Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum - View Single Post - Family Car/Tow Rig - Tahoe?
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2002, 01:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
Quote:
Originally posted by Brandon
was that bronco a 2wd? Yea, once a month sounds about right for towing. Maybe it would be easier to start ruling some out - what about the durango, v8 explorer, ?

I don't mind towing slow, just want to tow safe - whatever that means (Only thing I have ever towed is a military trailer behind my jeep!)
4wd on the Bronco.

I have towed with my dad's 99 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4x4 Sport w/ the V8 - and I was not happy with it, so IMHO - that rules out the Durango.

I have also towed with an Explorer (4.0L, auto, pulled a CJ5 on a tow dolly from Nashville to Pensacola, FL) - not bad, but tow dollies are not like pulling a trailer either... My opinion - pass on the Explorer.

Have you considered an Expedition? 1/2 ton I know - but the prices on used ones are droping like rocks around here...

As far as towing safe - good trailer tires are a must, trailer brakes, and a nicely balanced trailer will let you tow safely with a 1/2 ton vehicle for once a month towing...

BTW - as you can see the "3/4 ton or better - nothing else" people have already started, and although they have a point to an extent - I am giving you real world experience on some of the many things I have towed or towed with - you can believe who you chose

>It only hurts the first time you agree with me...
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote