'71 GMC LS endless build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2015, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock Hound

Member # 608906
'71 GMC LS endless build

Hey everyone! So this thread is about my 71' GMC that has gone through a lot of change! Started out as a K1500 with a 12 bolt and 44. It went to 3/4 axles. A 14 bolt and an 8 lug 44. Then it went under and got its tired 350 yanked and replaced with a 5.3. At the same time it received a Chevy Kingpin 60 with an ARB and 5.38s and a PSC Hydro assist ram. Along with a set of 40" MTRs.
That lasted about 8 months and then I yanked the 60 and started a new axle for it. That's where the truck currently sits. It's getting dual cases, 3-link and coilovers, and most of all a Torq 14 bolt with all the bells and whistles! Ried Racing C's and knuckles, 40 spline ARB and inner shafts, 35 spline outters with Yukon hardcore locking hubs, all wrapped by a Torq Motorsports 14 bolt housing.
Hope you all enjoy and feel free to chime in. Always up for any comments!
Attached Images

Rockhoundoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2015, 09:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 123514
Any plans for a cage?

I don't build it pretty I build it to function.
frikenwoodro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2015, 09:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock Hound

Member # 608906
Quote:
Originally Posted by frikenwoodro View Post
Any plans for a cage?
Yes it will be getting an internal cage. Thought about Exo but I think it would take away from the "classic" look haha

Last edited by Rockhoundoffroad; 09-12-2015 at 09:51 PM.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 13645
My kinda truck! more pics and info pls..
/ TH350 / Dubblah / D60 / 14FF / 42's on Stazworks / heavy foote / four eyez / forsaken
[B]1997 GMC K3500 Suburban[/B]
TC76 L33 / 4L80E / HP60 SAS / [i]PROJECT TOWHOE[/i]
[i]Foot On, Foot Off. There is no in between.[/i]
florida4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2015, 08:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 38809
Interested in seein how you set up the 3 link. Plan on linking the front of my 67 K2500 once I get to that stage.
1990REDRANGIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2015, 02:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 478937
Quote:
Any plans for a cage?
Hey turd! efonzarelly from insta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhoundoffroad View Post
Yes it will be getting an internal cage. Thought about Exo but I think it would take away from the "classic" look haha

I agree. How do you like the 5.3? Is it a stock motor?
Old 09-13-2015, 03:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 123514
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeTooLowBangDingOw View Post
Hey turd! efonzarelly from insta.

I agree. How do you like the 5.3? Is it a stock motor?
Oh I know, Thats how I remebered who you was

Old 09-13-2015, 03:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 123514
Quote:
I would do one inside. Exo cages on a full size is too much IMO

Old 09-13-2015, 09:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rock Hound

Member # 608906
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990REDRANGIE View Post
Interested in seein how you set up the 3 link. Plan on linking the front of my 67 K2500 once I get to that stage.
I will be getting to it this week and next so I will have pics of the 3-link up soon for ya!
Old 09-13-2015, 09:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock Hound

Member # 608906
I agree. How do you like the 5.3? Is it a stock motor?[/QUOTE]

I love the motor! It's got a Lunati cam, headers and it was dyno tuned. Pulled 366 hp and 377 torque at the 40s. She will get up and go tho!
Old 09-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock Hound

Member # 608906
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida4x4 View Post
My kinda truck! more pics and info pls..
So I'm not sure where to start with more pics since I've been working on this truck for the past few years....but here's some of it flexed with the leafs. 52" leafs up front and 56" in the rear. No lift springs, both sets came from the junk yard.
The first 3 where with military 37s and the 44. The last was 40s and the Dana 60.
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2015, 06:59 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 123514
What is you plans for steering?Assume Hydro assist as I believe you still wanna street it??

Last edited by frikenwoodro; 09-14-2015 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Rock Hound

Member # 608906
Ya When I put the 60 in and switched to 40s I knew I needed it so I've been running the 1.75" PSC ran with the high flow box and pump, and res and it is great! Makes the truck drive like s new car on the street and when the front is locked and against rocks it is a breeze to turn. One of my favorite things I've done and I will put hydro assist on and crawler I have from now on!
This is the shaft I had to make to get around putting s shock tower in.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rockhoundoffroad; 09-14-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 123514
Quote:
Ya When I put the 60 in and switched to 49s I knew I needed it so I've been running the 1.75" PSC ran with the high flow box and pump, and res and it is great! Makes the truck drive like s new car on the street and when the front is locked and against rocks it is a breeze to turn. One of my favorite things I've done and I will put hydro assist on and crawler I have from now on!
This is the shaft I had to make to get around putting s shock tower in.
Thats a hell of a chingding haha. I really enjoy the assist I have, turns the 42 locked at 5psi on the street like a breeze!

Old 09-25-2015, 07:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rock Hound

Member # 608906
Finally got all the parts for the front end! The wheel hubs were a chore to track down. Yukon is not currently making them until November and Solid was is 4-6 weeks out for the 3/4 ton conversion hubs. Found some factory style Solid hubs and I will run off set brake brackets from Currie to run 3/4 ton calipers.
So now on to assembly. As soon as I find some free time that is... As for the 3-link, I'll get some more pics soon but it will be a tight fit. The upper link will be real close to the motor mount. So we will see! Either way it will be made to work no matter what!
Attached Images

Last edited by Rockhoundoffroad; 09-25-2015 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rock Hound

Member # 608906
Got some time to mock up the upper and lower links tonight. Still need to build the panhard bracket but I'm gunna wait till I get the steering together. I'm gunna have to shorten the headers so they are pulled right now. But looks like everything is gunna fly! This set up will give me about 80% anti-dive.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2015, 09:21 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 123514
Any reason you chose 3 link vs 4? Lack of room?

Old 10-04-2015, 10:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rock Hound

Member # 608906
Quote:
Any reason you chose 3 link vs 4? Lack of room?
Ya exactly, I don't think I would have been able to fit the 4 link with how low I want to keep it. Once I 4-link the rear I would like to get it even lower.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:23 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 123514
Quote:
Ya exactly, I don't think I would have been able to fit the 4 link with how low I want to keep it. Once I 4-link the rear I would like to get it even lower.
You sound like I do. My junk is already less then 23" belly on 42's and I want it lower.

How long are your links?

Any pics of the mounts?

Old 10-05-2015, 05:06 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 38809
Quote:
Damn it! I guess I will have to go 3 link on my truck if I plan to keep it around 2"-3" over stock height suspension wise. I'll have to go back and read more to see if it is just due to set up, but I thought I read something about strange handling with a 3 link under heavy braking on pavement due to the forces at play.

Was hoping to go parallel 4 link since my project will be a daily driver. Also, dual tri 4 link rear with rear coil springs from a ram 2500 has crossed my mind as well
1990REDRANGIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2015, 06:30 PM   #21 (permalink)
Rock Hound

Member # 608906
Quote:
Quote:
You sound like I do. My junk is already less then 23" belly on 42's and I want it lower.

How long are your links?

Any pics of the mounts?
You are nice and low! I'm at about 28" to the frame one 40s. The links are 54" eye to eye. I think I'm gunna got with 2.5"x.5 wall tube for the lowers. Here's a few of the links mocked up. Upper and lower spread on the axle is set at 7" right now.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2015, 06:33 PM   #22 (permalink)
Rock Hound

Member # 608906
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990REDRANGIE View Post
Quote:
Damn it! I guess I will have to go 3 link on my truck if I plan to keep it around 2"-3" over stock height suspension wise. I'll have to go back and read more to see if it is just due to set up, but I thought I read something about strange handling with a 3 link under heavy braking on pavement due to the forces at play.

Was hoping to go parallel 4 link since my project will be a daily driver. Also, dual tri 4 link rear with rear coil springs from a ram 2500 has crossed my mind as well
Ya for a truck with so much room theirs not much room haha the frames are pretty narrow is the reason.
If you set up a 3-link wrong and don't pay attention to things like anti-dive and your roll axis then you will get funky handling. But a parallel 4-link is a great set up for a daily driven truck! But will bind a lot more then a 3-link.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
Rock Hound

Member # 608906
Got the track bar all mocked up. Had to make a lil jog in it to clear the diff. May need to make it more of a bend but I'm hoping this one will fly.

Also I was shooting to run the tie rod behind the diff but in order to keep the truck low it's not gunna happen. So back to the front it is!
Decided to throw the tire on to see what it will look like when finished. Looks like there will be some trimming involved.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2015, 02:12 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 123514
All 3 the same length? That will be nice and youll only have to have 1 spare lol.

Did you consider making the panhard bar mount taller?

Assuming you cycled the suspension to see if it will hit. I wanna see a pic at ful bump

Old 10-08-2015, 08:39 PM   #25 (permalink)
Rock Hound

Member # 608906
Well the upper is shorter, 38". I doubt the upper will ever get bent tho!
With the track bar mount at the height it is now, the track bar and drag link are the exact same length and angle. Should have zero bump steer that way. Ill get some pics at full bump soon. I had to replace the oil pan with the Holley high clearance oil pan. Check out the difference between the two!
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in