2001 Silverado Solid Axle Swap 14FF/D60 - Page 57 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2019, 12:43 PM   #1401 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
The only three videos of my truck. I guess when there's slow progress, mostly pictures are taken and not many videos

Shortened 17" w/Bed, AAM 14B FF w/ Grizzly, Dana 60 HP, Anti-Wrap Bar
4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" ProComps, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
DMANbluesfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2019, 01:13 AM   #1402 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 260337
I was looking back through your thread to where you put your Eco Box in. I noticed that you tied the transmission cooler line into the Eco Box as a recommendation by NWF. They never gave me that recommendation. although, I never asked. How is that working out? did you just put a "T" in the return line from the cooler? I assume it is for heat management when running long periods of highway speeds. Is the fluid level in the Eco Box sufficient? The thing is only supposed to hold half a quart of gear oil. I also mentioned the problems that you had getting the Eco box to seal to the transmission and NWF told me it wasn't a problem. I think I will be getting a plate cut like you did to make sure there are no leaks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wvracer821 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2019, 07:46 AM   #1403 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
So I've had conversations with NWF and a transmission expert on this. The reason I "teed" into the trans line is simply so I don't have to change the ecobox fluid every engine oil change.

At first, I did just have it "teed" off the cooler line, but after discussing with a transmission expert, he mentioned that I could be reducing the amount of cooled fluid that flows over the geartrain. All the fluid still does flow back into the trans pan after going into the EcoBox, but it's important to keep the transmission geartrain cool.

There's a pressure port on the side of the transmission you can tap into to feed the ecobox, but I've heard that without it properly orificed that you can actually overexert the pump and cause premature failure.

Ultimately what I decided on after talking to NWF, the transmission expert, and doing flow rate calculations myself was to keep the tee in the cooler return line, but put a .047" orifice on the ecobox side. This directs 96% of the fluid back into the transmission and then only 4% of the fluid goes to the ecobox. Considering NWF recommends changing the fluid with every oil change if you keep it separated from the transmission fluid system entirely, 4% is more than enough - I think I estimate that the ecobox gets fresh fluid every half hour or so at 4%. For what it's worth, I ran without the orifice and probably put 10-11k miles on the system and had no issues - including a 15 hour straight drive to Denver from Chicago at 80mph.

The only other performance issue I've had plumbing the two together is on steep climbs. When the truck is at a steep angle at idle for long enough, the fluid can flow back into the ecobox and starve the pump unless I keep on the throttle.

You can see what I'm talking about here, around 23-25 seconds:

This was before the orifice, so now it takes a bit longer before that happens - but you can also see just how steep it is so it's not a common occurrence. I've also found if I keep on the throttle enough to keep the truck moving at a crawl, it doesn't happen.

The final issue was sealing the box to the trans tail housing, but I think I posted my solution to that (two paper gaskets and a 1/8" steel plate between them) and NWF seems to be aware of it. The should be able to cut you the steel plate.

4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" ProComps, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 08-29-2019 at 07:51 AM.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:11 AM   #1404 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 260337
Thanks for the info. I'm glad you mentioned the orifice, that seems like one of the best options although I might just isolate the Eco Box and keep a case of gear oil ready for normal services. its defiantly something for me to think about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:42 PM   #1405 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Yeah if I keep having issues with starving the trans during climbs, I might figure out if separating the two makes a difference or not.

I wish I had a way to make it work so that I could isolate them during wheeling and then reconnect them for highway driving with a couple of ball valves or something.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:28 PM   #1406 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Nothing major... well... kinda.

Got the truck cleaned up (AKA washed at a coin-op carwash), popped some dents out, and painted the fabbed parts for the 4x4 Jamboree in Indy this past weekend. There's always like 75% d-bag trucks there, but there's some diamonds in the rough and it's a fun tailgate. I noticed a TRE had worn threads due to a loose jam nut, so I swapped those too. Rock lights make night wrenching easier!

My phone shit the bed on the drive home, so I don't have many pics from the show itself... but I did save this one before I hit the road.

Stopped by the 4wheelparts tent as they were packing up and the guy asked if I wanted a deal, so we talked. He made me an offer so good, I couldn't turn it down. Mickey Thompson Baja Bosses in the 40x13.50r17 flavor.

They're now in the attic because I'm trying to be responsible and run my current ProComps down to a more reasonable amount of tread before swapping tires.

That said... anyone wanna buy some ProComp 40s with like 30% tread left on 3 and 15% on the 4th???

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 09-23-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:35 AM   #1407 (permalink)

Member # 5799
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMANbluesfreak View Post
That said... anyone wanna buy some ProComp 40s with like 30% tread left on 3 and 15% on the 4th???

Will you personally deliver?
Old 09-24-2019, 09:02 AM   #1408 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban86K5 View Post
Will you personally deliver?
Sure, if the meeting point is O'Hare

Old 10-18-2019, 11:41 AM   #1409 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Well darn it... I forgot to mention to ya'll that I have zero self control.

Found a buyer for the old tires 3 days after I got the new ones and had them swapped out that same week

I'm stoked to see how they do off-road. On-road, they're quieter than I remember the ProComps being when new (and definitely quieter than the worn ProComps) and seem to grip just fine. They also balanced out super smooth, so I'm happy about that (buddy mounted them and static balanced them).

After that, I started delving into swapping my OE E-Fans and 34" radiator into the truck. Everything is now swapped and wired up correctly, but there's an issue with the tuning where the ECM won't turn the fans on with the AC (but they do come on when the engine heats up). I can solve it in a few roundabout ways (trinary switch on AC system or using the AC clutch as a signal for the fans), but I'd like to see if I can get the ECM to properly work - so I'll be going back and forth with my tuner until it's right or we've exhausted all options.

I believe the new fans move almost double what my Flex-A-Lite fans move and the additional 21% radiator width certainly won't hurt either. I also probably removed a few pounds of dust from the AC condenser so the airflow will be better, too. Even though they only occurred in the rocky mountains/Moab, cooling issues should be a thing of my past!

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 10-18-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:37 PM   #1410 (permalink)

Member # 212988
Been a long time but when I did my efan swap on my 01 back in 06 lol I think I used pin 33 on the blue PCM connector that triggered the efans with the AC on but I had it tuned that way.
HankScorpi0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2019, 01:04 PM   #1411 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Low speed relay signal: C1/42 (dk grn wire)
High speed relay signal: C2/33 (dk blu wire)
AC pressure sensor signal: C2/14 (red/blk wire)
AC pressure sensor 5V ref: C1/08 (grey wire)
AC pressure sensor 0V ref: C1/49 (black wire)

This is what I used. The ECM is triggering the fans with respect to coolant temperature, but it doesn't know it needs to trigger the fans based on AC pressure.

Old 10-18-2019, 02:48 PM   #1412 (permalink)

Member # 212988
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMANbluesfreak View Post
Low speed relay signal: C1/42 (dk grn wire)
High speed relay signal: C2/33 (dk blu wire)
AC pressure sensor signal: C2/14 (red/blk wire)
AC pressure sensor 5V ref: C1/08 (grey wire)
AC pressure sensor 0V ref: C1/49 (black wire)

This is what I used. The ECM is triggering the fans with respect to coolant temperature, but it doesn't know it needs to trigger the fans based on AC pressure.
edit checked old post looks like I had similar wiring

Green goes to pin 42 on the blue PCM port. Blue goes to pin 33 on the Red PCM port must be tune related. your truck is going to run nice and cool now with the radiator and efans. Also now your set for a supercharger no more mechanical fan in the way!

Last edited by HankScorpi0; 10-18-2019 at 02:51 PM.
HankScorpi0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2019, 03:50 PM   #1413 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
cant wait to hear how you like them new boots on the trail. really like the look of them on your truck

snowracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2019, 10:28 PM   #1414 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankScorpi0 View Post
edit checked old post looks like I had similar wiring

Green goes to pin 42 on the blue PCM port. Blue goes to pin 33 on the Red PCM port must be tune related. your truck is going to run nice and cool now with the radiator and efans. Also now your set for a supercharger no more mechanical fan in the way!
Yep, since the fans work with the engine temp, I'm sure it's just a setting in the PCM.

And... it sure is tempting. I think I'd probably end up doing some small twin turbos instead of a supercharger if I had the choice. But a stock 5.3L also saves drivetrain components and is free... so... it'll be a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowracer View Post
cant wait to hear how you like them new boots on the trail. really like the look of them on your truck
Same! Looks like they did awesome at trail hero on a few rigs so I'm hopeful!

Old 10-29-2019, 05:05 AM   #1415 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 260337
thanks for that last post, I spent all night looking at turbo setups for mine lol It sure would make my exhaust easy to run

Old 10-29-2019, 07:20 AM   #1416 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Yeah, it adds all sorts of extra space in front of the engine for... activities

Old 10-29-2019, 07:22 AM   #1417 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Update: still having issues getting the fans to kick on with the AC. Tuner believes there's something not connected within the tune but he can't figure it out. A coworker has EFI live and we tried logging into my ECM and it wouldn't connect, so he's gotta figure that out before we can determine if the ECM is even reading the AC pressure signal.

Worst case, I believe I can run a trinary switch and ground the two relays to enable the fans. My understanding is that this would simply run in parallel with the ECM signal and not have to worry about backfeeding (would use a 0V reference signal from the ECM to feed the trinary switch).

Old 11-06-2019, 12:15 PM   #1418 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019

Sorry for being so late posting this here... I thought I did a while back. It's the December 2019 issue if you wanna pick it up.

So stoked about seeing my truck in print. I would say it surpasses a childhood dream of mine - it wasn't even on my radar something I built could be featured in a popular magazine like this.

Also, I selfishly hope this increases my chances of getting selected for UA 2020

Old 11-06-2019, 03:00 PM   #1419 (permalink)

Member # 42940
That's Awesome! congrats!
TeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2019, 06:55 PM   #1420 (permalink)
finally fuckin in

Member # 232666
Nice job! Your truck looks great as always man. Glad to see someone i sorta know get in the mag!
Old 11-07-2019, 07:12 PM   #1421 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 343
Love the proportions .about perfect!
Attached Images

cj8scrambld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2019, 07:40 AM   #1422 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeXJ View Post
That's Awesome! congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingfire View Post
Nice job! Your truck looks great as always man. Glad to see someone i sorta know get in the mag!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj8scrambld View Post
Love the proportions .about perfect!
Thanks everyone!!! I'm so stoked to see it in print... I snagged a bookstore copy (without my address on the front cover) and stuck it in a plastic bag for long-term storage.

Wheeling trip at SMORR (southern MO) next weekend, so I finally get to test out the new rubber.

Anyone who wants to join is welcome!

Old 11-08-2019, 11:50 AM   #1423 (permalink)

Member # 42940
Thoughts on joining an Ultimate Adventure? I want to say I remember you saying something about that but it's probably buried in this thread.
TeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2019, 12:13 PM   #1424 (permalink)

Member # 114612
Dang. Wish I had a rig to join you at SMORR. It's not that far from me.
-Romans 1:16-
stan1688 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2019, 01:13 PM   #1425 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeXJ View Post
Thoughts on joining an Ultimate Adventure? I want to say I remember you saying something about that but it's probably buried in this thread.
I will for sure apply in 2020. Fingers crossed that I'm selected!

I made the Dirty Dozen in 2018 and I wanted to apply in 2019, but it would have overlapped with my Wedding, so I'm glad I didn't.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in