2001 Silverado Solid Axle Swap 14FF/D60 - Page 48 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2018, 07:13 PM   #1176 (permalink)

Member # 681929
I have a set on an 5.3 to swap and they are much more robust than stock. I think they are rated for more flow but maybe not worth the $$ if yours work.

I like a little bling sometimes.
FBJR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2018, 07:49 AM   #1177 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Bling is fine. I'd rather spend my money on something else since the stockers are working fine, though. Not to mention I'd have to redo the flange for the downpipes since the collectors are slightly different. Also, I don't think "robustness" over stock is going to gain me anything. That coating won't prevent threads seizing over 170k miles in salty conditions.

Shortened 17" w/Bed, AAM 14B FF / Grizzly, Dana 60 HP / Chromos, Anti-Wrap Bar
4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
DMANbluesfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2018, 10:30 AM   #1178 (permalink)

Member # 681929
Sounds sound to me, just a thought.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #1179 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
I definitely appreciate the input. If I ever crack one, those Hooker ones seem to be priced well.

4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
Old 11-26-2018, 02:10 PM   #1180 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Frame notch action shots

Second hole to the top right of the notch was there already for one of the IFS diff support bushings.

Exhaust (I’m going to try and make you all feel my pain haha):

I probably climbed under and out from under the truck 65-75 times to try and make that compound squiggle after the collector fit. ‘Twasn’t fun, but now it ought to clear the driveshaft (driveshaft pictured at full-bump and then another Ĺ” up or so). Even if it does still kiss it, it won’t touch the rubber boot on the driveshaft. Downside is that the driver’s side downpipe needs to come off to remove the trans pan I’m pretty sure. Oh well, that’s fairly rare. I might wrap the crossover part of the tube in header wrap when it gets warmer too.

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 11-26-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:21 PM   #1181 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
All the nuts welded on to various bolts to try and break them loose (most were for the broken stud in the collector before I removed the entire manifold).

New boot on driveshaft, exhaust fully welded, ride height. Ignore my booger welds. Only had .035” stainless wire and it doesn’t weld thin wall tubing very well without blowing through unless there’s ZERO gap. Typically I use .024” wire on exhaust if I can and it’s more forgiving.

Finished Saturday at 2am. Didn’t want to wake the neighbors with the sounds of an impact by putting the 40s on, so I did it the next morning in the rain at ~32įF. That was fun… Then it Blizzarded last night so I had a little fun on the way to work today. No more exhaust leaks and the penetrating oil is finally burnt off the manifolds and collectors haha.

Oh yeah… and the new rear driveshaft. .134” wall thick tube (vs the factory ford .083” wall). Smooth as butter. I kept the old one as a get-me-home/trail spare since it doesn’t vibrate and I know where to apply some hose clamps to the intermediate shaft to make it vibe-free if I need to.

Heading to Flat Nasty on Friday and meeting a bunch of guys with different rigs (ranging from a 4WS Cummins on Rockwells/47s to a Toyota FJ on 33s), should be a good time this weekend. Cannot wait for Friday to come and hit the road.

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 11-26-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:09 AM   #1182 (permalink)

Member # 129055
I despise exhaust work too, I guess that's why I pulled my cab off this time

I'm jelly you are actually wheeling and finding small fixes for the truck now, it's coming together nicely.

PS...what is that white stuff all over everything!
Old 11-27-2018, 07:59 AM   #1183 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
This particular white stuff is devilish. Super heavy snow, took me forever to shovel the driveway and sidewalk yesterday morning to get my fiancee's car out. Also I didn't want it turning into a skating rink if I drove over it with my truck.

I digress. Exhaust work is love and hate. I definitely don't have the right tools (pipe bender, vehicle lift, tri-mix gas/TIG), so I think that's a big part of it. When I'm done - if it turns out how I wanted - I'm pretty proud of it. Since I spent the frustration and extra coin doing it from stainless so it should last me at least 5-10 years if I don't end up redoing it before then

None of this will get done before this weekend's trip, but here's my future task list. It's surprisingly small since I've been hammering out a bunch of little stuff here and there:

0) (First thing to dig into after this weekend's trip) I still need to figure out the weird high frequency vibration that exists turning right between ~70-78mph. It hasn't gotten worse over the last 6000 miles (including long stints to-and-from Moab, but it does still bother me. Refresh: New front wheel bearings, completely refreshed front steering components, rotating the tires, and even a new rear driveshaft made no difference. Leaning towards bad rear wheel bearing(s) now.

1) I think the next major step is getting the full belly skids done. I've already got them designed, but I'm waiting for our plotter at work to be fixed so I can print out 1:1 templates and make sure it all matches up with what I designed in CAD before I drop hundreds of dollars getting them CNC cut.

2) Quicker project: sway bar since I've owned the damn WFO prototype sway bar for almost 4 years and never installed it.

3) Winter project: Install roll cage. I probably won't do another wheeling trip until this is complete. I'd really like to go to EJS/FSI in Moab next year so my goal would be to get this done before that. In a perfect world, I could see getting this done in a matter of 3 weekends (since the cage I own is pre-bent and notched). Realistically, I'll budget twice that and probably still go longer haha.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:41 AM   #1184 (permalink)
cda

Member # 429730
Frame notch looks good, reminds me that I need to do mine still :/

Exhaust work is my least favorite, came out great though! Bump travel is the best travel!

My only requirement for our moab trip was to build my cage, so I feel you there. The peace of mind since it's gone in has been really nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cda; 11-27-2018 at 10:43 AM.
cda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2018, 11:56 AM   #1185 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
With some of the obstacles I saw videos of you on, I can imagine the cage gave some confidence. I wouldn't have touched some of those without a cage.

I'm also pretty happy with the exhaust. Ton of work, but if it turns out the way you expected, there's definitely a sense of pride associated with it.

The sad part about the frame notch job is that I didn't future protect for high steer (intentionally) so I'll eventually have to cut it all back out and make a bigger notch in the future.

But that's a bigger project. The reason I decided to wait was so that I could plate the frame since the notch would be bigger. I also wasn't sure exactly where the drag link would end up since I also need to move the steering box forward to properly run high steer. I think this notch is small enough (and I used 3/8" material) so it didn't need additional plating/bracing.

Anyway... I needed the notch bad. This'll do in the meantime - it wasn't so much work I'm salty about having to eventually redo it. Not that salty anyway

Old 11-27-2018, 04:54 PM   #1186 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 19675
Send a message via AIM to joez Send a message via Yahoo to joez
FINALLY made it through this thread start to finish. Awesome job documenting everything! Was great wheeling with you guys, and definitely am looking forward to doing it again.

I don't envy you on the exhaust work, that is going to be my next project. I finished mine off at Flat Nasty last week, and am dreading making another exhaust for it. It is hands down my least favorite of all projects.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:02 PM   #1187 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Originally Posted by joez View Post
FINALLY made it through this thread start to finish. Awesome job documenting everything! Was great wheeling with you guys, and definitely am looking forward to doing it again.

I don't envy you on the exhaust work, that is going to be my next project. I finished mine off at Flat Nasty last week, and am dreading making another exhaust for it. It is hands down my least favorite of all projects.
Thanks man, can't wait to wheel with you again as well.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates exhaust work haha. Give me a holler if you need a hand some weekend.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:10 PM   #1188 (permalink)

Member # 681929
I really don't mind exhaust work. Kinda cool getting it just right vs the hacks you see sometimes. Heck, I had midas put flowmasters on my ol 77 once. They only welded the bottom of the whole thing, so I finished it.

Even built a set of SBC headers once. Doubt I will do that again!
Old 11-28-2018, 07:28 AM   #1189 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
I think with the right tools (TIG, exhaust bender, proper saw and fixtures), it'd be a lot more enjoyable. Using a sawsall, angle grinder, and belt sander (thank god for the latter) makes making repeatable and expected cuts difficult at best. Hence the love for the belt sander to make minor adjustments.

Anyway, I have noticed that I now have a slight harmonic vibration at idle in gear. This is always a risk when dealing with a y-pipe that has unsupported downpipes around 4 feet long. It's not unbearable, but I may try adding some sort of dampening or some structure to the outside of the pipes in the not-so-near future. Maybe even some addition of strain with the sledge would do the trick . The issue is that I don't really know what the cause is, so adding material or bracing is a shot in the dark. Since it's really only a minor annoyance, the urgency is very low, fortunately.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:43 AM   #1190 (permalink)

Member # 129055

You could always try a vibration dampner on the exhaust, I see them on many new OEMs since the NVH is even more critical at these price points.

Last edited by mccustomize; 11-28-2018 at 08:44 AM.
mccustomize is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2018, 08:47 AM   #1191 (permalink)

Member # 129055
Also, just a picture of the size notch I needed, and at full bump my tires get into my core support mounts, that are raised 1", it's nearly impossible to go any more "stuffed" than I've got it without major major surgery.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:55 AM   #1192 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Good to know. It's possible the height I cut into the frame is acceptable, but I know for a fact that I'll need to make the notch longer (propogate it forward) to accommodate both the drag link and high steer tie rod.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:13 PM   #1193 (permalink)

Member # 289786
Thinking I made my notch plenty bigger than it needed to be.

Also as an FYI, I couldn't notch my frame at all for the tie rod, as the bottom of my frame is level with bottom oil pan, so it would've been pointless (clearance-ing frame would equal tie rod smashing oil pan).

Last edited by Grohe; 11-28-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Grohe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2018, 03:02 PM   #1194 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
I'm running the F-body pan which has a bit more clearance, mind you.

But you might be right still that the notch is only necessary for the tie rod.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:28 PM   #1195 (permalink)

Member # 681929
Nice welding!!

I like ox/act when I weld exhaust normally. Kinds like tig as you pool and move.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:43 AM   #1196 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Not pictured, I added another spring clamp to the front spring to help control front axle wrap a bit better. It didnít eliminate it, but it certainly does prevent the axle from wrapping a whole lot, which hopefully will save a driveshaft u-joint in the future. Anyway, I knocked this one out Thursday night and loaded up before I left for Flat Nasty on Friday.

Got stuck at work until after noon, but still made it to Flat Nasty by 9pm, even stopping in St. Louis for an hour to have dinner with my family.

Had a really good group of people show up. For some it was a shakedown, for others it was a veteran trip and there was every level of experience in between. All of the rigs were extremely capable and varied, which was really interesting to see what type of rig excelled on certain obstacles. This is only ~half the group.

5.3L, 4L65, D60, AAM 11.5, 40s, locked, HEAVY foot. Gnarly rig and driver, only broke a rear driveshaft after smashing it on a rock Ė he welded it back up and beat on it some more.

More pics of my rig and a trail report to follow later today.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:50 AM   #1197 (permalink)

Member # 232666
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMANbluesfreak View Post
Not pictured, I added another spring clamp to the front spring to help control front axle wrap a bit better. It didnít eliminate it, but it certainly does prevent the axle from wrapping a whole lot, which hopefully will save a driveshaft u-joint in the future. Anyway, I knocked this one out Thursday night and loaded up before I left for Flat

Got stuck at work until after noon, but still made it to Flat Nasty by 9pm, even stopping in St. Louis for an hour to have dinner with my family.

Had a really good group of people show up. For some it was a shakedown, for others it was a veteran trip and there was every level of experience in between. All of the rigs were extremely capable and varied, which was really interesting to see what type of rig excelled on certain obstacles. This is only ~half the group.

More pics of my rig and a trail report to follow later today.
This one, more info on this one. I'm going to be getting into this realm of rig when i start building next year.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:16 AM   #1198 (permalink)

Member # 681929
I don't know, the square body 4dr with a short bed is nice. Bring the family!
Old 12-05-2018, 11:49 AM   #1199 (permalink)

Member # 101407
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingfire View Post
This one, more info on this one. I'm going to be getting into this realm of rig when i start building next year.
The Dodge on LTB's? Its an old Top Truck rig, forget teh year exactly.
Elvis38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #1200 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
2002 Dodge Ram Cummins Brad Pellett - Top Truck Challenge 2006 - Four Wheeler Magazine

The new owner has added Chromoly Axle shafts and a few other goodies. It's a rig that really works despite it's weight/bias.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in