2001 Silverado Solid Axle Swap 14FF/D60 - Page 38 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2017, 07:57 AM   #926 (permalink)

Member # 90723
Man your truck looks awesome! This thread provided the answers to so many questions I had in the planning stages of my SAS.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:16 AM   #927 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Thanks! I'm glad it helps, that's the main point of me updating this thread. I wasn't able to find a lot of the information I needed when I did my SAS so I learned a lot by doing. It would have saved me time and money having it all in one place.

Shortened 17" w/Bed, AAM 14B FF / Grizzly, Dana 60 HP / Chromos, Anti-Wrap Bar
4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
DMANbluesfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2017, 05:06 PM   #928 (permalink)

Member # 729713
Man non of the pics work lol

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
clayton.edberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 06:55 PM   #929 (permalink)

Member # 166616
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton.edberg View Post
Man non of the pics work lol

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
Yeah I was pretty bummed to see all the pics gone also. DMAN do you have a link to where all the pics are uploaded that can be browsed?

Last edited by Justdhutch; 05-02-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Justdhutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2017, 08:37 AM   #930 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Yeah, I'm sorry about that guys. I used to use Photobucket and I'd hit the bandwidth limit like 2 weeks into every month. I spent 3 or 4 hours one weekend transferring them over to Dropbox and then dropbox decided to get rid of hotlinking just a few weeks ago. I'll have to find ANOTHER solution.

With that said, I believe I can still share the folder(s) that the pictures are stored in.

Try this link and let me know if it works for you guys:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x6o6tp8rg...LDlA_l7La?dl=0

4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
Old 05-08-2017, 11:45 AM   #931 (permalink)

Member # 129055
I've used postimage.org for several years now with no problems.
mccustomize is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2017, 03:15 PM   #932 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
I like having a place that I can reference my uploaded images, but I'll check that one out.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:42 AM   #933 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Test hosting image (also, new shop/workbench):

Let me know if you guys can see these images! They work for me.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:49 AM   #934 (permalink)
cda

Member # 429730
Looks good to me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2017, 09:57 AM   #935 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Now I just have to go through every single image in my build thread and update them...

Old 05-10-2017, 08:27 PM   #936 (permalink)

Member # 289786
I see the pictures. Luckily I found what I needed on your dropbox. What was the issue with dropbox?
Grohe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2017, 08:25 AM   #937 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grohe View Post
I see the pictures. Luckily I found what I needed on your dropbox. What was the issue with dropbox?
They changed their public folder settings, which basically deleted all of my direct links. I just need to update them, but it has to be done individually - which will take a while.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #938 (permalink)
bobbing for fries

Member # 190574
New pics work well, I like the workbench.

Good luck with the updates.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:49 AM   #939 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Well, I haven’t done a whole lot to my truck lately except drive it and on Memorial Day I went on a wheeling trip to Flat Nasty in southern Missouri – about 7.5 hours away (more if you consider Chicago rush hour traffic )

I wasn’t sure if there would be any other full size rigs and I have owned a winch for over 2 years now, but never installed it so I finally bit the bullet in order to be able to self-recover my truck for this trip if I needed to.

So, a couple weeks before the trip, I started designing the winch mount in CAD so that it would be less frustrating to make parts from when the time came to actually fabricate. I started by modeling the Winch, then stuck it between the frame horns and radiator core support (already modeled, not pictured). Fit like it was designed to fit there – granted the bodylift helps/is necessary. I also decided to cut down the frame horns about 2” and add some flat plates – this will be helpful someday when I fabricate a brand new bumper by using them as bumper mounts.

Ran to the local steel shop and sifted through the drop pile because my stock was dwindling. I already had the piece of c-channel base (formed ¼” into a c-shape, not actual c-channel) which was scrap from some Ag implement. The ends were bent but the center was good, so I cut the good section out for my winch plate.

^Steak required for fabrication

Having a template made forming the frame’s silly contours into the winch plate a LOT easier.

And I also got to utilize my new workbench w/ extend-o vise:

Test fit after I trimmed the bumper brackets:

Mock-up:

Old 06-22-2017, 07:53 AM   #940 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Frame horns removed/replaced:

Small shop problems… I do have a set of rollers that would make the truck fully fit in the garage, but figured it wasn’t necessary for this medium sized project (and since the wheels/tires can stay on).

Braces… this thing isn’t going anywhere.

Welded (after tacking things in-place and test fitting a few times):

And the control box fits perfectly behind the grille (with some minor grille trimming). I just open the hood and reach down between the condenser and grille to attach the winch controller to the box when I use the winch.

Complete!

Old 06-22-2017, 08:04 AM   #941 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Some of you may be curious how I engage and disengage the clutch. Sure, it would be possible to painstakingly use the winch to lead out the cable, but that would be frustrating and add stress to an already stressful situation when stuck...

So I rigged up a tool and made a small hole in the bumper to assist me. It's basically a socket cut that grabs onto the clutch handle and turns it. Add an extension and a ratchet (eventually I'll fab up a t-handle) and it works great! Here's a not great picutre of it:

So that's pretty much it for the winch fabrication. I had a few things on my to-do list that I had to take care of last-minute. I have owned a 1410 slip yoke for over a year now and finally bit the bullet to get rid of the 1350 slip yoke with 1350/1410 conversion u-joint. Now the entire rear driveline is 1410. Eventually I'll focus on the front drive shaft and getting it to be entirely 1350 or 1410, but time will bring that upgrade.

The drag link ends also needed replaced (thank you amazon prime same-day shipping!), which was simple enough. However, while I was greasing everything after the drag link end replacement, I noticed that there was some play in one of my front axle shaft u-joints. Not wanting to KO a set of axle shafts due to negligence - the night before I left, I had the truck in pieces and scrambled to different NAPAs to get two 1480 u-joints. Both ended up being SKF greasable, which isn't ideal, but I couldn't find any Spicer life maintenance free (more solid trunion, better seals) u-joints on short notice so they will have to do.

These would not have lasted long... I guess a long Chicago winter didn't help.

So for the new ones, I tacked the caps - because why not? I don't have full circle clips on these, so I figured anything to benefit me otherwise would be helpful. Only did two tacks so they could fit in and out of the knuckle without touching.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:13 AM   #942 (permalink)

Member # 129055
Pictures aren't working, just FYI
mccustomize is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #943 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Even on the new posts? They work for me... hmmm.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #944 (permalink)

Member # 289786
Thanks for the post. Work has been taking a toll on my motivation for sure. Need to get back in action. Finalizing some plans on getting my timeline back in order.

P.S. new pictures work for me.
Grohe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2017, 03:58 PM   #945 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
And now onto the trip report... My parents live in St. Louis, so I was fortunate to be able to break up the drive down into two parts - 5 hours and 2.5 hours.

There was bad weather on the horizon – I’d originally planned on getting there much earlier in the day but some of the people going on the trip had delays so I took my time getting down there. I met up with my buddy Mike who has a Light Blue 94 Chevy with a D44 under the front. Having a stock TBI I think has helped save that axle, though he did grenade the spider gears and now it’s welded up front. He added Hydro Assist since the last trip and it seems to work great. Anyway, he trailered his rig there. I digress… as we were driving through Salem, MO, it started to pour down rain and hail HARD – heaviest storm I’ve ever experienced while driving. Some of the hail pieces were the size of golf balls. Only two noticeable dents were created on two different vehicles – not sure how that was possible because some of the hail pieces that hit the windshield scared me so much I thought the windshield had cracked. It was nuts. It turns out, we missed a tornado going through this town by about 10-15 minutes. I’m glad we didn’t stop driving due to the hail. BrayD was meeting us there a bit later and he said the down had significant damage as he tried to drive through, but was unable to due to downed trees and/or power lines on the road so he found another route. Here are some pictures of the storm:

Before Bray arrived and after getting our campsite set up @ Top Knot, Mike and I decided to hit some trails.

Trail 10: Attempting to keep it ‘easy’ and learn the park, we decided on a yellow trail that was short. It wouldn’t have been too difficult, except another wave of the storm came through. No hail this time, but crazy heavy rain and the clouds were so heavy it was like driving at night. That, paired with the slippery conditions and Mike slid off the trail trying to make a 5-point turn around some tight trees. Long story short, I’m glad I brought my waterproof raincoat as it got thorough use trying to spot him out of that bad spot for 15 minutes. Of course the second he got back on the trail and I hopped back into my truck, the rain stopped.

Trail 6: After trail 4, we took the connector back to the fire road and decided that a green trail would be a confidence booster. 6 was very easy and simple and it only rained and got dark for 10 minutes of the trail or so. When we got to the end, the clouds cleared up for a bit and we had the confidence to try a yellow trail again.

Trail 4: This is probably my favorite trail of the entire weekend - favorite yellow trail, at the very least. It’s a wide, dry creek bed (even after all the rain, it was dry) with medium and large rocks scattered throughout. Starting on the south side made us think it would be a cakewalk. It wasn’t impossible, but if you didn’t choose the right lines over certain obstacles, it was difficult. We made it 95% of the way through the trail before Mike got high centered between the frame and driveshaft on a rock. We hastily tried to get him off the rock and ultimately ended up grenading his rear driveshaft. Bray arrived as we just got him off the rock in front wheel drive with a strap from my truck.

---more to come---

Old 06-22-2017, 04:03 PM   #946 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
More from Trail 4:

Camp: It was starting to get late and raining more consistently at this point so we headed back to camp, set up a canopy, and hung out until bedtime. The next day brought insanely good weather. Mid-to-high 70s, slight breeze and mostly sunny. Mike and his wife stuck around and rode with Bray and I.

Trail 21: Bray wanted to do trail 4, especially after I spoke so highly of it. As we made our way around the fire road, we decided to try trail 21 since it would be short enough to back down if it were impossible. It wasn’t – Bray walked up it like it was nothing and I was able to make it up after some careful readjustment of my line and application of the skinny pedal. We looped back around to the north side of trail 4.

Trail 4: Not wanting to do the exact same trail, we did it in reverse which brought it’s own challenges. The only noteworthy obstacle is Bray getting high centered right on his transfer case (different obstacle than the previous day). Not wanting a repeat from the day before, we spent a lot more time jacking up each of his tires and placing rocks under to get the whole truck off the sharp rock before winching him back. We were successful and got him down the obstacle another way.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:09 PM   #947 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
More from trail 4 again:

Trail 15: We looped back to the campground area where trail 4 starts and eyed trail 15. I walked it to make sure there weren’t any hidden crazy obstacles at the top that would cause me to have to back down and there weren’t. However, mid-way up the steepest part, my tire slide off a rock sideways and the rock ended up in the spokes of the wheel. Not wanting to crack a wheel we ended up running the winch cable through a snatch block at my 11 o’clock to one at my 8 o’clock and to a strap wrapped around the boulder. This pulled the rock away from my wheel as I also pulled forward up the hill. It took a few tries, but we got me up. The trail was deceivingly harder than it looked because there was all sorts of loose gravel/silt covering the dirt. Had to pull cable once more to get over another obstacle, but otherwise made it up the trail – again with liberal application of throttle.

I’m not going to go into too much detail on the rest of the trails we ran, but we did trail 5 (partial), 7, 8, 12, 18, 20 (black) and Airplane Hill. Airplane hill was pretty narrow so I got some new 3d pinstripes on my bed, but at this point they are barely noticeable on the truck The topper managed to survive another trip – I only leaned it against two trees, IIRC.

Airplane Hill, I believe:

We also explored the waterfalls. Papa bear (left) is also deceivingly difficult because there’s a ~20” deep puddle right in front of it. Neither bray nor I could even get our front tires up the waterfall. Bray was able to get mostly up Mamma Bearr (middle), but chose to winch up it so as not to damage anything (I believe he broke an axle shaft on Baby Bear the last visit to Flat Nasty). Both of us were able to get up Baby Bear (right), which was pretty cool. Video will come soon.

We camped one more night and had a lazy morning, taking our time packing up. Bray stuck around to do all of Trail 5 and Mike and I packed up and headed home. It was a very pleasant 7 hours back to Chicago for me – the weather was great and traffic wasn’t too bad.

One more of the crazy storm we hit on the way there:

Old 06-22-2017, 04:19 PM   #948 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Takeaways from the trip:
  • No major breakage, which is always a good thing.
  • The winch performed excellently and having the bed drawers made trail repairs and winching a lot less of a headache. I would love to get some synthetic line for the winch in the near future, but...
  • I still need a damn front locker, so all my money will be saved towards one of those.
  • It would also be nice to have a skid plate after seeing Bray's truck sitting on the transfer case. I have the tiny factory one... but it's not substantial.
  • A shorter wheelbase would also be nice... I may start looking into trying to find a 5'8" bed now that mccustomize figured out how to stick a fuel tank behind the axle, under the bed. I'll probably try and stay at 5'8" bed even if I cut mine down, just so I can still run a topper. 10" less wheelbase would be significant.
  • I need new body mounts. They're falling apart; especially the ones right under the driver that get drug back and forth over rocks.
  • I need to notch the frame for my drag link as well. I think the bump stops softened up and I'm getting more uptravel and it's hitting the frame now.

Also, park map, for the lazy:

Old 06-22-2017, 04:55 PM   #949 (permalink)

Member # 232666
Nice job on the winch plate. I'll have to do something similar since I've had my winch a year now lol.
The trip pics look great.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:11 AM   #950 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingfire View Post
Nice job on the winch plate. I'll have to do something similar since I've had my winch a year now lol.
The trip pics look great.
Thanks. Not having a bodylift will make fitting it directly under the radiator a bit more difficult, I'm guessing - but you could always let it sit below the frame a couple of inches to make it fit, still.

And here's the only video I have from the weekend, me climbing Baby Bear.

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 06-23-2017 at 07:11 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in