fj80 high steer the way you need it - Page 22 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Vendor's Marketplace > Axles/Tires/Wheels
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2016, 08:44 PM   #526 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by robi615 View Post
Has anyone heard when the next run will be ready?
Looks like he hasn't made a post since 6/17

Edit: I also pmed him on 7/17, with no response

Hopefully ruffstuff bought the rights to these. Seems pretty silly to recommend 7/8" hiems when they hit each other on the pass arm at about 30* left

Not to mention the arm is too short for an fj80 pitman arm and I have travel left in my steering box....

I just pmed ruffstuff, hopefully they will chime in and clear things up.

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 08-28-2016 at 08:52 PM.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2016, 10:00 PM   #527 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 51387
Send a message via Yahoo to Gravel Maker
Hello everyone. We did purchase Hellfire Fab and Billy's designs a bit over a year ago.

I am very disappointed in the time involved to get these back on the market but finally the time is near. We have 47 pairs machined and ready to go in the shop but we are testing them for at least another week. After that they should be good to go. We had some difficulty with both the castings and the machinist. The casting bugs were worked out and we eventually found a local machinist capable of doing the work for a fair price.

I really have no excuse for a year+ from start to finish. It is something we are working on but I can only praise Sam (Our engineer) and Steven (Our purchasing manager) for all the efforts they went to getting these right. Billy was also a great help with the transition but in the end the blame is on me for not throwing enough resources at the project.

These are a first in what should be a long line of this type of product from us and we had to get it right. You really need to thank Billy for getting these done in the first place, in the end he was losing money on every pair but he had made promises to all of you and he sucked up the loss and lived up to his word.

If you are on the list we will be sending out notifications in the next week and if you are wanting a pair give Hellfire a call at 916-259-2605 or an email at [email protected]

......"The NEW Industry Standard"

Tech/Sales 916.600.1945

You can SAY anything, its what you DO that matters!
Gravel Maker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2016, 12:01 AM   #528 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Again,

Is there going to be an arm that actually works with the 7/8" hiems?

Old 08-29-2016, 12:31 AM   #529 (permalink)

Member # 88819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Maker:38055081
Hello everyone. We did purchase Hellfire Fab and Billy's designs a bit over a year ago.

I am very disappointed in the time involved to get these back on the market but finally the time is near. We have 47 pairs machined and ready to go in the shop but we are testing them for at least another week. After that they should be good to go. We had some difficulty with both the castings and the machinist. The casting bugs were worked out and we eventually found a local machinist capable of doing the work for a fair price.

I really have no excuse for a year+ from start to finish. It is something we are working on but I can only praise Sam (Our engineer) and Steven (Our purchasing manager) for all the efforts they went to getting these right. Billy was also a great help with the transition but in the end the blame is on me for not throwing enough resources at the project.

These are a first in what should be a long line of this type of product from us and we had to get it right. You really need to thank Billy for getting these done in the first place, in the end he was losing money on every pair but he had made promises to all of you and he sucked up the loss and lived up to his word.

If you are on the list we will be sending out notifications in the next week and if you are wanting a pair give Hellfire a call at 916-259-2605 or an email at [email protected]

I would like a new pair of arms for my knuckles as well. I had talked with Billy about either getting them undrilled or have him drill and taper them for gm 1 ton tre. So do I contact him or Ruff stuff for these?
Old 08-31-2016, 05:07 PM   #530 (permalink)
kpj
Rock God

Member # 6920
Took the comment to PM as the email might not be correct.

Last edited by kpj; 08-31-2016 at 06:02 PM.
kpj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2016, 05:28 PM   #531 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 51387
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpj View Post
The latest email I just received on these doesn't sound to promising...
I'm not sure what email you got but you can always call me and get the answer. PM me for my number.

Tech/Sales 916.600.1945

Old 08-31-2016, 06:05 PM   #532 (permalink)
kpj
Rock God

Member # 6920
I sent you a copy of the email. I hope it is not true. Shoot me your email and I can forward you the real email.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:44 PM   #533 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 51387
I didn't know they were sending an email out but it should be easy to resolve. The essential problem seems to be that the machinist removed 1/8" too much from the caliper mounts. So the rotors and the caliper do not fit well. We can TIG weld a thin spacer onto them to build up the excess removal but that would not be perfect and we want them perfect.

The next batch of castings have been ready for 3 weeks so that is not a problem. However we need this machinist to do a much better quality control. The test pair fit perfectly. On the main batch (47 PR), the right hand knuckles are all bad. The rest of the knuckle is within tolerances but not as perfect as I wish.

They are planning to begin machining the new batch (60 PR) next week. Instead of using them again I am using an old friend that has been machining small parts for us for 10 years rather than who we used on the first batch. Our old machinist was simply too busy at the time to originally do the work. In hindsight we should have waited until he was available.

I think I need to add that Mel is a small, one man operation but has been doing great work for 40 years. Because his operation is smaller it will take him longer but I expect about 10PR a week from him (He works 20HR's a week for us already).

Tech/Sales 916.600.1945

Old 09-02-2016, 07:16 PM   #534 (permalink)
kpj
Rock God

Member # 6920
For those running the hellfire knuckles, what are you getting for steering angle form them?
Old 09-03-2016, 09:29 AM   #535 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
For those running the hellfire knuckles, what are you getting for steering angle form them?
About 45* to the right and 30* to the left......
Old 09-07-2016, 08:04 PM   #536 (permalink)

Member # 123383
Kind of feel like i got sold some snake oil now. Using fj80 axles under my tacoma is starting to sound like a big mistake. Already have the 4 wheel underground 3-link on the way from brian. How do I tell if my knuckles have the improper caliper mounting thickness and what other fuck-ups should I be looking for. I bought my pair in Jan 15' and received them in March 15'

Last edited by Rocktaco02; 09-07-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Rocktaco02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 08:13 PM   #537 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 51387
You don't have any knuckles with the problem, we have all of them. They came from the machinist we used and we would not distribute anything with a problem.

The next batch which should be here tomorrow or Friday from the foundry will be the first batch we will sell, right now we have a few paperweights and they are on us. They will be here but a new machinist will be doing the work after we give them to him.

About your snakeoil you might ask around, we don't play that way...Dan

Tech/Sales 916.600.1945

Old 09-07-2016, 09:26 PM   #538 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Are you guys making extra arms to replace the arms with the hiem interference issue?

Also, did you move the tie rod holes or drag link hole?
Old 09-07-2016, 09:29 PM   #539 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 51387
We made entirely different arms...

Tech/Sales 916.600.1945

Old 09-07-2016, 09:53 PM   #540 (permalink)
whatever

Member # 16003
Details on the new arms?
2001 D2 Ruffstuff LC 80 series front/rear/ARB/Detroit, Longs, 37" creepy's, 14" ADS 2.125 Coilovers, 1.6 lt230 w/Ashcroft Under Drive PSC hydro steering Hellfire Hi Steer Knuckles...a lot of revisions and a lot of weldin'
1983 110 RHD Pick-up
mongosd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 09:56 PM   #541 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Maker View Post
We made entirely different arms...
Im not sure if I'm not being clear or if you are trying to dodge my question. I've brought it up twice over pm and multiple times in this thread.

Just in case, I'll ask again.

I have a pair of hellfire knuckles and arms, I believe they were the latest version that Bobby shipped. The hiems on the pass side arm hit each other when turning left, severely limiting steering to the left.

You said in the pm you corrected this issue, and asked if I already have a set of knuckles and arms, but never offered a solution for my issue.

Are you going to have arms available separately from the knuckles?

Are you planning on replacing the defective arms that customers already have?

I've been pretty patient, Bobby promised to make me a custom arm (not sure how an arm that doesn't bind is custom, but whatever) with his "next batch" in the spring of 2015. I contacted him in summer of 2015 and he said he was swamped and blah blah. I wasn't pushing it because I know he is a very small guy and we as trying to make it right. Here we are a year and half later and I got nothing. So I apologize if my posts have some attitude, I would just like to know what is being done. I understand the company is under new ownership, so I don't expect for you to fix problems from the previous owner.

I just want a definite answer.

Also, I don't see how I could possibly be the only one with this issue.

Thanks

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 09-07-2016 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:57 AM   #542 (permalink)

Member # 123383
Quote:

About your snakeoil you might ask around, we don't play that way...Dan
I was in no way trying to insult you Dan, your reputation precedes you. I spent a lot of time going back and forth with billy on the setup before I purchased the knuckles. I even drove down to lakeside to his house to buy an 80 axle he was selling, and to see some of his projects. I spoke with him many times online/email and in person. Where I'm put off is that i spent over a grand on something that I had full confidence at the time that it would work as advertised and now I'm knocking on the doorstep of my swap that is 10 years in the making (I'm not well off by any means, every part I buy like most people on here is a physical manifestation of my hard work) and all these problems are coming to light now. I cant afford to get shoulder deep into this project then get stuck with a truck that is unusable. I'm eagerly awaiting your answer to YotaAiteToo's question. To all of us with the old arms are we just screwed or can we send ours in for a re-profiling. I'm just frustrated is all.
Rocktaco02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2016, 09:48 PM   #543 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktaco02 View Post
I was in no way trying to insult you Dan, your reputation precedes you. I spent a lot of time going back and forth with billy on the setup before I purchased the knuckles. I even drove down to lakeside to his house to buy an 80 axle he was selling, and to see some of his projects. I spoke with him many times online/email and in person. Where I'm put off is that i spent over a grand on something that I had full confidence at the time that it would work as advertised and now I'm knocking on the doorstep of my swap that is 10 years in the making (I'm not well off by any means, every part I buy like most people on here is a physical manifestation of my hard work) and all these problems are coming to light now. I cant afford to get shoulder deep into this project then get stuck with a truck that is unusable. I'm eagerly awaiting your answer to YotaAiteToo's question. To all of us with the old arms are we just screwed or can we send ours in for a re-profiling. I'm just frustrated is all.
To clear something up, the hiems will only contact each other when on the same level. I welded my inserts in as low as I could since I was trying to keep my rig low while maintaining decent up travel.

Since you are going to be linked in the front, all you need to do is run the tie rod on the bottom of the arms, the drag link on top and you will be good.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:54 PM   #544 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 51387
Sorry this has taken me so long, I was at an event all day...

The new arms will fit with full movement, we will likely replace any old with problems. Billy did a great job getting these as far as he did but anyone can make a mistake.

BTW, the arms as they are allow for a 3/4" Heim steering kit, the 7/8" is too tight but 3/4" is fine, they all fit fj80 TRE's.

Tech/Sales 916.600.1945

Old 09-08-2016, 10:13 PM   #545 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Sorry this has taken me so long, I was at an event all day...

The new arms will fit with full movement, we will likely replace any old with problems. Billy did a great job getting these as far as he did but anyone can make a mistake.

BTW, the arms as they are allow for a 3/4" Heim steering kit, the 7/8" is too tight but 3/4" is fine, they all fit fj80 TRE's.
So if they are too tight for 7/8" hiems then that doesn't solve the issue that the old arms had?
Old 09-08-2016, 10:33 PM   #546 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9154
the arms as they are is what he said not the new ones
98.5 dodge,EZ,TST,ex brk,Goerend,ford outers,quad bags
'05 arctic fox-880wts solar,inverter,cocktail cubes 24/7
502cu in boat EVIL SATISFACTION

Last edited by v6toy4x; 09-08-2016 at 10:33 PM.
v6toy4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2016, 10:37 PM   #547 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6toy4x View Post
the arms as they are is what he said not the new ones

Thanks
Old 10-31-2016, 11:19 PM   #548 (permalink)

Member # 684337
When will we start seeing these for order on the website?
Voale Zwetzak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2016, 10:57 PM   #549 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
So if they are too tight for 7/8" hiems then that doesn't solve the issue that the old arms had?
Looks like is actually correct for the first batch.

No worries for me, since I'm going full hydro.

On that note, are the arms available by them selves yet? I would like to both arms to have 2 holes and be the same length as the pass side arm.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:51 AM   #550 (permalink)

Member # 52753
Quote:
I haven't measured but running the tie rod on the bottom of the arms via the inner holes, the 1.5" tube hits the diff cover before maxing the knuckle steer. I am changing to 1.25" chromo to give myself a little more clearance, thus steering angle. My arms are 2014.

Last edited by Tacoma_Kyle; 12-05-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Tacoma_Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in