The Weapon - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2016, 09:12 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 708218
Quote:
Originally Posted by frikenwoodro View Post
Ive been toying with this idea and have thought about the s10 thing but there is less room for tall people. Used to own one so I know

Plus square body trucks are the best lookin
It really wasn't a lot of work to narrow the cab and firewall, could be done in an day no problem. The floor is what took the time, as I used part of the factory tunnel. If I were to do it again I would do it the same just build the entire floor. Took a lot of time trying to match the floor pieces to the factory hump, and finished product doesn't look that great, well I don't think so anyways. But I went with the square body because, 1. Looks better imo 2. Like you stated, more head AND leg room 3. I had the cab already
Old 10-24-2016, 10:38 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 143737
Quote:
Originally Posted by frikenwoodro View Post
Ive been toying with this idea and have thought about the s10 thing but there is less room for tall people. Used to own one so I know

Plus square body trucks are the best lookin
I have a C60 cab with rotted floor that I've wanted to do this to, along with a complete m715 body that would be cool narrowed
Old 10-24-2016, 10:54 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 123514
Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLBILT View Post
It really wasn't a lot of work to narrow the cab and firewall, could be done in an day no problem. The floor is what took the time, as I used part of the factory tunnel. If I were to do it again I would do it the same just build the entire floor. Took a lot of time trying to match the floor pieces to the factory hump, and finished product doesn't look that great, well I don't think so anyways. But I went with the square body because, 1. Looks better imo 2. Like you stated, more head AND leg room 3. I had the cab already
Yeah I wanna change some of the cage in mine doing this Id wind up redoing all of it which Im ok with, move the motor back 5"+/-
The cage is touching the outter skin of the roof and Ive got about 4-5" of head room even with the seats as low as they will go with the tubing being recessed under the floor. Leg room i lacking so the rpms go up when I hit the gas. Would prefer more if I could. I dont think Id go 18" like you did but defiantly would see 12''. I suck at sheet metal with the curves so id tube it all out and do flat panels. This will happen when the house and barn go up soon. Not sure the wife is ready for that haha.

To get back to your build and off my presidential style derail. I did find a way to see more pics

I don't build it pretty I build it to function.
frikenwoodro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 09:43 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 708218
Thought Id update this a bit. Been busy with other projects, and holidays and crap, so finally rolled this junk back in the shop and de-thawed it

Ive been having a slight heating issue with it, so thought Id start at the heart of the system and upgrade my water pump. Pretty nice unit compared to the old shitty NAPA one I had on there. I also checked my timing, was quite a bit more advanced than were I thought it was at, so will knock that back and see if it helps with the heat issue a bit.

With the new pump installed I dug out some old crusty wagon wheels I had and went to work with the beadlock rings Ive had sitting on my welding table for the last few months.

Using some 1/8 round stock to make a safety bead. Us Canucks, we love our 16.5s

And with it fully welded, ground the one side to act as a ramp to help the tire get over the lip

Then cleaned the wheels up and hit them with some paint and started mounting them

Got a bunch more stuff to do, and gotta get my ass in gear as snowwheelin season is in full swing
Old 01-05-2017, 09:52 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 708218
And got tired of dragging my plasma cutter around for the last year, so threw together a cart for it and it also fits my small inverter. And right now its basically that fastest cart in the shop

Last edited by HILLBILT; 01-05-2017 at 09:53 AM.
HILLBILT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2017, 09:59 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 228663
I really, really like this truck....more pics please!
Old 01-24-2017, 08:35 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 708218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay86K5 View Post
I really, really like this truck....more pics please!
Thanks man, I'll get some more up here soon as it gets mobile again
Old 01-24-2017, 08:41 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 708218
Did Sh$t

Decided it was time to tear into my STak o Shit and see if I can make something work until my replacement shaft from TWF becomes available. So pulled the big bitch out

Pulled out and started dismantling it. Pics

Some nice metal paste

Back half of case, wadded up a bit, might be missing parts...

A bunch of Sh$t here that's sealed when case is together, so was like that when they assembled it, looks like somebody tried to pry it apart with a flat head...

Last edited by HILLBILT; 01-24-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:00 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 708218
Onto the gears, beefier that I thought and in decent shape with a few exceptions

All the gears out

his is the range selector shaft, has all the gears still on it. Here is where Stak tried to remedy the problem as I haven't seen pics of this mod anywhere. They drilled 3 holes and mounted some poppet pins with springs to try to keep the shift collar engaged. The replacement shaft has an elevation in the middle of this gear. Out of the 3 poppets I only found one, all three springs were there so not sure if they got chewed up by the tcase or were never installed...

The range shaft gears are looking rough, this is the 3:1 gear and is the worst of the 2

And the 4hi idler gear on the range shaft

On the bonus side this was the only bearing I found that needed replacement

So I have a plan to try to keep this thing in gear after I address the few issues I found. Hopefully will last until I can get a replacement shaft, or another season and I'll be upgrading to a Titan 205
Old 01-25-2017, 08:40 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 341914
Nice rig man, where are you located. I'm in Saskatoon me and a few buddies have been talking about making a trip west some time
taylorbok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017, 04:02 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 708218
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbok View Post
Nice rig man, where are you located. I'm in Saskatoon me and a few buddies have been talking about making a trip west some time
Thanks. I'm pretty far west, Houston BC. Only about a 28 hr drive for ya but your more than welcome to come on down
Old 01-26-2017, 06:00 AM   #37 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 343
Nice work! I like how you bake the paint on....
Attached Images

cj8scrambld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2017, 11:00 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 708218
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj8scrambld View Post
Nice work! I like how you bake the paint on....
Haha, thanks. Yeah stove works minty for drying paint for sure
Old 01-26-2017, 11:12 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 708218
So with the shape some of the gears in my case are in, and no replacements available, my plan is to mechanically lock it into 3:1 so I have at least a functional 2-speed tcase for the time being. Hoping this lasts the season, Ill be swapping it out to a Titan205 setup.

Anybody have any thoughts for repair for this gear? I was thinking of filling it with some weld and then turning it back down on the lathe, bad idea? or just runner till she fawkin blows...I have the replacement bearings needed just wondering what to do about this. Im at the point were I dont give a fawk about it, but would be nice if it lasted another season..
Old 02-02-2017, 03:03 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 708218
Got the case all cleaned up and cleaned up and de-burred the gears a bit. I got the new thrust bearings in and got some good synthetic oil. With no available replacement parts Im going to run it, till it fawkin blows

Case going back together, I moved the breather to the top of the case cause the Stak is a better oil pump than Tcase. Hopefully it works better in this location

I wanted to put a site tub on it also. But the drain plugs are British standard thread...wtf? Nothing available in the small town I live in so drilled the center of the plug and tapped 1/8 pipe and used some street elbows

And now onto the Ghetto I had to address the issue of the range selection shaft from popping out. I bolted on the shifter bracket, which is beef at 3/8. Range shaft is the center one.

And then cut and drilled some 3/4" plate

And welded on some spacers

And test fit, It shoulders up against the rail, and threaded the nut on. Cant move in either direction. The bottom 3/8 bolt threads into the case and top through the bracket

Im going to make another with bigger spacers to lock into 5:1 if needed. Not ideal I know. Hopefully it works until I can get something else lined up.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:00 PM   #41 (permalink)
gettin there

Member # 232666
Hero case???
Old 02-03-2017, 07:54 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 708218
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingfire View Post
Hero case???
No, I wish. It's a Stak 3 speed monster box
Old 02-03-2017, 08:15 AM   #43 (permalink)
gettin there

Member # 232666
Quote:
No, i meant when your stak takes an epic shit
Old 02-03-2017, 03:15 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 708218
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingfire View Post
Quote:
No, i meant when your stak takes an epic shit
Haha, and I'll post pics when it does. By the time a hero arrived at my door would be about $7000 Canuck Bucks so no. Ill be getting a 205 prepped and will be most likely going with a Titan from NWF in front of it.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:29 PM   #45 (permalink)
gettin there

Member # 232666
Quote:
Haha, and I'll post pics when it does. By the time a hero arrived at my door would be about $7000 Canuck Bucks so no. Ill be getting a 205 prepped and will be most likely going with a Titan from NWF in front of it.
Good choice. I like the setup on the ecobox too. I'm a long way off from doubler though lol. Keep it going, you have good vids!
Old 03-27-2017, 01:36 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 708218
I did a bunch of cleaning and re-arranging in my shop so truck was on hold until then, anyways rolled that junk back in and started to go at it

I got the tcase back in and buttoned up, Got my heater install finished, and a few misc loose ends tidied up. Got rid of my single battery and went duals, looked at different locations, but ended up just mounting them in the bed.

And mounted in, the back mounts tie into my fuel cell mount and fronts I welded on some 2x2 1/4" flatbar and drilled and tapped them. Im going to build an aluminum storage box for the rear and will cover up the batteries and protect the posts from contacting anything
Old 03-27-2017, 01:45 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 708218
After finishing some things I was able to get out for a test wheel with some friends. Was a great day in the snow. Truck ran well, I did chuck my water pump belt, but replaced it with my spare and we were off again. My efi was running shitty, kept getting an 02 fault code, but Im pretty sure I screwed the sensor when I put in the wrong race fuel(leaded) so will change that out. Truck was running good enough for a fun beat down. Tcase mod worked..for now and had zero issues with it. My temps are now way more in check and Im sure with the 02 sensor replaced will get better yet as my tune was waay out. A few pics, Im bad at taking pics and not many action shots, but a few from the day anyways...

Old 03-30-2017, 10:12 AM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 708218
Figured it was time to tackle the bedsides, so went and dug them out of the snow and measured up.

I originally was going to go with a 60" bedside, but decided there was a bit more overhang than I wanted. So cut them down to 53", marked a 44" wheel opening to give me an idea. This is at 60"

Then Sectioned out another 7" from the back to get them down to 53". Pretty short considering the front fender is 57" long

Tackline...

And hacked back together

Now just have to pull the truck back in and fit them on and give them a splash of paint. Might even get motivated to actually finish paint the whole truck, well see how many beers I end up having
Old 04-01-2017, 07:03 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 708218
Backed the truck back into the shop and set on the besides rough and dirty to get an idea

And I picked up a set of comp tires- Falken MT1 9.5 24s. Pretty nasty compared to my TSLs

Old 05-08-2017, 11:06 AM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 708218
So got the bedsides finally mounted and painted. Made some simple tube clamps to mount them to the cage work.

And used some 7/16" round stock to attach to the bedsides

All mounted up and spray bombed. I will eventually make the tailgate functional, but for now its welded shut

The entire "rear clip" will come off easily with removal of a few clamps

Last edited by HILLBILT; 05-08-2017 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in