The Cabot Trail - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > Canada
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2015, 07:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 128472
The Cabot Trail

The other half and I are planning a trip this fall. We've landed on The Cabot Trail in NS. We'll probably spend a night in Saint John. Then continue the next day.

Like to get a couple real world experiences.

Places that are a must see?

Places to avoid?

Recommended places to stay? Probably end up getting a cap for the truck to store our stuff; but we do not plan on sleeping in the truck.

I figure one day to get there and one day to get back. Five or six days enough to spend there?

I was five years old last time I went to the border so my memory is a little hazy. I imagine bringing a firearm along is a no go? Perhaps if I tucked it in the locking console under the seat? I mean, will I end up in some Canadian Guantanamo where I'm forced to drink nothing but syrup and listen to O'Canada on repeat? I'd like to have some form of protection while on the road.

Thanks for the help.

[QUOTE]1. NEVER, EVER date a single mother.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=void_of_light;20712729]Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.[/QUOTE]
JM93LiftedYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2015, 10:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
LLY Escalade

Member # 41695
Firearms and drugs are a major no-no for border crossings. You can cross with a rifle if you are going on a hunting trip and it is declared well ahead of time but for personal defense you'll definitely be denied entry. Forget about a handgun, they are restricted here and you will not be allowed to bring one with you. Hiding it is considered smuggling and you'll likely be arrested vs just being turned around if you declare it. You'll need a passport or enhanced driver's license to cross as well.

If you've had any trouble with the law down South be honest about it. Even if it was something relatively minor years ago, they already know about it and want you to tell the truth. A DUI or serious criminal violations make you inadmissible.

I live about as far away from Nova Scotia as you can get, so I can't really help with the actual sight seeing part. I hear it is gorgeous over there though.

2003 Cadillac Escalade with LLY Duramax / ZF6 / NP241. SAS'd on 1 tons with lockers and 37s
SierraClassic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 128472
We've got the passports covered.

So no on the gun then. Damn. Just like to have someone on me while travelling. You never know.

No trouble with the law here.

Thanks for the heads up.

[QUOTE=void_of_light;20712729]Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.[/QUOTE]

Old 01-09-2015, 06:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 129765
It's been awhile since I've been up there, but have made several trips to NB/NS over the years, here are the highlights I'd suggest:

-Even thinking about taking a firearm over the border is idiotic at best. Last year they read me the riot act for bringing two bell peppers and three apples. You bring a gun and I would plan on extending your vacation by 6-12 months at least.
-Stop by Hopewell rocks on the way too/from. Very cool, worth the visit.
-The ride around the Cabot Trail is spectacular. Back in the day there were a bunch of logging roads on interior of the island you could cruise around on. Not wheeling, but very cool. Some good wildlife watching. That was 12 years ago, though. Get out of the truck and walk around.
-It is about a 12 hour drive to the causeway to get onto Cape Breton from the Portsmouth area as I recall.
-Glenora Distillery (Glen Breton and The Glenora Inn & Distillery) is a must stop if you like scotch. They may still have tours, and if you have some cash they have an inn there (at least did 12 years ago) that was fantastic. It's very pricey but this is my favorite single malt scotch.
-I think Canadian authorities require that you stop at Tim Hortons at least once a day.
-The border agents headed into Canada are typically very cool. The US guys when you come back in are not so nice.
-In general my experience is that the Maritime folks are about the friendliest you can find anywhere. Being nice back will open up a ton of opportunities to see stuff only the locals know about. Sometimes we New Englanders can be assholes (add an M infront of that to be more accurate), try and buck the trend.
hydrogeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2015, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 128472
We figure leave NH and spend a night at St Johns. That's about an 8h drive. Then leave there and check out Bay of Fundy. Then make it to Cabot Trail. Google maps has the Cabot Trail as a 5-6 hour drive? Is that all? I figured it be a 2 day trip at least.

I'll be getting a cap for the truck and was going to pack a cooler with some food and whatnot. Having never crossed a border, I'm now rethinking that idea. I'm guessing bringing food over is a no-no?

We also have meds that require syringes and sharps boxes. That will be fun to explain.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 129765
Bringing food is no problem at the border. We bring a weeks worth of food with us when we head to NB for vaca. Just make sure you declare if you have fruit and veggies. If you don't declare and they check and find it (they will) they will give you a hard time. Same thing with beer/wine. You can bring a moderate amount without any issue. With your meds I'd just make sure you have your prescription with you. They won't hassle you.

Crossing the border is no big deal, just don't do any stupid. Make sure you know what is in your truck, be polite, and don't make stupid jokes about bombs, guns, etc. The guards have no sense of humor with that stuff.

Yeah, you could drive around the trail in probably a long day if you moved fast. However, there is a ton to see and do. Scenery is spectacular. The water is pretty warm compared to around here in the summer, so spending a day at a beach should be on the list.

Go on a whale watch too. I recall there being an outfit out of Pleasant Bay (Northwest corner of Cape Breton) that did trips. At that time the guy had a Zodiac with some giant Cummins diesel in it. I have never been on a cooler boat, the thing was stupid fast and he was not afraid to use it.

Have you thought about hitting Acadia on the way too/from?
hydrogeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2015, 01:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 128472
Good stuff. Thanks for the help.

Never thought of Acadia. Not sure if we'll have time. That might be a if-we-have-time-on-the-way-back dealio. This trip looks like its going to be a Tuesday - Tuesday trip. Figure three days up, on day there, and three days back. Perhaps on the way back, instead of St John going down Route 1 and checking Acadia out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in