2001 Silverado Solid Axle Swap 14FF/D60 - Page 53 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2019, 10:35 AM   #1301 (permalink)
cda

Member # 429730
Most jealous! Glad almost everything went smoothly for you. Truck looks awesome out and about

Public shaming incoming:
following up on the conversation we had before you left...... PAD THAT CAGE!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #1302 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bones View Post
Jealous! That looks like an awesome trip!

And the cage looks great as well, nice work
Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cda View Post
Most jealous! Glad almost everything went smoothly for you. Truck looks awesome out and about

Public shaming incoming:
following up on the conversation we had before you left...... PAD THAT CAGE!
I did before I hit the trails!!! I just didn't get pics of it. I would definitely have knocked my noggin pretty hard a couple of times without the padding.

Shortened 17" w/Bed, AAM 14B FF / Grizzly, Dana 60 HP / Chromos, Anti-Wrap Bar
4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
DMANbluesfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2019, 11:18 AM   #1303 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Day 2 started off a bit rockyÖ and not in the good way. There was an unofficial Hell's Revenge run planned mid-day. I ran into town to use the showers at the Aquatic Center before heading to the Vendor Show just to see whatís up. When I swung by camp to grab lunch supplies for the trail, I snagged a piece of rebar with my sidewall and ripped it WIDE open. Swapped the spare on and wheeled the rest of the week, but the out-of-round spare would be hell on the 20h drive back. Dave H at Xtreme4x4 Tours hooked me up with one of his old ones on Saturday before I left.

Before Hellís Revenge, we messed around on Potato Salad Hill some more. I tried the harder lines towards the left and was able to get up with some smart lines and skinny pedal. Hellís Revenge was pretty uneventful, the group got split up so I was able to do Hellís Gate and Escalator with a few people. Hellís gate was no problem, Escalator I took the Ďnewbí line and ended up sliding my beside and taillight into the middle step. Winched out because there was no going back to try again - not without completely mangling my bed. My nerves got the best of me and I didnít try again, but I now wish I had tried the further right line.

Potato Salad Hill:

Group shot from Hellís Revenge:

Hellís Revenge Lookout:

More beautiful scenery from Hellís Revenge:

Sunset over the La Sal Mountains back around camp.

Still trying to find videos of me climbing PSH, Escalator, and Hellís Gate. I know theyíre out there somewhere, but I canít remember who recorded them.

4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist

Old 04-23-2019, 11:54 AM   #1304 (permalink)
cda

Member # 429730
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMANbluesfreak View Post
I did before I hit the trails!!! I just didn't get pics of it. I would definitely have knocked my noggin pretty hard a couple of times without the padding.
I suppose I'll be nice then

It's a good thing my truck still is lacking an exhaust and tcase rebuild. I was super tempted to bomb out there as you were prepping to leave Looks like a blast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:17 PM   #1305 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Bomb out here to Chicago?

Old 04-23-2019, 12:29 PM   #1306 (permalink)
cda

Member # 429730
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMANbluesfreak View Post
Bomb out here to Chicago?
I mean, I would have passed Chicago on my way to Moab So yes?

Last edited by cda; 04-23-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:30 PM   #1307 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Ahhhhh gotcha. I misunderstood. Too bad! Would have been nice to have a buddy to Pritchett with. I got into town too late and missed the group who did it on Tuesday

Old 04-24-2019, 01:08 PM   #1308 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Potato Salad Hill Video. Looks like I need new rear shocks - that was a lot bouncier than I'd like.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:37 PM   #1309 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Day 3 was probably my favorite out of the three (although Day 1 was a close second).

We did “Crack and Back” which is all of Gold Bar Rim and the beginning of Golden Spike to the Golden Crack, where we then turned around. Golden Crack was a bucket list obstacle for me - even though it’s easy - so I’m glad we went the extra little bit. Some tossed around the idea of taking Rusty Nail back, but it was getting late in the day and I didn't personally want to do it in the dark.

There was also some breakage both within the group and for strangers. Someone in the group broke a pan hard mount on the axle side and I hung back with Johnny Wood and a couple others to help weld it back with his on-board welder (which I am in love with now and it is on my want-to-buy list). There were also two Jeeps that had broken drivetrain components - one needed a welded yoke. Finally, a panhard mount on the frame side of another rig started ripping out so they slapped some more melted metal onto it. The delays from this worked out because we got to do all sorts of optional lines since we’d been separated from the group. I'd have felt obligated to skip most of them with the bigger group (due to timing). Ultimately, I think this was the most fun trail day for me for that reason and the fact I enjoy helping fix rigs on the trail.

Pictures in no particular order:

Old 04-24-2019, 03:43 PM   #1310 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019

I also now want a rear winch. Johnny's truck is just outfitted with all the fancy gadgets!

Premier Power Welder also powers power tools. Here's a picture of me cutting some angle iron to fix the axle-mounted pan-hard bracket on the black ranger.

Fixed:

Shameless and gratuitious flex shot:

I think that pretty much wraps the trip up. I was going to try and Mountain Bike in Fruita, CO on my way out of town, but the swapping of tires on Saturday morning took a while longer than I expected so I drove straight through to North Platte, NE - stopping in Denver to meet someone for dinner.

Slept in the truck in NE overnight and then made the final journey back to Chicago on Sunday. No issues with the truck on the drive back, which was a relief.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:51 PM   #1311 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Takeaways:

1) The Good: The truck performed beautifully. It was super stable, had plenty of traction without being too front or rear heavy, and there was no breakage on the trail for me.

2) Front Diff: The welded front diff is a burden on the heavily slickrock-laden trails like Hell’s Revenge and Gold Bar Rim. My steering would get pretty noisy and unlocking hubs with the Yukon lockouts is tough so I couldn’t easily just unlock one. Before my next trip to Moab, I will have a selectable locker up-front. It was definitely better than being open, though, and it’s not as bad on looser midwest trails where I primarily wheel. When I do get one, I’ll install the 5.13s that I have sitting in my garage - it would help a lot on the mountain highways, too.

3) Cage: The cage was pretty damn quiet. A loud squeak developed as a piece of dash plastic rubbed through the cage paint - more trimming is required - easy fix. The cage does quietly squeak against the headliner, but it seemed to have gotten quieter over the course of the trip - hopefully it keeps trending in this direction as the headliner sort of wears in. I really like how easy it will be to mount stuff in the cab now - I already have a bunch of ideas floating around in my head after the MTB mount turned out so slick

4) Weird Clunk: I did develop a clunk noise when under heavy load (think ⅓ throttle in single-low) on Day 2 after Potato Salad Hill. I checked the anti-wrap bar bolts, lug nuts, axle shaft nuts, pinion u-joint… none of them seem to be the culprit. It also makes the noise when I brake heavily, so I don’t believe it’s internal to the axle. It never got worse on the additional trails or over the course of my 1400 mile return trip AND when I unloaded the stuff from the bed, it went away. Either it’s the jack stand that was loosely mounted in my bed or the extra weight of my cargo loaded the suspension to allow the clunk to happen. Time will tell.

5) New Tires Soon: The replacement 40 has less tread than my other 3 tires. While I think I can nurse it through this summer (maybe even through next winter), I need to start thinking about my next set of tires. I like the pro-comps, but would like to try something new unless the ProComps remain the cheapest options. The Nitto Trail Grapplers have performed well, but EVERYONE and their mother has them, so I’d like to try something a little less mainstream. I’ll never go back to Goodyear and want to stay away from the Maxxis Trep Radial since it’s directional (and kind of boring compared to the bias design). The Toyo Open Country MT is on my radar. The Cooper STT Pro and Milestar Patagonia both appear to perform well, but man they’ve both got a very ugly/boring tread design. Since I drive on 40+h round trips, I’m staying away from Super Swampers. For now I’m sticking with 40s. To go to 42s, I’ll need to redo the front suspension to move the axle further forward and when I do, I’ll link it and go coilovers.

6) Engine Cooling: I still need to swap in the 34" radiator and factory e-fans to replace my 28" radiator and Flex-A-Lite e-fans. On some of the steep mountain passes, I had to be at full throttle in 2nd gear and I could watch the coolant temp climbing. It wasn't as bad as last summer since the ambient temp was lower, but it was still something that required me to dial back the throttle and speed to fix. It really just comes down to when I can get someone to tune the factory fans into my ECM.

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 04-26-2019 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:28 PM   #1312 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 260337
Pitbull is running a sale. I snagged the 55% off for Easter. It’s up to 60% off now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by wvracer821; 05-11-2019 at 12:06 PM. Reason: giant useless picture
wvracer821 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2019, 07:59 AM   #1313 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Pitbull doesn't make a 40" radial tire to my knowledge. The Mad Dogs are a 38.5 and while I do like the pattern, I don't really want to go smaller. The rocker comes in a 41.5 radial, but I can't fit that comfortably without major modifications to my suspension up front. Even the Bias Rocker only comes in a 39.5x16.50 which is stupidly and pointlessly wide IMO.

I'd like to stick with 40s until I can rework the front suspension (coilovers and links) to move the front axle forward another inch or so.

Not to mention, I haven't been all that impressed by the performance of the Rockers under vehicles I've seen in action. It's a good price with the discount, but it's not worth it right now.

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 04-26-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:04 AM   #1314 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
amazing Moab pics and very jelly over here. cage turned out really well and like that you where able to fit the bike and gear in the ext cab so not wasted space.

as far as new tires have you looked into the Maxxis Razr MT as can get them in a 40x17 for a good price and still a radial as well.

snowracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2019, 10:15 AM   #1315 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Thanks for the kind words about the cage! I'm also very happy with how it turned out, especially since it was so down to the wire near the end haha. I got all the 'need to have' items done on my list and the bike mount was one of the 'wishlist' items. There's still many more wishlist items, but I'm kind of taking a break and doing only necessary work to the truck for a while.

As for the Maxxis Razrs, I just saw them as an option. It must be a new design, yes? I didn't see it on 4WP website until I just searched for it now, specifically.

I like the tread pattern and sidewall designs. It does have 1-1.5/32 less tread depth than the ProComps and Nittos though... and the price is a bit higher than both, but not crazy. Still, I'll keep that in the running and see if I can find more information about them.

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 04-29-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:58 PM   #1316 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 19675
Send a message via AIM to joez Send a message via Yahoo to joez
Got to check this thing out Sunday, the photos don't do it justice. The cage work is super clean, makes me want to redo parts of mine. The small details are what makes it. It'll look great in the mag for sure.

As for the Maxxis Razr's, two guys I wheel with run them. One runs 40's on a 1st gen 4Runner, the other 37's on a SAS Taco. So far they have been great, both of the guys love them. The measured tread depth is deceiving, as they are definitely deeper than advertised. Especially at the shoulders. Quiet and smooth on the highway, too. They are definitely worth a hard look.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:03 PM   #1317 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Good to know, and thanks for the kind words, man! Part of me wants to just be different, and since I know firsthand that the ProComps work and second hand (by many, you included) that the Trail Grapplers work, I very convinced to try something new.

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 05-01-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:43 PM   #1318 (permalink)

Member # 42940
I've heard good things about the STT Pros as well.
TeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2019, 08:50 PM   #1319 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
I'm just really not a fan of how they look... lame, I know.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:00 PM   #1320 (permalink)

Member # 42940
naw man, I understand. When you're spending that kind of coin you want em to perform and look good too.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:10 PM   #1321 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 19675
Send a message via AIM to joez Send a message via Yahoo to joez
I have been going through "what tire next" lately as well. Coopers make me nervous when it comes to their sidewall, same with pro comp and Patagonia's. As much as I want to try something new, I'm just going to buy another set of Nitto's. They just flat work, look sharp, and man are they tough. Just have to be willing to deal with the weight. Plus I only have to buy 4 and still have a matching spare.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:33 PM   #1322 (permalink)

Member # 42940
speaking of new tires, have ya seen the new rock bouncer tire from Mickey Thompson?

https://www.facebook.com/AmericanRoc...type=1&theater
Old 05-11-2019, 11:22 AM   #1323 (permalink)

Member # 859054
Just read the whole thread in a week subd, love the truck, but you need to finish the rear fenders
Lugnutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #1324 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeXJ View Post
speaking of new tires, have ya seen the new rock bouncer tire from Mickey Thompson?

https://www.facebook.com/AmericanRoc...type=1&theater
Are you suggesting I run those? Aside from not being able to fit them, I don't think they'd be a great highway tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by joez View Post
I have been going through "what tire next" lately as well. Coopers make me nervous when it comes to their sidewall, same with pro comp and Patagonia's. As much as I want to try something new, I'm just going to buy another set of Nitto's. They just flat work, look sharp, and man are they tough. Just have to be willing to deal with the weight. Plus I only have to buy 4 and still have a matching spare.
I hear ya. I'm leaning heavily towards the Maxxis Razr's now, just to try something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutt View Post
Just read the whole thread in a week subd, love the truck, but you need to finish the rear fenders
In due time.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:46 PM   #1325 (permalink)

Member # 859054
Thaler have been like that since June of Ď18
Lugnutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in