2001 Silverado Solid Axle Swap 14FF/D60 - Page 60 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2020, 01:56 PM   #1476 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
It's 1.25" OD, but it's hollow. I never measured the ID, but I estimate it is around .2" wall thickness. I'll try and measure tonight.

The overall length is 36".

Shortened 17" w/Bed, AAM 14B FF / Grizzly, Dana 60 HP / Chromos, Anti-Wrap Bar
4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
DMANbluesfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 12:58 PM   #1477 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Got it finished up and fully welded/painted last night after flexing it out to make sure things cleared. Also got one of the two quick disconnects prototyped, but I'll be redoing it with stainless so it doesn't rust.

First impressions are that the truck is WAY more stable on sweeping turns. I'm very happy with it and now wish I added this years ago.

4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 01-15-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2020, 10:21 AM   #1478 (permalink)

Member # 878064
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMANbluesfreak View Post
Will do. You run marine grease in the wheel bearings too? No issues with it overheating?

I will say that the Energy suspension bushings I replaced these with have a seemingly solid (no visible weld seam) sleeve and are yellow-zinc plated. I don't think the old ones were. So these ought to last longer. I used the provided energy suspension grease which is super tacky (like marine grease), so again - these will probably last longer.

Still, I've gone 5-6 years on my front springs before I needed to replace the rubber bushings and it wasn't due to rust - they had just finally worn out due to all the flexing and whatnot. I'd much prefer a rubber bushing on my leaf spring shackle if at all possible.

I got the truck back together last night. Ended up taking out the cut-down overload from the pack since the rear measured higher than the front hub to fender when I set it down on jack stands. Didn't get a level-ground measurement, but it looks close to where it was before.

Yesterday on my lunch break, I went down the rabbit hole of leaf spring slider boxes for the next iteration of my rear suspension. I'm seriously considering this route, now. Looks like a lot of people have good luck with these even on a street-driven rig. The biggest thing would be making sure to plate the bottom of the slider box so that they don't get damaged coming down on them off-road, but that should be no problem. They'd be a fully custom design if I go this route so I can run really beefy UHMW sliders (or upgrade to bronze if those don't last long enough). It started out as a brain exercise but now I'm really liking this as an option.
Run BRP PN 0775778 in the wheel bearings. The triple guard will work ok but the other PN is a marine grade wheel bearing grease. You can run it in the bushings as well if you only want to have one grease on hand. We use both being a BRP dealer we have ample stock of each. Triple guard in steering components and bushings, The marine WB grease on trailers and anything that may see excessive pressure and heat. They both can be found for about the same price adn just about every marine manufacturer offers both types, different names and PNs of course.
NorthernWolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 11:53 AM   #1479 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernWolf View Post
Run BRP PN 0775778 in the wheel bearings. The triple guard will work ok but the other PN is a marine grade wheel bearing grease. You can run it in the bushings as well if you only want to have one grease on hand. We use both being a BRP dealer we have ample stock of each. Triple guard in steering components and bushings, The marine WB grease on trailers and anything that may see excessive pressure and heat. They both can be found for about the same price adn just about every marine manufacturer offers both types, different names and PNs of course.
Sounds good. I'll likely make the switch when I do my next bearing service. This stuff isn't any more expensive than the Valvoline Synthetic EP I'm currently buying at the local parts store - I just need to plan ahead and stock some.

Old 01-20-2020, 12:32 PM   #1480 (permalink)
bobbing for fries

Member # 190574
Same here. Been using marine grease in my junk for a long time without issue

The truck looks great, it has progressed nicely over the years. I can't always see the pics but still following along

Last edited by billy bones; 01-20-2020 at 12:34 PM.
billy bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2020, 06:30 PM   #1481 (permalink)

Member # 227979
Another trick that's helped significantly is applying rtv between the hub and lockout, better sealing of the o-ring.... absolutely zero water gets inside. I try to pump grease into my spindle bushings once a year to help seal the next obvious point of intrusion.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:53 AM   #1482 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 260337
Isnít there some tech on here about adding a grease fitting to the hub so that you can pull the lockout and pump in clean grease and drive out the water and trash?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wvracer821 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2020, 09:15 AM   #1483 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Only for the spindle bearing/bushing. It threads onto the spindle once the locking hub is removed. I just made mine out of some scrap plastic at work and it self threaded itself the first time I threaded it on the spindle. The hub itself should not be packed full of grease otherwise it will overheat I believe.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:22 PM   #1484 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 260337
Quote:
Only for the spindle bearing/bushing. It threads onto the spindle once the locking hub is removed. I just made mine out of some scrap plastic at work and it self threaded itself the first time I threaded it on the spindle. The hub itself should not be packed full of grease otherwise it will overheat I believe.

That makes sense. Sorry for the derailment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wvracer821 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2020, 03:37 AM   #1485 (permalink)

Member # 232666
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvracer821 View Post
Isnít there some tech on here about adding a grease fitting to the hub so that you can pull the lockout and pump in clean grease and drive out the water and trash?
Yes there is. You put a zerk into your hub near the wheel mount surface... using a needle zerk so it's low profile. You change it to a normal zerk when you need to grease. I was going to do this, but never got around to it.

Quote:
If the over heating idea was true, then you wouldn't be packing trailer bearings full with a grease gun, i wouldn't think. Same style bearing, same principle spindle wise. I think it would be fine, but I've been wrong before...
Old 01-23-2020, 11:36 AM   #1486 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvracer821 View Post
That makes sense. Sorry for the derailment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No worries, that's what this thread is for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingfire View Post
Yes there is. You put a zerk into your hub near the wheel mount surface... using a needle zerk so it's low profile. You change it to a normal zerk when you need to grease. I was going to do this, but never got around to it.

If the over heating idea was true, then you wouldn't be packing trailer bearings full with a grease gun, i wouldn't think. Same style bearing, same principle spindle wise. I think it would be fine, but I've been wrong before...
Good point. Maybe it's solely to do with the locking hubs? I know they won't slide freely if overpacked.

Old 01-23-2020, 03:24 PM   #1487 (permalink)

Member # 232666
Quote:
No worries, that's what this thread is for!

Good point. Maybe it's solely to do with the locking hubs? I know they won't slide freely if overpacked.
I could definitely see the locking hub being an issue if packed with grease. Maybe if you're using drive flanges it's an ok idea?
Old 01-27-2020, 07:54 AM   #1488 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Went to move the truck to the driveway last week and noticed a puddle of gas on the ground. One of the extended fuel lines had ruptured (not at a bend or rub area from what I could tell).

Instead of messing with the same method I used to extend the lines the 1st go around (boiling water to soften nylon line, tapping the quick connect to get it to slide in, etc.), I found this method online somewhere. It worked awesome.

Modified Quick-Grip clamp (or a caulk gun would also probably work) and brake flaring kit clamp which I rented. A tiny bit of petroleum jelly to make it slide in nicely. No drama and way faster.

I also noticed that the fuel line repair kits were just push-to-connect nylon fittings: https://smile.amazon.com/Fuel-Connec...dp/B07CYFJNM9/

Snagged one of each size to toss in the truck in case this were to happen remotely.

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 01-27-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:21 PM   #1489 (permalink)

Member # 385346
Great build and great build thread. You have done a great job and should be very proud. I live close to C-U, surprised I never saw the truck around. Good luck going forward with it.
Subsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2020, 06:20 AM   #1490 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsrule View Post
Great build and great build thread. You have done a great job and should be very proud. I live close to C-U, surprised I never saw the truck around. Good luck going forward with it.
I haven't lived in Champaign for 5 years now, which is probably a big part of it. It was never on 40s while I lived in Champaign, either - only 37s.

I do visit often though and I'll be down there with the truck for a meet on March 21, so come check it out!

Thanks for the kind words!!

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 02-12-2020 at 06:20 AM.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:38 AM   #1491 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 502649
This thing is sweet. I donít get in the Chevy forum often but Iíll be watching yours for sure. Definitely different like my build. The short wheel base looks awesome.
Twmdodge99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2020, 12:20 PM   #1492 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmdodge99 View Post
This thing is sweet. I don’t get in the Chevy forum often but I’ll be watching yours for sure. Definitely different like my build. The short wheel base looks awesome.
Thanks man! Means a lot coming from you. Your build is fantastic.

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 02-20-2020 at 12:21 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in