Pirate 4x4 banner

GenRight Offroad Semi Valley, CA

20K views 54 replies 32 participants last post by  LANDABUSER 
#1 ·
Well after some time I have reluctantly decided to voice my frustration with GenRight Offroad on the Forums. In 2014/2015 I completed a major suspension build on my 2003 TJR and spent well over $40 K on axles, suspension components, labor among many other parts. I purchased a set of Currie Rock Jock 60 axles through GenRight as well as their suspension components, gas tank/skid etc.. to build my rig up according to their advice (specifically Andrew). I spend over $25 K with GenRight alone on the parts. Once the work was completed I started to experience problems with multiple parts they sold me and to top it off the Currie axles leak. The rear axle started a seal leak within weeks of getting the rig back from the shop (we did not powder coat so no issues with heat would have caused the leak). It's likely the seal was damaged during assembly of the parts into the housing, but hard to say/target given I didn't put them together myself (it should be noted that Currie build the completed units). The front differential has a leak that I have attempted numerous times to get to stop by trying different 'tricks' GenRight employees suggest. I have come to the conclusion the front diff cover should have never been incorporated into the tri-link front design because that is causing slight movement of the cover which in turn is causing a leak (note this is GenRight's design). I don't have a weep, I have a leak. After the fact I began speaking with Andrew about this issue and he stated they are known to weep (something he never mentioned when I was going on his advice before the install). After numerous attempts to try GR suggested 'tricks' to solve the issue I have come up short and only wasted more money on parts and labor. I have asked to speak with a manager at GenRight on more than one occasion but I guess the sales staff doesn't want to push me to that level because they are never willing to get a manager only sending me over to either Andrew or try and solve/offer up help on their own. Very frustrating that I can spend that kind of money with a business and not even get to speak with a manager when the sales staff cannot help. Others have even gone out of their way to contact GenRight for me but I have yet to hear anything back from GenRight.. basically I'm just a fart in the wind to GenRight. My rig is my pride and joy and I am now sorry I did all this custom work when I would have been happy staying with a stretched Nth Degree Mobility setup on Dynatrac axles. I have been building Jeeps for over twenty years now and I have had companies disappoint me before but never to the level I am experiencing with GenRight. I am most frustrated with the fact that I am stuck with this setup given the amount of financial commitment I placed in doing the conversion. Going back to what I had will cost me more in labor/parts and I am currently focused on my 6.2 LS3 conversion. In time I may remove the GenRight junk.

My main frustration with GenRight lies in the fact they don't offer solutions to the issues that work nor do they back their products/designs (at least in my case). A reputable well known shop in the greater Los Angeles area did the work and I am confident in their work for the most part. While I had my concerns with that shop over some other issues their work, for the most part, has held up well over the last 20 months. I only say "for the most part" because I am not happy with the way they installed the PSC ram. I don't mind sharing the shop in a PM but don't care to associate that business with this negative post toward GenRight.

Again, I want to mention I am reluctantly posting about my experience with GR but at this point I have been treated like a chump so I feel I should put out a warning that you too may be treated like a chump. I don't really care to hear from any pussy whipped GenRight supporters however if anyone has suggestions or advice on how to move forward I am all ears. Thanks for taking note guys.

Photo of the rig so you know it's not a phantom post.

Here she sits with my 05 LJ Rubicon Sahara, that rig will never sport a single GenRight part and I will avoid Currie if I can. I have never been a fan of Currie and can't believe I let GR talk me out of Dynatrac axles to go with Currie.

See less See more
#45 ·
Short answer.. no. Nothing has been done with the front diff. Last time the rig was driven the ram seemingly failed so on the trailer and down to the Bay it went (that was Jan 2017). After much thought this evening I am going to have the unit inspected under a microscope, if I can, and post back. If it turns out the diff cover is warped I will certainly have more questions than answers at that point and it will most certainly be more difficult to pin point this as a design flaw on GR's part and error in judgement on my part to move forward with a design that incorporates a CA mount being attached to a differential cover. I failed to read this thread since my last posts until earlier this evening and now I find myself questioning several things that may have gone wrong. Quite a bit of time has gone by at this point (3.5+ years since the labor). If the unit is warped I will likely have a truss built and get a new cover. In that event I will have to give GR the benefit of the doubt. If it is not warped I will give JSS a shot at stopping the issue as is and if the problem continues to persist there is a chance I will take it down to GR to have a look otherwise I may likely write the issue off and try and forget it ever happened and move forward with a truss. I like the design in theory but if it doesn't work then it doesn't work, move on and maybe everyone is the wiser.

So you have been and still are in occasional communications with Genright ?

Do they know about this thread ? :laughing:

Curious if you can weld to the Currie centers for a link mount like you can on a Dana and ditch that weird cover/bolt set up, but I guess they have a crossover mount to accomplish that, was the truss link mount an option and you chose the diff cover mount ? (just asking seriously don't know)

You spent alot of money, and they have all of it, so they are are more or less, Done with your project so to speak .

Take that buggy out to farm country and find some old boy that knows what the fuck he's doing and he will fix your leaks, shit I can't even see em, and I'll guarantee I can fix em, make a better UL mount system to boot .

Hope you get everything sorted out, I can see how this could be frustrating when you paid up, things like this reinforce my trust issues, I keeps me from letting other people build or work on my shit .
I spoke with GR recently but more or less regarding their suggestion on the front coil over hoops and how they position them there in their own shop. They haven't forgotten me around that place for sure. Absolutely if I were skilled enough and had the time to do this stuff on my own I wouldn't put trust in other people. Being able to weld and work on one's own shit doesn't make them a custom fabricator (nor have I ever claimed to be one). I think the more I am considering all the issues that could have caused this issue I am skeptical with my own thoughts on the matter. However, I don't think I'm wrong with much of my frustration regarding all the BS I have been through. Your point is very valid tho that GR has the money and at that point if they don't do the work they can ultimately be finished with the situation. If I had listened to my heart I would have stuck with the Pro Rock 60's and gone with a truss on the front but ultimately I went with Andrew's suggestion to choose Currie and the diff cover design against my better judgement. Guess I didn't really consider that the install shop would foul it up so badly they would warp the cover allowing the design to fail (and at this point in no way am I convinced that is what happened, but it is possible). Certainly learning some valuable lessons here tho and why I should be more skeptical regarding this shit. I just somewhat assumed it was a proven design and I wouldn't have problems. I do believe that throwing hundred dollar bills at labor doesn't mean that labor is worth it. If done correctly and no issues then those Benjamin's are unavoidable either way for someone like myself that doesn't have the equipment to do the job. In the end this is a once in a lifetime build, I hope some things start to go more positively with it. also believe it or not I hope there is some slight vindication for GenRight because I want the design to work out given that is the setup incorporated with my build. If there is a fix that proves to hold over time and I don't have to go with a truss I will be happy in the end.

Best of luck to you .
Appreciate it man.

#46 ·
I just saw this come up again from the past and did a quick re-read.

Everyone has an opinion...…...some good some bad.Any reputable shop
can have a bad day as I've even had lower link brackets on an 8.8 TJ swap for my Sons Jeep welded on wrong by a local reputable shop...……..and I didn't notice until I had it reassembled and went to install it.They had no problem making it right on their dime.That was years ago but it happens.I have never used Genright or their products,

I have nothing personally against Currie and have not run their axles but when I went to 60's on my TJ I bought Solid's from Ohio.I like the design better and have Zero issues.It looks like Genright uses Currie exclusively and the same set-up on many of their builds.

I hope Todd gets it fixed.

#47 ·
I just saw this come up again from the past and did a quick re-read.

Everyone has an opinion...…...some good some bad.Any reputable shop

can have a bad day as I've even had lower link brackets on an 8.8 TJ swap for my Sons Jeep welded on wrong by a local reputable shop...……..and I didn't notice until I had it reassembled and went to install it.They had no problem making it right on their dime.That was years ago but it happens.I have never used Genright or their products,

I have nothing personally against Currie and have not run their axles but when I went to 60's on my TJ I bought Solid's from Ohio.I like the design better and have Zero issues.It looks like Genright uses Currie exclusively and the same set-up on many of their builds.

I hope Todd gets it fixed.

I have a buddy who has used GR on 3 heeps, YJ, LJ and a JK... they definitely push the Currie axles!!!
On the reputable part.... He’s never had any trouble with them.... He’s had buddy’s buy axles, armor, cages along with the full builds he’s done.... I’ve bought full armor through them. No problems whatsoever!!
I couldn’t imagine purchasing a product, taking it somewhere else/installing myself, then bitching about fitment or fabrication problems!!! All GR was asked was to supply a product... and sounds like the product has been proven on other builds!!!
OP...... stop Fkn around!!!! 2 years????
Fix your shit!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#48 · (Edited)
2 years and you cant pay someone fix an axle leak, yet you want to talk shit about pirate members? Drop a pair of nuts, and work on and build your own shit instead of paying people to do it and then crying about it for years. For fucks sake, you complain about a leaky front diff cover, yet haven't even made an attempt to pull the cover and inspect it? If that's too difficult for you to do yourself, maybe you could have your husband check it for you while you are in the kitchen cooking dinner.

#49 ·
Even after your cock breath comments I will allow you to tow your pos over to my house half way between where it's at your place. Bring me some carne asada tacos and a 12 pack of beer and I will fix your front diff cover leak. Anyone who has grown up working on stuff can fix the leak in an acceptable manner in an afternoon. Even if a "correct fix" is some sort of truss to eliminate the diff cover bolts.

Oh and your still a whiney bitch that should have a civic :flipoff2:

^^^ that was a legitimate offer

#51 ·
A microscope? :laughing:

Check it with a straight edge and a feeler gage.

Since something is welded to it, odds are it’s warped. If that’s the case have a machine shop surface it. Whole project including removal, surfacing, installation should take under a day.

#52 ·
Jesus titty fucking Christ.

I haven't logged into Pirate since this thread was probably new so I had to create an account just to comment on this stupidity.

If the three link mount is so terrible in your mind, go truss it and put an new cover on the thing. But considering you cant figure out why a diff cover is leaking after 2 years I don't think rocket surgery is your game.

I personally have nothing against GenRight as a company, its employees, or its products. But dammit if they don't attract the biggest fucktards as customers.

Its the same formula, fucktard wants a Jeep to rock crawl brah! Fucktard doesn't know two shits and pays a shop to do work for them. Fucktard still doesnt know two shits and complains like their problems are NASA level engineering. Fucktard bitches and whines that everyone else is the problem and why cant the world just accept their fragile delicate ego and swaddle them in silk. I swear, whenever I see a GenRight sticker I run in the opposite direction.

#54 ·
I Like the few pieces of Gen-right stuff I've been able to afford. Timed my buys around the free shipping offers...I think this thread is a testimony to the direction of the 4x4 world right now..we've got a litany of people with deep pockets that have never tured a wrench and don't own a torch, who look through web pages and see nice wheeling rigs and want in, they don't realize that any custom off road rig takes a touch of mechanical aptitude to keep healthy.

#55 ·
Wow. Just reading through this. Problem is easly fixed if it hasn't been? The cover will always get some movement with this set up. At this point the cover bolt holes are probably all wallerd out. Get Genrite/Currie to give you a new cover. Install it with new clean parts and hardware. You then need to drill holes between the cover bolts through the cover and into the housing and install press in alignment pins/dowls. Four pins should be enough. I've done this with several similar applications and had great success.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.