Pirate 4x4 banner

project toyota

56K views 108 replies 34 participants last post by  gtr1990 
#1 · (Edited)
93 SAS VW turbo diesel

THIS PROJECT HAS CHANGED- page 5

Well I gave in and decided to join the forum and post my built for constructive Criticism. please let me know your thoughts and ideas. I guess i should say at this time that i do frame repair in the collision repair industry on 90% toyota. So most of the body work stuff is an everyday thing to me. but im new to everything else in terms 4x4 fabrication. My start of this project started with the ^!@#$*& gas prices. At the time i decided to take on this masive task of the buildup, i owned a gas gulping 5.2l Grand Cherokee Limited. I loved the vehicle expecialy the interior but hated the fuel economy 11.2mpg with my foot. So i decided i needed a economic, reliable 4x4. If you look around in the light truck market their are no diesels, namely YOU TOYOTA (GET ON IT). so easy solution build the truck you want heres the plans. at some point i will post my research bookmarks on all the info that helped me the most. All i can say is research the %^#* out of every aspect of your build. And be comfortable with each section before you start. FORUMS ARE GOLD

1993 toyota pickup ext cab
-2wd reinforced frame
-4runner rear axle
-solid front axle
-VW TDI/IDI 1.9l turbo diesel
-bob bed
-grand cherokee seats
-acme adapters adapter plate (Thanks Jeff)
-w56 tranny with gear driven transfer case
I will expand this list some day because its LONG

SORRY about the delay in posting pics

this is how i bought it rolled and 2wd (not for long)

getting her striped

the donner of rear axle and many many random parts

got some parts from pick and pull (and w56 with gear tranfer case from a 4cyl 4runner)

stripping the beatup 4runner with 3.0l

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Well I gave in and decided to join the forum and post my built for constructive Criticism. I will ll post all the pics up to date. please let me know your thoughts
Your constructive criticism is going to get worse if you don`t post some pics :D and thats my thoughts:flipoff2::D

#5 · (Edited)
was a 4 runner

runner rear axle

1990 gmc 1500 2wd rear leafs

thank the technology gods for the plasma cutter

3.5 inch 1/4 wall square tubing cut to make spring hangers

rear lift day

yes yes i know the rear shackles, dont worry im moving the hanger back and making thicker shackles

perches

another

about 4 inches cut off and 2x4inch x 1/4 wall(i know thats a heavy peice, its for towing) new cross member with the old one removed.

DONT SAY SHACKLE ANGLE!! its not done

#8 · (Edited)
The bed bob the quesion of how much to take out depended on the rear cross member placment. it ended up being 8inches

a few cut off wheels and some spare time

make a 1 1/2inch wide strip of the scrap and tack it together untill i get tilme to weld it completly and do the body work

#9 ·
Looks like it shoud be a pretty sweet rig when it's done. The only thing i notices was the shackle straps seemed pretty then:confused:. We could also use a spec list 2.:flipoff2:

#12 · (Edited)
ADAPTER PLATE

Today I recived my adapter plate from www.acmeadapters.com. What a quality piece of metal. When i first started this project i had planned on making my own adapter plate but because of time and the need for tolerances to be so tight i decided to purchase a bare bones kit. After looking at the product I'm so glad i bought it rather than make it. their are many small things that would have been a real headache (notice the countersunk alen head bolds). I got my eye on a front axle and engine for next weeks update.

(ps. monster yota, I have no idea what type of cut off tool it is I got it from an old timer in the trade and its unmarked as to the maker)

and the calipers from an the 4runner for the SAS

thanks for the replies guys keep em coming

#19 ·
I think you would be ok with 1/4 straps for the shackles. As far as the track bar they don't use it cause it LIMITS the flex. For that little of a diesel and given the room you have you should be fine with the intercooler off the the SX. Your build up's coming along nice, keep it up.

#24 · (Edited)
Sounds good 1/4 in braced it is. No track bar. How about the sway bar(with quick discos). Will it make much difference. Keep in mind thins is a daily driver and weekend wheeler.

Ps. WEAR GOGGLES at all times, I made the mistake of taking of the tinted goggles and continued cutting for a few minutes . GOT FLASH BURN!!!!!!!!!! first and LAST time I will make that mistake

#26 ·
No track bar. How about the sway bar(with quick discos). Will it make much difference. Keep in mind thins is a daily driver and weekend wheeler.
That's the "torque relay rod"....keeps the axle from tipping forward on braking. Doesn't do a lot to keep the springs from wrapping on acceleration.

As for a sway bar, yes, it will make a difference on a DD rig. Good shocks are a must, too.

#27 · (Edited)
spulen81

I wish the choice was up to me. Its all based on the wallet. Obviously I would much rather go TDI/ mTDI but even up here in Canada where every other VW is a TDI they are hard to find on the salvage market. I have been bidding on salvage auctions for a few weeks with no luck. If anyone knows where to source one close to home let me know. Your build looks SWEET on Marlin, it was one of my deciding factors to take on this project. Any advise you have as the build progresses is much appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.