Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum - View Single Post - 4 link mocked up ...Tell me what you think
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2006, 02:09 AM   #21 (permalink)
tdavis

Member # 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperman
I tried using the calculator but just got lost. Any advise ? Also what is the latest xls version, I searched and came up with links that don't work or old versions.
Let's try this - first, the link pictures I am using are for a mock up, and are not final. So let's ignore the fab portion, ok?

you need to take a bunch of measurements.

First, a rough guess of the CG - One rule of thumb is to measure to the top of the bell housing.

Second, a rough guess of weight.

Get Excel, open the spreadsheet. Put the CG number in field named "Vehicle CG Height"; place the weight in Vehicle Mass. Also fill in wheelbase and Tire rolling Radius (height of tire divided by 2).

Okay, now for the measuring part. You need 12 measurements.

First, the front to rear numbers you need to look and measure from this picture:

Measure from the ground, how high the lines A, B, F are. They go through the bolts holding the links in place. The measurements are straight from the axle or ground to the mounting points; they are NOT link lengths. Run string and pull tight to each mount point if needed.

Line A is the 'Z' field of Frame End of Lower Links
Line B is the 'Z' field of Frame End of Upper Links
Line F is the 'Z' field of the Axle End of Upper Links.

Measure from the axle center line, the length of lines C, D, E and the distance from the axle center line to line F.

Line C is the 'X' field of the Frame End of the Lower Links
Line D is the 'X' field of the Frame End of the Upper Links
Line E is the 'X' field of the Axle End of the Lower Links
Line F is the 'X' field of the Axle End of the Upper Links.

Measure from G (axle center line) to the ground. One tip - I used the same number as the tire rolling radius here.

Line G is the 'Z' field of the Axle End of the Upper Links.

At this point, you are still short 4 numbers. These numbers are the distance between the links. You measure just like this picture:

Measure the length lines H, I, J and K. They go from center of link to center of link (or for ease, left side of link to left side of link on other side.)

Line H divided by 2 is the 'Y' field of the Frame End of the Upper Links
Line I divided by 2 is the 'Y' field of the Axle End of the Upper Links.
Line J divided by 2 is the 'Y' field of the Frame End of the Lower Links
Line K divided by 2 is the 'Y' field of the Axle End of the Lower Links

Fill in these into the spreadsheet, and you should see some numbers come out in the Geometry Summary.

If you check the VectorCalculations Sheet, you will find the link lengths there.
I hope this helps..
Attached Images