2001 Silverado Solid Axle Swap 14FF/D60 - Page 56 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2019, 12:37 PM   #1376 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Finally figured out what broke during my full throttle assault on Potato Salad Hill in Moab. Ever since then the truck had a noticeable clunk that frankly never got noticeably worse.

I was never able to replicate it in the driveway or parking lot by myself until a few days ago I must've parked in the perfect position that I could rock the truck back and forth by hand in park and heard it.

I noticed the lower anti-wrap bar bolt moving a little bit in the bracket. Pulled it apart and the bushing sleeve was broken and the bolt severely bent.

I realize that this was likely due to worn/rusted bushing sleeve and potentially improperly torqued fasnters, but in the interest of building things stronger than before I sourced bushings that fit a 5/8" bolt rather than the 9/16" bolt. Lo and behold, it came in for a outer bushing diameter of 1.75" and my outer bushings are 1.5". Chucked it up in a drill and went to town until it fit snugly. Did both the top and bottom axle-side bushings this way since they see the most force in the system.

When the time comes to eventually replace these, I'll cut the ends off the anti-wrap bar and go with the properly sized sleeve to fit these.

Shortened 17" w/Bed, AAM 14B FF / Grizzly, Dana 60 HP / Chromos, Anti-Wrap Bar
4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 07-10-2019 at 02:05 PM.
DMANbluesfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2019, 02:21 PM   #1377 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Pic isn't working. I just see a grey "do not enter" sign.

4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2019, 04:15 PM   #1378 (permalink)

Member # 42940
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMANbluesfreak View Post
Pic isn't working. I just see a grey "do not enter" sign.
same
TeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 05:20 PM   #1379 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73SII View Post
Awesome updates! And congrats on the feature in 4WOR. Your truck has really come together, the cage turned out super nice.

I need to get out to Full Size Invasion next year. Looks like a blast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutt View Post
hmm, it works for me

That one works, but it's about the size of a peanut.

Enlarged now.

Also your photoshop skills are dope

Old 07-27-2019, 07:13 PM   #1380 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Sarcasm lol.

Real talk: I get what you're suggesting. That's also what I want to do. Executing it is the difficult part and I've been spending my time focusing on upgrades that allow me to keep wheeling.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:07 PM   #1381 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
It worked. Front is fine on my truck.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:56 PM   #1382 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make.

Old 07-29-2019, 03:44 AM   #1383 (permalink)

Member # 232666
Quote:
I was saying what body style i was using, i never said that something was wrong with the front of your truck.
Why would you bust into someone's build thread and post pics of your photoshopped truck then? Getting advice and help is one thing, but posting fake pics in a thread with little to no other reason then posting it is dumb... stop being a noob and build your truck. Start your own thread and many here will help.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:02 PM   #1384 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Actually I think we're all happier now. You haven't contributed anything to the build thread.

This is Pirate. If you can't take some criticism, you don't belong.

Old 07-30-2019, 03:27 AM   #1385 (permalink)

Member # 232666
Quote:
Also Iím unsubbing so I hope you r happy. I donít want to hear your bs
I am. Thank you little dramatic though...
Old 07-31-2019, 08:23 AM   #1386 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Learn and observe all you'd like. I don't understand what your input was supposed to accomplish.

I've already told you I have a plan for fixing the rear flares, but it's low on my priority list because it will be time consuming.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:06 AM   #1387 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
For my Bachelor party a few weeks back, we went to Windrock. I’d been there once driving through to the Smoky Mountain National Park, but that was back when I was running 37s, open front diff, and didn’t have a way to air up. We did Blue Trail 22 and it was mostly just bumpy and annoying. That said, I saw the potential of the terrain and wanted to go back - so what better time than now? Picture from 2014 when I was there last:

Loaded up in 2019:

Had friends flying in and my buddy lives in Indy, so they flew into the Indy airport. Here’s all the rigs before departing his house on Friday.

Day 1: We arrived fairly late on Friday and decided to do a short, but difficult (single black diamond) trail - Trail 3. After getting lost on some gravel roads during the climb up into the mountains, we took Trail 19 (blue) back and finally were on our way to Trail 3.

Lost and letting the truck cool down after it hit 230. The gravel road climbs were STEEP.

Trail 19:

Me, trying to get service to figure our where Grohe was (see previous pic).

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 07-31-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:07 AM   #1388 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Beginning of Trail 3:

First sizeable climb and my heater core fitting decided it wanted to be broken. After letting the truck cool down a bit so I wasn’t inhaling as many coolant vapors, I looped the heater hose back to the water pump and filled the system back up with water.

Most of the rigs continued past me while I was messing with this and we continued forward. Pictured below are most of the noteworthy obstacles on the trail. This sub-1 mile trail ended up taking a few hours due to some struggles with the open-front-diff Jeep in addition to my impromptu cooling system flush.

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 09-09-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:08 AM   #1389 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
FIXED, let’s try the hard line!

No more pics on Trail 3. With my cooling system issue and the Jeep being open front diff, it took a while to get up the trail. The Jeep ended up sliding sideways to where he couldn’t go forward due to traction and couldn’t go backward due to a tree and the only vehicle in front of him didn’t have a working winch. Ultimately, we used a tow strap and got him out of it after messing around with stacking rocks for FAR too long.

I got to use my rock lights, though!

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 07-31-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:08 AM   #1390 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Day 2:
On Day 2, we wanted to hit a trail rated “Most Difficult” despite the struggles we had on a regular “Difficult” trail the night before. The XJ driver opted to ride shotty in an open seat since everyone else was locked front/rear and had winches (though one didn’t work).

Trail 21 was ranked "Most Difficult" and it definitely lived up to that rating. After a super-steep switchback-laden hillclimb that was impressively steep and tight but otherwise not very eventful, we were greeted with what looked to be an unassuming rock face. This obstacle was the only one of the day where every rig needed to winch. It was extremely off-camber and kept tires sliding into holes with undercuts as they spun.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:08 AM   #1391 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
For me, my rear tires kept sliding downhill as I tried to climb and the truck was essentially laying on the driveshaft as it did so without making forward progress. Some clever side pulling by Bray_D solved that and I was able to go up and over.

We learned after my attempts that going further uphill was the best way to conquer this obstacle, but the slickness and undercut of the rocks still proved impossible for everyone to go up without winching.

Grohe slid into the tippy line with no trees downhil to stop the behemoth truck rolling for at least 60-80 feet.

This next obstacle probably never even used to be an obstacle, but erosion and tire spinning definitely dug out the mud around the large boulders. This is pretty much the story for the whole trail, based on the videos we watched of it from 2016.

Anyway, this was one of my favorite parts of the trail. It's hard to beat the feeling of the whole truck rotating around an obstacle against the rock slider. It also solidified my decision to 13b-convert my truck the next time I have the rear axle out. (Not a full shave, however)

I’ll upload a video later, but the rock my rear tire is on is the one that also caught my diff as the tire dropped down. Didn’t take much skinny pedal to get off, but if I’m dragging on this, there’s times I know it’ll prevent me moving forward.

Nobody needed to winch for this one, but it also caused the most/only carnage, strangely. Joe's shock mount got damaged, letting the shock fully extend, and his shock shaft got bent. Grohe developed a fuel leak (possibly one of the large trees smacked the already rusty fuel line?). And I got stung on the eyelid by a wasp shortly after this turn - OUCH. Nothing that prevented driving home or finishing the trail!

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 09-09-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:10 AM   #1392 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
The final obstacle of trail 21 (that didn't have a bypass) was a doozy. A (relatively) easy stair step climb leading into two options. The right line which appeared to eat driveshafts (and Joe completed successfully without winch) or the left line which needed some heavy slider action and wall-climbing... And still proved to be driveshaft-hungry.

Going first, we learned a lot about the left line from my failure. Going high up the wall is the best way. Some clever winching got me through with some effort. Grohe also needed a tug, but his solenoid stopped working, so Joe got turned mostly backwards and snatched him forward. Everyone else got through without winching (including Snowday). Shorter wheelbases definitely seemed to help here.

I’ll make an excuse here too… that big rock in front of my passenger front tire got moved back as more people went through and provided traction, so it was DEFINITELY hardest when I went through

Finally through:

Bray tried the right line, but ultimately decided to go left.

Joe Z succeeded taking the right line:

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 07-31-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:10 AM   #1393 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Grohe’s extra 17” of wheelbase definitely made things tough. It also didn’t help that his fuel line leaking meant he had to shut the truck off every time we stopped making progress. And the winch didn’t work. Still! We got him through!

At the end of trail 21, there were two optional lines that @limitlessfabrication and I played around on while the others worked their way through the last big obstacle.

First, I tried the left-most line (no pics sadly) but with a cutout that could swallow a 47" tire, I was unsuccessful... Made it further up than I thought though. The 47” tire-eating undercut definitely snagged my rear driver tire as the truck tried to climb.

Bray then hit the middle obstacle and got impressively far, only being stopped by the same undercut that would also stop me. He gave it a damn good try though! I followed suit, even getting the tires smoking and lifting a front passenger tire, but no dice. Every time the rear would start to climb, it would get hung up on something.

In the end we took the bypass, so as not to delay the group any more, but it sure was fun trying.

Finally, we made it. Still daylight, we went back to the cabin and ate dinner while a storm rolled through. We then did a green or blue trail at night that wasn’t picworthy.

Not wanting anyone to miss their flights, we hit the road after playing around on the RC crawling course Sunday morning instead of chancing getting stuck or lost on Windrock’s 72,000 acres. It was an awesome trip and fantastic bachelor party (props to @BigLBZPower08 for coordinating it!). In the next couple years, I now want to take a week off work and spend a solid few days here to explore more.

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 07-31-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:37 AM   #1394 (permalink)

Member # 100050
Windrock was a blast, but we need more time! I'd like to go back and do a thorough run through of all of the single blacks, then explore some more of the doubles.

It was a great time with a great group of guys. Excellent bachelor party idea!
Old 07-31-2019, 12:06 PM   #1395 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bray D View Post
Windrock was a blast, but we need more time! I'd like to go back and do a thorough run through of all of the single blacks, then explore some more of the doubles.

It was a great time with a great group of guys. Excellent bachelor party idea!
Sounds like a solid plan. Save for the radiator issues and the open front diff XJ the first single-black trail wasn't too difficult so I think the bulk of the single-blacks could be done in a few days with a smaller group.

How about fall 2020? Cooler weather would be nice down in that rainforest, too.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:44 PM   #1396 (permalink)

Member # 100050
Fall 2020 could work! Cooler weather would most definitely be welcomed.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:50 PM   #1397 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Yeah swampy is barely appropriate to describe how muggy it was haha.

Old 07-31-2019, 05:33 PM   #1398 (permalink)

Member # 42940
awesome update! got any of dem videos? *rubs white powdered nose*
Old 08-01-2019, 07:28 AM   #1399 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
HAHA. They're not uploaded yet (on a shareable platform).

Leaving Tuesday for my wedding in two Saturdays so you might have to wait a few weeks until I'm back from my honeymoon. Sorry!

Old 08-01-2019, 12:11 PM   #1400 (permalink)

Member # 42940
*still rubbing white powered nose* alll...right den

haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in