2001 Silverado Solid Axle Swap 14FF/D60 - Page 46 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2018, 03:53 PM   #1126 (permalink)
why i am here?

Member # 41146
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMANbluesfreak View Post
Let me know when you do make it out there. Maybe I'll be able to meet you so you can do some fullsize wheeling

And I feel you on the cage. I will definitely be installing it, I'm just taking a breather after all the work the wheelbase chop was. I know the cage will not be a breeze to install, even if it is pre-bent.

fullsize wheeling would be awesome. even if my blazer is in any condition to take out there, it would cost a mint just to tow it out with the 8.1 so when i go, i'll most likely just rent something. Doubt even driving my truck out there will take me where i want to go. Just a bone stock 05 2500HD.

but already planning it, 3 years from now, 2021. wanted to go all my life, put this trip off many times before due to various reasons. no happening this time. i'll go no matter what lol. planning something very similar to what you just did. visit colorado some as i drive through, then hit up moab and southern Utah while i am out there. Never been west of the mississippi, gotta make the most of it.
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2018, 04:03 PM   #1127 (permalink)
cda
Wheeler

Member # 429730
Nice!! Love the trip report. Sounds like the truck performed well aside from PM issues. I can't wait to go back out that way, now that I've done it I think I could do less time wrenching after learning the terrain a bit. The cage is a good idea, so I'll third or fourth getting that in, especially out there where the name of the game is slow and right on your limit sometimes haha.

I had some other fullish size guys going up Moab Rim with us. We did a sunset run going up so we could look over Moab at night all lit up. Doing all those obstacles downhill at night was pretty tough on morale for some the people with me. It's real weird when everything is pitch black and there's no horizon to use for reference hahahaha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2018, 07:32 AM   #1128 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post
fullsize wheeling would be awesome. even if my blazer is in any condition to take out there, it would cost a mint just to tow it out with the 8.1 so when i go, i'll most likely just rent something. Doubt even driving my truck out there will take me where i want to go. Just a bone stock 05 2500HD.

but already planning it, 3 years from now, 2021. wanted to go all my life, put this trip off many times before due to various reasons. no happening this time. i'll go no matter what lol. planning something very similar to what you just did. visit colorado some as i drive through, then hit up moab and southern Utah while i am out there. Never been west of the mississippi, gotta make the most of it.
When I said I'd meet you, I meant you could ride with me if we're able to go at the same time.

That said, there's a million Jeep rental places out there and if you hit up Xtreme 4x4 tours and talk to Dave, he can probably take you out on some of the more difficult trails during one of his tours for a good price. I met him when I was in Moab - very stand up guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cda View Post
Nice!! Love the trip report. Sounds like the truck performed well aside from PM issues. I can't wait to go back out that way, now that I've done it I think I could do less time wrenching after learning the terrain a bit. The cage is a good idea, so I'll third or fourth getting that in, especially out there where the name of the game is slow and right on your limit sometimes haha.

I had some other fullish size guys going up Moab Rim with us. We did a sunset run going up so we could look over Moab at night all lit up. Doing all those obstacles downhill at night was pretty tough on morale for some the people with me. It's real weird when everything is pitch black and there's no horizon to use for reference hahahaha
Moab rim down at night sounds terrifying! I've only done night wheeling a couple times but it was never anything super technical so it wasn't difficult. I can't imagine a trail like that at night, even with good rock lighting.

Shortened 17" w/Bed, AAM 14B FF / Grizzly, Dana 60 HP / Chromos, Anti-Wrap Bar
4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
DMANbluesfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 07:44 AM   #1129 (permalink)

Member # 212988
Are you still running the mechanical fan? If so a 34" radiator without adding the e-fans would be a big upgrade.
HankScorpi0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2018, 08:13 AM   #1130 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Im running a Flex-A-Lite dual e-fan setup that has two 13.5 staggered fans with the factory 28 radiator.

https://www.flex-a-lite.com/direct-f...ator-core.html

The 34 radiator uses two large fans side-by-side which I assume are around 16 in diameter. Fan area alone would be increased by 40% going with the 34 setup, but thats not directly correlated with CFM or cooling the cooling could be even better than a 40% improvement.

4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
Old 07-25-2018, 09:09 AM   #1131 (permalink)

Member # 289786
Loving all the pics!

Quote:
Having the brake rotor be floating on the hub made it a lot easier because the whole spindle and hub can come off in one piece so I didn’t have to deal with retorquing and packing the wheel bearings.
NEVER even thought of that!!

Would make installing a Spartan locker even that much easier. Although i'll probably repack the bearings anyways just for peace of mind.

Quote:
I’m running a Flex-A-Lite dual e-fan setup that has two 13.5” staggered fans with the factory 28” radiator.

The 34” radiator uses two large fans side-by-side which I assume are around 16” in diameter. Fan area alone would be increased by 40% going with the 34” setup, but that’s not directly correlated with CFM or cooling – the cooling could be even better than a 40% improvement.
Just replaced my fan clutch, and it sounds like a semi truck is taking off every time I accelerate now. Guess that is just how worn it was before. A/C stays nice and cool though now on hot days!!

Curious to see how this works out for you though, as I'm still interested in EFAN swap in the near future and upgrading to 34" radiator is a consideration as well.

That Flex-a-lite fan sure ain't cheap though.

Last edited by Grohe; 07-25-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Grohe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2018, 09:49 AM   #1132 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grohe View Post
Loving all the pics!

Would make installing a Spartan locker even that much easier. Although i'll probably repack the bearings anyways just for peace of mind.
Yeah I'm glad Chris Paul mentioned that to me otherwise I may not have realized haha.

Are you for sure sticking a Spartan in your truck? I'm curious to see how it performs!

Quote:

Just replaced my fan clutch, and it sounds like a semi truck is taking off every time I accelerate now. Guess that is just how worn it was before. A/C stays nice and cool though now on hot days!!

Curious to see how this works out for you though, as I'm still interested in EFAN swap in the near future and upgrading to 34" radiator is a consideration as well.

There's something to be said about a mechanical fan working well. For me, the 3" bodylift meant it wasn't as effective as it should have been and when my fan clutch seized up, I decided to upgrade. I got a really good deal on my e-fans because they were refurbished.

I do love my e-fans and they generally work pretty well, but honestly you can probably do the GM conversion much cheaper in hindsight if you're patient and wait for a truck to show up in a junkyard. It should also perform better than the Flex-A-Lite kit. When I upgrade, I'll probably try and re-use my Flex-A-Lite fan controller (if it can tolerate the higher current draw) rather than getting the ECM reprogrammed to control the fans - but solely to try and save some money.

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 07-25-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:22 AM   #1133 (permalink)

Member # 129055
Quote:
Loving all the pics!

both my trucks are Efan swapped, one using LS1 fans with the 28" radiator, blue truck using truck fans and the 34" radiator

I would never go back to a clutch fan, at low speed idling the electric fans move so much more air, AC is way colder in traffic and at stop lights now, and the throttle response is better not having that drag on it. I also have a small pusher fan on the blue truck in front of the huge trans cooler as well.

The swap is really easy, go ahead and have the fans turned on in the tune and then when you do the swap it's super easy, takes about an hour complete.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:27 AM   #1134 (permalink)

Member # 289786
Quote:
Im running a Flex-A-Lite dual e-fan setup that has two 13.5 staggered fans with the factory 28 radiator.

The 34 radiator uses two large fans side-by-side which I assume are around 16 in diameter. Fan area alone would be increased by 40% going with the 34 setup, but thats not directly correlated with CFM or cooling the cooling could be even better than a 40% improvement.
Quote:
Yeah I'm glad Chris Paul mentioned that to me otherwise I may not have realized haha.

Are you for sure sticking a Spartan in your truck? I'm curious to see how it performs!

There's something to be said about a mechanical fan working well. For me, the 3" bodylift meant it wasn't as effective as it should have been and when my fan clutch seized up, I decided to upgrade. I got a really good deal on my e-fans because they were refurbished.

I do love my e-fans and they generally work pretty well, but honestly you can probably do the GM conversion much cheaper in hindsight if you're patient and wait for a truck to show up in a junkyard. It should also perform better than the Flex-A-Lite kit. When I upgrade, I'll probably try and re-use my Flex-A-Lite fan controller (if it can tolerate the higher current draw) rather than getting the ECM reprogrammed to control the fans - but solely to try and save some money.
Going with Spartan just due to cost and ease of install/uninstall. Mark ran one for awhile, and his only complaint was lack of select ability which is why he eventually went ARB. But overall he said better to have a Spartan for awhile until ARB/OX is an option, than to have nothing at all.
Grohe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #1135 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Going with Spartan just due to cost and ease of install/uninstall. Mark ran one for awhile, and his only complaint was lack of select ability which is why he eventually went ARB. But overall he said better to have a Spartan for awhile until ARB/OX is an option, than to have nothing at all.
And based on my experience, better to have a Spartan than welded.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:02 PM   #1136 (permalink)
why i am here?

Member # 41146
Quote:
When I said I'd meet you, I meant you could ride with me if we're able to go at the same time.

That said, there's a million Jeep rental places out there and if you hit up Xtreme 4x4 tours and talk to Dave, he can probably take you out on some of the more difficult trails during one of his tours for a good price. I met him when I was in Moab - very stand up guy.

I assumed that is what you meant. my response was poorly written. I'd love to tag along with you if it could work out that way. But that said, i want to wheel myself out there. nothing like driving than just riding along. Who knows, i may end up building a more streetable rig to take out there in 3 years.

I really appreciate the offer and i'll let you know when we start getting into the details of planning it out and hope something could work out.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:04 PM   #1137 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Sounds good. I'm not even sure at this point if it's in the cards, but hey you never know!

Also, sticking a solid front axle under your 05 wouldn't be too bad. Just sayin

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 07-25-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:52 AM   #1138 (permalink)

Member # 182743
Grohe and dman, I have a spartan in the front of my truck. You saw how well it did for me at Attica. If I ever put hydro assist on, itll be that much better. No plans to change it currently.
_Stucky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2018, 07:20 AM   #1139 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
The ship has sailed for me to run a Spartan or any lunchbox since the spider gears are now welded to the carrier. If I ever swap carriers moving forward, it'll be getting a selectable locker.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:33 AM   #1140 (permalink)
cda
Wheeler

Member # 429730
Quote:
I've got a racheting locker up front. Love it. Locked when I need it, as soon as I drop the front output into neutral it acts like an open diff. Having a selectable rear locker made all the difference for me though, much more manageable with the rear unlocked. I did have some really aggressive racheting in Moab but i chalked it up to high traction and light/medium crosspin load unloading. Didn't make winter driving tooooo different but MT's on the road in snow arent exactly a gold standard to do a comparison on.

#ninjaedit:ship has sailed, arb's for everyone!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cda; 07-26-2018 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:40 AM   #1141 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Ship hasn't sailed for @Grohe.

I love my Grizzly in the rear. Granted, I think ratcheting lunchbox lockers that rely on crosspin pressure to engage operate differently than your run of the mill Detroit. Mine unlocks way more frequently and I almost never hear the rear tires chirp until I really get into the gas or lift a tire off the ground. It sounds like (and logically it makes sense) that a lunchbox engages the second there's any forward or backward torque on the carrier.

When I go selectable, I'll likely go with an OX. I like that you can manually override the engagement method if it fails and force the locker into spool mode with a setscrew.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:38 PM   #1142 (permalink)
why i am here?

Member # 41146
Quote:
Sounds good. I'm not even sure at this point if it's in the cards, but hey you never know!

Also, sticking a solid front axle under your 05 wouldn't be too bad. Just sayin
The thought to take the D60 out from under the blazer and stuff it under the 05 May have crossed my mind once or twice.

but got the LS wagon project in the works currently.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:47 PM   #1143 (permalink)
cda
Wheeler

Member # 429730
Quote:
It sounds like (and logically it makes sense) that a lunchbox engages the second there's any forward or backward torque on the carrier.
For-sure, one of the fun thing's I've learned is with my extra heavy front driveshaft, the load of spinning the driveshaft can very lightly load the cross pin, which can hang the rachet firmly together until it disengages under load.

Now THAT'S a loud racheting pop scared the shit out of me the first time it happened.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:01 AM   #1144 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
My Grizzly does it every once in a while when it gets slightly loaded (sometimes when slowing down) and then gets disengaged under load (when I take back off). It's definitely unnerving since it happens so occasionally, but it's the nature of ratcheting lockers I guess.

No major updates... I changed the oil last night? And started on shortening up the bed platform so I can work on a better camping setup for organizing the bed. I'll be trying it out this coming weekend, going camping up in Wisconsin.

It's been nice to just drive the truck and not have major projects to accomplish for a while. The biggest change will be a 2"x2.5"x8" lift block I just built to level the truck out since I went from 4 rear leaves to 3 during the wheelbase chop. The ride is perfect, but the ass end was just about 1-3/4" lower than the front loaded down with the spare and a full tank of fuel, so this block will fit perfectly. I'll be bolting it into the spring pack, too - so I guess it's more of an add-a-leaf.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:59 AM   #1145 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
I keep forgetting to update the photos which aren't showing up. It's hard to know which ones aren't since they all show up for me.

In the meantime, I leveled the truck. Grabbed some drops of solid aluminum at the metal shop, cut them to length and ground a nice round edge on the top after drilling the holes for the spring pin. It's a zero-rate, since it bolts into the spring pack.

Originally the truck sat about 1-5/8" lower in the rear (1-1/2" on one side and 1-3/4" on the other). The drop piece of aluminum was 1-7/8" thick, so it's now about 1/4" taller in the rear which is fine by me.

Also addressed a spun stud whilst rotating the tires. Lo and behold, the weird high frequency vibe went away after rotating... so it was the tires. Go figure.

Leveled:

I even had time to shorten the bed platform. While I won't be able to sleep in the bed of the truck like this, it's still nice to have a fully flat surface to stack containers on and this gives me a lot of flexibility for adding tie-downs for things. Proper bed organization system to follow!

Old 08-02-2018, 08:25 AM   #1146 (permalink)

Member # 42940
For the posts that are missing pics, at least for me:
last two pics in post 1113

the whole post for 1115

first two pics in 1116

The rest are awesome. I was finally able to make it to Moab this year, in May. Absolutely awesome place.
TeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2018, 11:57 AM   #1147 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
I didn't have time to update all of them, but let me know if what I did fixed 1113. If so, I'll do the rest the same way.

Thanks!

Old 08-03-2018, 08:18 AM   #1148 (permalink)

Member # 42940
Quote:
I didn't have time to update all of them, but let me know if what I did fixed 1113. If so, I'll do the rest the same way.

Thanks!
1113 is fixed, I understand about time. haha, I could always use more
Old 08-06-2018, 11:53 AM   #1149 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeXJ View Post
For the posts that are missing pics, at least for me:
last two pics in post 1113

the whole post for 1115

first two pics in 1116

The rest are awesome. I was finally able to make it to Moab this year, in May. Absolutely awesome place.
Got all the links updated!

Old 08-06-2018, 12:00 PM   #1150 (permalink)

Member # 42940
Quote:
Got all the links updated!

great pics man! Makes me want to go back!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in