Multipurpose Duramax Build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2016, 10:15 AM  

Member # 81908
Multipurpose Duramax Build

I've owned and built a lot of different trucks/SUVs over the years, but this is my first duramax truck. I decided that I wanted to build a crewcab chevy truck, and my favorite body style/interior was the 03-07. I knew that the LBZ was most sought after, so that's what I went searching for.

Listed up my Hummer H1 and ended up finding a local truck:

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/vehic...e-duramax.html

The truck is a 2007 classic model crewcab shortbed 4wd. Had 52k miles on it (has 59k as of today), and was fully loaded inside. Basically everything that I was looking for (Leather, Heated Seats, Power everything...ect)

Truck had just recently been modded with some exterior/appearance gear that wasn't my style, but I saw potential in a clean low-mile truck. It also had a bunch of performance stuff added to it just prior to me snagging it up.

List of modifications done to the truck whenever I picked it up:

- Banks Air Intake
- PPE Fuel Rail Fittings
- PPE Transmission Cooler (Setrab)
- PPE Deep Transmission Pan
- Merchant Transfercase Brace
- Suncoast Transmission with 1058 converter (2300rpm stall)
- Danville 68mm Billet Stg2 Turbo
- High Flow EGR Delete Pipe
- EFI Live with custom tunes (5 tunes on the fly)
- FASS Fuel System
- Fuel Filter Delete
- MBRP 3" Intercooler Piping
- MBRP 3" Downpipe
- MBRP 4" Exhaust with Muffler
- Truxedo Bed Cover
- Spray in Bedliner
- B&W Turnover Hitch
- Pillar Gauges
- Edge Insight CTS2
- Sony Doubledin
- Window Tint
- 3" Rear Drop Shackles
- 22x11 XD Diesel Wheels
- 305/45-22 Nitto 420s
- Cleared Headlights
- Clear LED Cab Lights
- Colormatched Everything
- 2015 Mirrors (Leveled)
- Infinity Door Speakers
- Dynamat

Here are some pics of what I was starting out with. You guys will probably think I'm crazy for trading my H1 for it.

tim_zr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2016, 10:18 AM  

Member # 81908
Truck runs great, has GOBS more power than needed (620whp) and is super clean inside and out.
I saw the potential for an awesome truck. Hopefully I can make it happen.

First thing, was to ditch those rear lowering shackles and wheels, and toss on some rollers until I found some better wheels/tires.

Found some brand new HD wheels with new 35" tires, picked up some leveling torsion keys, and threw them on:

Already looking better...
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2016, 10:29 AM  

Member # 81908
Knew I wanted a camper shell, and stumbled upon one on CL. Tossed it on there, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for (pretty rough shape).

Found a super clean Leer hightop and snagged it up. It was the wrong color, so had my paint and body guy match it up. Much more practical than the standard height, but most people hated it for whatever reason!

And somewhere along the way I pulled the shell and hauled a parts truck for a friend (F550 4x4 on a 45' goose).
Probably the first thing this truck has towed... Handled it well. Trans temp never got above 140 degrees.

Last edited by tim_zr2; 08-20-2016 at 10:29 AM.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:36 AM  

Member # 81908
I had an issue with the amount of white color matched parts on this truck. That's just not my style. So I picked up some OEM black textured flares, swapped the bumpers with a local guy for some aftermarket ranchhand style (also not my thing, but they're at least black). Also swapped out the door handles, grille, cab lights and mirrors.

Again, making some headway.

Seeing how it was smack dab in the middle of summer, I wanted to do everything I could to ensure this truck had the best cooling system possible. It never had any problems, but I like practical mods that actually improve upon the existing parts.

So I went with a fan clutch off of the Kodiak trucks. Same engine, but the clutch engages at a much lower temperature. Engine temp gets up to 197, fan clutch starts roaring!
Also when sitting idle with the A/C going, fan clutch locks in. Big difference over the factory clutch.
Also gave me an excuse to clean out the cooling stack while I was in there.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:39 AM  

Member # 81908
Then I picked this dude up from the local LKQ for $210.

Old 08-20-2016, 05:26 PM  
Rock God

Member # 45812
Send a message via AIM to ]4RunnerKid[ Send a message via MSN to ]4RunnerKid[ Send a message via Yahoo to ]4RunnerKid[
solid truck, i love my LBZ. i'll be watching

2019 Tundra

Party Wagon
locked, geared, caged, topless, dents

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

]4RunnerKid[ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2016, 05:37 PM  

Member # 138346
I liked the way the truck looked when you bought. But solid axle LBZ's are bad ass!
Old 08-20-2016, 08:19 PM  

Member # 214840
What year Ford is that out of? Didn't realize those axles could be had for that cheap.

Never seen anyone run 35's on the stock 16's since they're so narrow. Looks good.

I love my lbz as well and look forward to stealing some ideas from you hopefully
fl0w3n is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2016, 09:56 PM  
Rock God

Member # 200478
What's the part number on that fan clutch?
isbj60 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2016, 07:52 AM  

Member # 138346
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl0w3n View Post
What year Ford is that out of? Didn't realize those axles could be had for that cheap.

Never seen anyone run 35's on the stock 16's since they're so narrow. Looks good.

I love my lbz as well and look forward to stealing some ideas from you hopefully
Axle is more than likely out of an 05+ super duty. That's what I have under the front of my LBZ
Old 08-21-2016, 07:53 AM  

Member # 81908
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl0w3n View Post

This axle is out of a 2009 SRW F350. It's BEEFY. 35spine outers, monster axle housing, big unit bearings...ect

And the 35s (315/75/16) worked great on the stock wheels. The only thing that they rubbed was the front swaybar at full lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isbj60 View Post
What's the part number on that fan clutch?
Hayden 2886
Old 08-21-2016, 07:54 AM  

Member # 81908
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackthehack View Post
Axle is more than likely out of an 05+ super duty. That's what I have under the front of my LBZ

You beat me to it.

Got any pics of your setup?
Old 08-21-2016, 08:04 AM  

Member # 81908
The entire time that Ive owned the truck, I've been coming up with different suspension designs and playing around with different combinations of parts. My goal was to have a truck that sat as low as possible on 37s and drove like a stock superduty.

I spent some time on the phone with a couple different places that make SAS kits for this truck. However, none of them seemed to be 100% what I was looking for. All of them were taller than I'd like... I realized that the only way I was going to be satisfied was if I came up with my own design. Lots and lots of work/time involved with that. Many late nights.

Here are some pics of my initial design. Was planning to use the stock ford radius arms and coils:

And as you can see, I'm also planning a Front Bumper, Roof Rack and a Ute Bed.... LOL

Old 08-21-2016, 08:10 AM  

Member # 81908
More timeline pics as I continued to refine and tweak on the designs. Again, many many hours between each set of pics that you see.

Nailed down my bumper design, figured out my upcoming projector headlight retrofit, and decided to run coilovers:

Old 08-21-2016, 08:20 AM  

Member # 81908
It was about that time that I said screw it, I needed to just go all the way and design my own radius arms so that I could adjust caster. Just wasn't a fan of how far those ford arms would hang down. So I went all out on this one.
Also decided against the 20x12 Fuel Maveriks in favor of some 20x10 Fuel Trophy wheels.

Here's what I came up with:

Old 08-21-2016, 08:24 AM  

Member # 81908
This setup gives me 4" of up-travel and everything clears (barely).

Here are some more detail shots of my steering setup and my PSC remote reservoir engine mount:

And some upcoming projects, Ute Bed and Roof Rack. Rack uses KC's new PRO-6 LED lights up front. They're sweet.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:36 AM  

Member # 81908
Ok finally all of the CAD work was out of the way and I could start ordering parts...

I knew that I wanted an ARB air locker up front. I just couldn't wrap my mind around having a real locker up front and the G80 in the rear, so they're both getting air lockers. I also wanted 4.88 gears. I'm a fan of having plenty of gear vs not enough. With the double OD Allison transmission, I'll still be able to cruise comfortably with the 37s.

So I called around and got some prices. East Coast Gear Supply hooked me up with a great deal and free shipping (200lbs of stuff). Couldn't pass that up!

And I started stripping the axle down. Didn't plan to use much of it honestly. All new parts were on the way.

- Spicer Ball Joints
- Spicer U-joints
- Spicer seals
- Moog steering parts
- Ford unit bearings
- New brakes/calipers
- New bushings/trackbar joints....ect

From my CAD model, I could tell that the new D60 was wider than my stock rear axle (AAM 11.5). And of course the lug pattern was different.
Most people suggest having your brand new unit bearings re-drilled for 8x6.5. However, if I'm traveling in the truck and have a unit bearing failure, that means I can't just swing by a parts store and pick one up...

So, I called up Fred and had him machine me some billet steel wheel adapters for my rear axle. Had them made to correct the track width (match front axle) and also convert the rear lug pattern to 8x170. Allows me to run Ford wheels.

He does very nice work.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:42 AM  

Member # 81908
Now the fun stuff, getting all those new parts in the mail. Kinda like Christmas in July. Except I had to pay for it. Lol

Rebuilt the knuckles with all new everything. Including new dust shields from Ford:

And got my front diff setup late one night:

Also picked up my bumper and my friend started working on putting it together:

Old 08-21-2016, 08:58 AM  

Member # 81908
With that said, it was time to start cutting up a nice truck.

Thankfully, everything went together without a single issue. The couple hundred hours that I spent in solidworks paid off.
But deleting all the factory parts on the frame was sure a lot easier in SW than in real life......

Old 08-21-2016, 09:01 AM  

Member # 81908

Last edited by tim_zr2; 08-21-2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:04 AM  

Member # 81908

Old 08-21-2016, 09:08 AM  

Member # 81908
The worst part of the WHOLE job. Right here.

INSERT A COUPLE HOURS HERE.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:12 AM  

Member # 81908
Fitment was spot on.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:16 AM  

Member # 81908
It's on there pretty good. Don't think it's gonna fall off. LOL

Old 08-21-2016, 09:18 AM  

Member # 81908
Fresh new day. Time to start some re-assembly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in