Next was 8 lug conversions... Basically my plan was/is to make an adapter plate out of steel that will attach to the stock mog 6 lug hub and convert it to 8 lug. It will weld on then the studs will press through both pieces to help hold it all together, it's also all hub centric so it should never be a problem.
Here are the rotors, late model Chevy 2500HD rear rotors:
Here is the start of one of the steel adapters, they are widdled from 1" plate. The pockets are where the stud heads will recess. I broke my 3/4" endmill so I only got one done, replacements will be here Thursday.
I will be using stock H1 8 bolt rims on these to keep the track width the same as the 60 I had with my re-centered H1's before.
Next step was replacing one of the axle shafts. A u-joint broke and took out the ears on the stub shaft. I could just replace the stub shaft but that requires work. I just replaced the entire portal with another with the shafts all attached:
The black box is the new one.
Just a note on steering. I am using the same parts that X-Rated used on his U1300's. He was kind enough to offer his steering arms for sale on here and I snatched up two sets for my front/queer steer. Should work very nicely. Will be using the same 2.5"x10" double ended ram that I currently have.
Well time to make some real progress. I plasma'd all the brackets off the front axle and flap disc'd it smooth:
Then I pulled my heavily used and abused 79 Ford 60:
The old girl has been through hell under that truck and I commend her for her service. Just gotta figure out what to do with her.
Shot of the broken JJ from the axle flipping adventure: