Load Bolts how to Install Yourself - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Vendor's Marketplace > Axles/Tires/Wheels
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 164791
GM Dana 60 Load Bolt

Told Carl I would post these into his thread.

This is my Dana 60, I opened the hole then had a buddy who can Tig much better than me burn it in think he used ER70S2.

Drilled the hole to .875 then opened up the rest of the way with a die grinder.

He put down a root pass then one more on top. I didn't take a picture of the root pass.

Since I am using Dana 60 gears it pulls the load bolt back, we couldn't get all the way around the inside.

Turned down a Yukon Zip Locker, for the load bolt. By the way I called Yukon before I turned down the locker and told them what I was going to do and they said they would still honor the warranty. I thought that was stellar.
boing. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 35163
Quote:
Originally Posted by unRL View Post
For you Toyota guys running the 9.5" LC gear sets, we now have load bolts available. $100 each and, $150 for the reusable installation tool.
The Toyota gear has plenty of real-estate on the back side so turning down the carrier was not necessary. However with the housing being cast Iron (rather than nodular iron like a Dana) I was worried about welding in the load bolt threaded bushing. Thanks Jeramie for loaning a couple of housings to experiment with. I tried welding a couple of beads with the wire feed on one of the webs of the housing, and found it to weld just fine. I then tried the wire feed in a corner without preheat and without any peening, and had a very slight crack at the beginning of the weld puddle, It was so small you couldn't see it but i found it using a die penetrate crack check. So I figured they can be welded in using a wire feed and proper cast iron welding techniques. Just the same I experimented on one and installed the bushings by brazing, which worked well, especially on the inside where it would have been impossible to weld all a round with a wire feed. I did the next one with TIG and NiCast rod on the outside and 308 rod on the inside, both blended in nicely.To get to the back side of the bushing I used a small mirror to see where I was welding, You can see our peening technique on this vid. Load bolt, welding in the bushing - YouTube
Does this kit also fit the fzj80 casting or is it for the earlier casting only?

FZJ80 third member:

Last edited by Toyoland66; 03-15-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Toyoland66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 23586
Send a message via AIM to unRL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyoland66 View Post
Does this kit also fit the fzj80 casting or is it for the earlier casting only?

FZJ80 third member:
I don't know, If it takes the same ring & pinion, or at least the same carrier assembly, that is the same ring gear bolt pattern, then I see now reason why it would not work. Looks like the casting is wider. I made the threaded bushing a bit shorter for he 9.5" toy than the Dana 60/70 units, I could send both sizes, and as long as its the same ring gear bolt pattern then it should all work out.
Carl Jantz A.S.,B.S.,M.E. & S.O.H.Ks. SUPER JP ,42 Flat Fender, 25" stretch, JANA 76's, 300M, ARBS, 5.89's, 47s, SM420, Ranger overdrive, Dual disk McCleod, PTO, 4:1, Home made bead locks, and Patented the Yukon Superjoint.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
unRL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #79 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 187456
Any plans for a HP D30 load bolt system?
'r than gcc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you fuckers actually took a second to read the words rather than knee jerk reacting to the pics, you might have a clue what his plan is.

EricsGreen98Tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 23586
just finished the ford 9", then 14 B, so I guess d30 is coming after that.
Carl Jantz A.S.,B.S.,M.E. & S.O.H.Ks. SUPER JP ,42 Flat Fender, 25" stretch, JANA 76's, 300M, ARBS, 5.89's, 47s, SM420, Ranger overdrive, Dual disk McCleod, PTO, 4:1, Home made bead locks, and Patented the Yukon Superjoint.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 23586
9" with DIY load bolt

The nice thing about doing the load bolt in the 9" housing is you can use a feeler gauge to set the clearance. The Nodular Yukon housing welded up real nice. Locating it was a breeze, after doing some careful measurements the load bolt threaded bushing just goes tangent to the housing flange and 1/4 down from the edge of the flange bolt hole.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 23586
14 Bolt Load Bolt

Finally in stock and ready to ship, 14 bolt load bolt DIY kits.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 23586
14 bolt load bolt cont't

lay out.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #84 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 187456
Sorry if I'm being a PITA but are the Jk Dana 30 gears stronger than the regular hp d30 gears? Like how the Jk44 gears are stronger than a regular lp d44 gear set?

Would it be possible? Kinda like a Jana k3 kit?

Was wondering because the Jk d30 gears go down to 5.13 and mabey a 5.38(if you can find them in stock). And a stronger gear set never hurts..
'r than gcc

If you fuckers actually took a second to read the words rather than knee jerk reacting to the pics, you might have a clue what his plan is.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #85 (permalink)

Member # 23586
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
Sorry if I'm being a PITA but are the Jk Dana 30 gears stronger than the regular hp d30 gears? Like how the Jk44 gears are stronger than a regular lp d44 gear set?

Would it be possible? Kinda like a Jana k3 kit?

Was wondering because the Jk d30 gears go down to 5.13 and mabey a 5.38(if you can find them in stock). And a stronger gear set never hurts..
I don't know, so question is high or low pinion, and I think I have checked in on this before,the newer gears have a much shorter pinion, so it just does not work out, but I will check again, for any possibilities.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #86 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 187456
I believe that the Jk gears are reverse rotation so they would only work in a hp d30, all else equal, right?
'r than gcc

Old 12-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 170514
Load bolt for a currie high pinion 3rd

Ive grow attached to the sweet driveline angle in my XJ. But as time marches on I've become weary of my 10 year old Currie third member. (7 years on 35s&3 years on 37s) Please tell me there is a load bolt kit for it. Also cost of load blt and girdle set up for a JK Dana 30. Thanks
Scott
Old 12-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 23586
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs View Post
Ive grow attached to the sweet driveline angle in my XJ. But as time marches on I've become weary of my 10 year old Currie third member. (7 years on 35s&3 years on 37s) Please tell me there is a load bolt kit for it. Also cost of load blt and girdle set up for a JK Dana 30. Thanks
Scott
I can build a load bolt system for the 30.
I just have not done it yet.
So if your not in a big rush I would be happy to start doing them.
Pricing would be:
Load bolt assembly $100
Load bolt installation kit rental $50
Rental deposit on install kit $100
Girdle cover $325.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:14 PM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 170514
Thanks for the quick response
Is there a greater strength gained by the load bolt system ,or by the girdle?
Old 12-10-2014, 08:56 PM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 23586
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs View Post
Thanks for the quick response
Is there a greater strength gained by the load bolt system ,or by the girdle?
that is a tough question, and for the load bolt I can clearly measure the amount of deflection a non load bolted ring gear gets. (over .030") at Dana Spicers maximum momentary output torque.
The Girdle is hard to measure, but I calculated it is easily .020", similar to the spread you get when you use a differential spreader to install the carrier.

The best way to look at is is this. you take any box or for example a Tupperware container, move it around in your hands, then put the lid on it and see how much more stiffer it becomes.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:36 PM   #91 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 140878
Quote:
Originally Posted by unRL View Post
I can build a load bolt system for the 30.
I just have not done it yet.
So if your not in a big rush I would be happy to start doing them.
Pricing would be:
Load bolt assembly $100
Load bolt installation kit rental $50
Rental deposit on install kit $100
Girdle cover $325.
Still no D30 load bolt?
@unRL

Last edited by TrailTamer XJ; 10-24-2016 at 12:08 PM.
TrailTamer XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2017, 04:48 PM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 23586
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailTamer XJ View Post
Still no D30 load bolt?
@unRL
I have figured them out, have not done a production run yet, if you want, send me $270, and I will get the ball rolling. Also Just had shoulder surgery so figure 3-4 weeks for your unit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in