.

We wanted to pull him a certain way, he didn't want us to. He insisted and sure enough my buddy broke a front D60 stub shaft pulling him backwards uphill in reverse. It was nice of him to NOT offer to replace it! Especially since we were out there doing it for free.....